Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DFMon - Custom display for in game combat/alert messages V0.9  (Read 36577 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: DFMon - Advanced Alert/Combat monitoring (WINDOWS ONLY) V0.5
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:24 am »

Nice, I'll probably stick it in the LNP now :)

There are still some issues:  the overlay is much improved, but persists in ways that the vanilla ticker doesn't - eg in the stocks screen, units, and so on, even the start menu where there should be nothing.  The offset is still a little off when windowed, but this is a minor quibble at best.  It hides Falconne's dwarf monitor happiness stats on the bottom right - an option to unhide this, or just deactivate the combat half would be nice. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 04:04:49 am »

Nice, I'll probably stick it in the LNP now :)

There are still some issues:  the overlay is much improved, but persists in ways that the vanilla ticker doesn't - eg in the stocks screen, units, and so on, even the start menu where there should be nothing.  The offset is still a little off when windowed, but this is a minor quibble at best.  It hides Falconne's dwarf monitor happiness stats on the bottom right - an option to unhide this, or just deactivate the combat half would be nice.

- I can't do anything about the persisting :( It's really just a dumb overlay, it doesn't know anything about the Dwarf fortress window underneath it other than it's size and position.

- Offset can be tweaked in the settings (and your tweaks will be saved).  Hit the spanner and then change the value in  Tweak Rel PosY until you are happy with the result. (unfortunately currently you have to apply the settings changes so the monitor reloads to view this change) Perhaps I need to make the process of this simpler...

- There is no longer a combat half to the monitor, you can have as many or as few mini monitors as you want (more than three is just silly unless you have a big monitor though). This is done in the settings on the Filter Categories tab (Untick Mini mon? for the categories you don't want to show).

- To see the happiness stats simply change the program width in the settings  (Tweak Rel Width). I suppose I could change the program to resize the mini monitor window to only use whatever width it needs at any one time... Personally I like it LONG so I can read longer messages. (Something the native one doesn't handle.

Any changes you make to the settings are persisted in current.xml. Feel free to setup the ones you'd like as standard and then save the settings over the default.xml file. These would then be one the ones seen by anyone using it for the first time through LNP.... This also allows you to bypass the initial directory prompt for them, as long as you run the program once after putting it in the bundle location.

Thanks for the feedback :)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 05:14:01 am »

Heh, I should have played more before posting...  This solves all of my hesitations.  12/10!

Tweak Rel Width is great, and I've used it to fix my issue (and saved it) - but I imagine it might work oddly on different screen sizes by cutting too much or too little.  A relative or proportional width thing would be cool.  Basically, people can handle this themselves though. 

The one without a workaround is that it can't be auto-launched by the LNP:  I get an error of DF not found before it fiishes launching - maybe a configurable delay, or a 5 second pause on open or something?  Opening DFMon also moves and resizes DF every time, which can be pretty annoying. 
 Donations here.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 05:44:36 am »

I'll make you a custom LNP build tonight, I will need to add a sleep to the code so that it waits for Dwarf fortress to have loaded.

The moving and resizing issue is to ensure that it correctly latches onto the right screen... I will see if I can think of a workaround :)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 05:54:13 am »

Thanks :).  For clarity - I'm not planning to always have it autolaunch, but having the option will make a fair few people happy, so maybe release as v0.5.1?
 Donations here.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:43:21 am »

Sorry for jump in.  But this seems pretty awesome for adding it to the MWDF bundle.

In the state of the mod right now, can be used with the actual MWDF? (without get a pretty error than could damage a game).

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »

Basically it currently doesn't show messages which are added to df by df hack... So it isn't suitable for use with mods which add their own announcements to df through dfhack.

The next version will have a work around... Along with some totally new fuctionality like only show message x every y seconds. Not planning too much else except a start screen so you can run the tool and edit settings without having dwarf fortress running.

Probably going to leave the adventure mode version until after toady releases the new version in case loafs has changed. The new version will probably have new messages I need to add to the default parser settings if nothing else!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »

This is fantastic.  Please keep up the great work!

Edit for feature request:

Would it be possible to have the combat log focus and highlight the participants in each exchange?

So, for example, I'm watching a combat turn-by-turn with the combat monitor window open to the side.  As each report pops up, the attacker and defender are each highlighted in the game window.  Or I can scroll back through the reports in the window, and it will do the same for each report as I select it.

It's always annoyed me how much effort it takes if you really want to follow and tell what's going on in any combat involving many participants.  You have to zoom to each combat report and then 'v' over everybody around to get a good idea of who is doing what and where.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 06:51:25 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 12:56:50 am »

How is going the development? I am really interested in this.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 01:43:35 am »

Would it be possible to have the combat log focus and highlight the participants in each exchange?

So, for example, I'm watching a combat turn-by-turn with the combat monitor window open to the side.  As each report pops up, the attacker and defender are each highlighted in the game window.  Or I can scroll back through the reports in the window, and it will do the same for each report as I select it.

It's always annoyed me how much effort it takes if you really want to follow and tell what's going on in any combat involving many participants.  You have to zoom to each combat report and then 'v' over everybody around to get a good idea of who is doing what and where.

This is a great idea.... But unfortunately it is also totally out with my programs scope. The best I could do for you would be to reformat the text to make it more obvious... Say names in bold? Or different names in different colours for messages which are close together...

Would anything like that be useful?

I am worjing on the next version just now... But I've got lots of stuff to do re:dfhack integration which I'm hoping will make it into the next version... So could be a little while.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2013, 03:22:01 am »

The new v4 is out somewhere. :D
v4 of what?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »

This is a great idea.... But unfortunately it is also totally out with my programs scope. The best I could do for you would be to reformat the text to make it more obvious... Say names in bold? Or different names in different colours for messages which are close together...

Would anything like that be useful?

I am worjing on the next version just now... But I've got lots of stuff to do re:dfhack integration which I'm hoping will make it into the next version... So could be a little while.

Hmm... maybe I should start bugging Putnam or someone else about making something like that.  I think it would be the best thing ever :D

I could see it being helpful to format in some matching up of combat opponents.  Currently it reads like "The Soldier hits the Goblin!", but there are 20 soldiers and goblins in the combat.  If you did some kind of color-coding or numbering of the log reports, you could at least tell more easily how participants are matching up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2013, 07:56:54 pm »

The new v4 is out somewhere. :D
v4 of what?
no. Its a test build, there is no finished, official release. Be patient.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2] 3