Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DFMon - Custom display for in game combat/alert messages V0.9  (Read 36449 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
DFMon - Custom display for in game combat/alert messages V0.9
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:50 am »

Hi all,

I've uploaded V0.9 to the downloads page! Please check it out as it is a significant improvement over earlier versions. I do not have time tonight to rework all the text below.. but rest assured I will soon! (There is a PDF help guide included in the download). I have updated the changelog below though.

**WARNING this application is only designed/tested for WINDOWS 8/7/XP, Other operating systems currently won't work (If this becomes popular enough I will put in the hours to make it so**

CHANGELOG:
V0.1 -> V0.5
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
V0.5 -> V0.9
/CHANGELOG

Hi all,

Inspired by 100s of annoying job cancellation requests I've thrown together a program to do away with spam and replace the in game alerting system.... It's pretty nice.

Features:
  • Setup a list of categories to display and then what alerts you want to display within them. ALL other game text is hidden, effectively removing spam.
  • Mini monitor to replace in game announcement, can display alerts of various categories
  • Main monitor to view announcements minus spam. As many tabs as you like
  • Ability to turn on or off various types of messages and customise what colours they are
  • Choose your own font and sizes
  • Choose precisely what alerts to PAUSE and ZOOM on. Zooming is a bit buggy though!
  • Customization filters which allow you to filter what is displayed (See settings screenshot)
  • Customization Exception Filters which allow you to filter specific messages from within filters (See example below)
  • Save/load your settings and filters for full customisation

Current limitations/Future improvements:
  • Font colors are NOT yet precisely the same as in dwarf fortress by default, but can be customized to be so.
  • Font style and size are the same for all announcements.
  • Only Tested on Windows 8/7/XP. Will almost certainly not function on MAC/Linux, will look at improving this if there is enough interest

Screenshots (from version 0.1):
Current limitations/Future improvements:
  • Font colors are NOT yet precisely the same as in dwarf fortress by default, but can be customized to be so.
  • Font style and size are the same for all announcements.
  • Cannot *YET* pause on specific lines
  • Cannot *YET* zoom on specific lines (I need to compile a list of all zoomable messages first....)
  • Only Tested on Windows 7. May not look as good on Windows XP and will almost certainly not function on MAC/Linux, will look at improving this if there is enough interest
  • Currently settings are saved to Current.xml, plans to make this fortress specific and give user finer control

Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7946

Screenshots:

Mini monitor:

Mini monitor + Combat:

Combat monitor:

Alert Monitor:

Settings Screen:

Usage:
Simply download, unzip and run the exe. (and read the PDF file it comes with)

***TESTING***
  • Please feel free to test your gamelog and let me know if the default filters don't pick up anything
  • I'd love to hear if you think the filters should be simpler/more complex or grouped differently

NOTE
If it won't work *AT ALL* then you need to install .NET 4.0 on your computer... I'm hoping that won't be the case though!

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=225702
from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5a4x27ek.aspx
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:23:08 pm by Ravendarksky »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: DFMon - Advanced Alert/Combat monitoring (WINDOWS ONLY) V0.1
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:51:10 am »

Nice work. Funny to see something like this pop up out of nowhere... I thought TheGazelle was working on something like this?

It appears your lower bar completely hides the entire bar that DF puts there, including the happyness counter that falconne added with dfhack.

Does this somehow support custom announcement done by dfhack? Many scripts give user feedback, for example siren. Will it show in your external window?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:11:23 am »

Nice work. Funny to see something like this pop up out of nowhere... I thought TheGazelle was working on something like this?

It appears your lower bar completely hides the entire bar that DF puts there, including the happyness counter that falconne added with dfhack.

Does this somehow support custom announcement done by dfhack? Many scripts give user feedback, for example siren. Will it show in your external window?
- I had started making this before TheGazelle posted their project :( and since I believe my one has a larger scope I decided to continue with it. However since I'm using C# and WPF I imagine my program will become obsolete eventually as it is replaced by one which will also work for linux and macs. I'm happy for my ideas to be extended/borrowed/improved upon. I'm happy to give The Gazelle any help they want as well with their program

- I will need to look at the happiness counter and see what can be done, currently I just force a window to stay ontop of everything else and use the dwarf fortress position to position it

- To operate correctly the program has to be able to recognize every single line of text from the dwarf fortress log (or else how would it know the difference between a missed line and one we actually want to filter?). Do all these announcements write to gamelog.txt? If so it would be simply be a case of adding them to the filter you want them to appear under. If they do something more clever and inject text straight into dwarf fortress somehow then currently this won't be picked up by my tool.

A useful thing to do is open up the settings and run your game log through the "Search Gamelog for Missed Filters". This will tell you what, if any gamelog text is NOT being picked up correctly by my tool. Currently it ignores some world gen stuff.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:13:45 am by Ravendarksky »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:30 am »

If they do something more clever and inject text straight into dwarf fortress somehow then currently this won't be picked up by my tool.
They do exactly that. No gamelog entries. Dfhack can make those, but most scripts just decide not to, because no reason for it exists (existed?).

And Wow, someone who can write C++ and do overlays... can I borrow your skills for stupid dwarf tricks ? ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 02:26:35 pm »

If they do something more clever and inject text straight into dwarf fortress somehow then currently this won't be picked up by my tool.
They do exactly that. No gamelog entries. Dfhack can make those, but most scripts just decide not to, because no reason for it exists (existed?).

And Wow, someone who can write C++ and do overlays... can I borrow your skills for stupid dwarf tricks ? ;)
Actually just had an idea to move the happiness counters to the left of screen. The right side is used for levels (although there is limited value at least for me) but the left side is not used for anything

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:10:04 pm »

PTW, this looks great.  Between this and The Gazelle's gamelog parsing stuff, maybe we should launch a campaign to have best practise for scripts that insert announcements to also write to the gamelog. 

the left side is not used for anything
It does flag availability of combat, sparring, and hunting reports, but there's plenty of room below that.

Edit:  after playing around with it for a bit: 
 - Is there some way to define a relative path, for newb-friendly-ness in my LNP?
 - I noticed that the minibar (heh) was often off by a few pixels both vertically and horizontally, playing windowed and non-maximised
 - If there's some way of setting the minibar to stay just above DF rather than everything, that would be good - it seems weird/hackish when it stays above eg Therapist as well
 - The big window adds new stuff to the top, not the bottom; this is the reverse of the convention everywhere else (eg stock announcements)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:40:23 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:16 am »

You can use the "tweak" options to change the width and position of the minibar.

I'll look into the other changes tonight, THanks for the ideas :)

I'm happy to update my program to read alerts straight from DF rather than from the game log... but I've no idea how to do that! I will download the dfhack source and hope it gives me some idea =S

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 01:39:21 am »

The lua scripts do it like this:

Code: [Select]
local function announcement_example() dfhack.gui.showAnnouncement(
    'BlaBla an example has happened.',
    COLOR_CYAN, true)end

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:16 am »

Thanks Meph, I'll look into that.

As for doing some interface stuff for you... I'm happy to give it a go! C# is not c++ though.... but I should really get my finger out and learn some more c++ anyway!

C# is what I use at work so when time is limited (which it always is) I prefer to use it.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:19:15 pm »

PTW

So far, it is working as intended and I'm on Windows XP using the Masterwork Mod. I'm going to be using this for combat alerts though.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 05:10:15 pm »

PTW

So far, it is working as intended and I'm on Windows XP using the Masterwork Mod. I'm going to be using this for combat alerts though.
Hi 00112,

Thanks for posting! How does it look? Can you post a screenshot of the mini monitor window (in both transparent and windowed mode?)

Is there anything you would like different with the combat alerts? I was considering changing the combat filters to be a few separate things like "Direct combat", "Status Updates", "Environmental Hazards", "Combat Spam"

Any and all feedback is welcome :)

Next version will have at least:

- Top down OR bottom up alerts
- *Hopefully* only on top of DF window rather than all
- Option to pause on specific filters.
- Settings applying without restarting
- Default setting and width changes
- Proper DF alert message colours.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:06:20 pm »

I would prefer that the combat alert to be separated into two things: sparing and everything else.

Image 1 Image 2

Both windows are not transparent even if I set them to be transparent. If I want to run it, I have to delete the current settings and let it run on using the default settings. It will crash if I tried to change  and save a setting. I modify the settings I want onto the default settings file to get around it. The df window will maximize every time I do this, but I don't mind it when I can resize it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 02:28:24 am »

00112: If you run it with Masterwork you will not see the custom announcements I added, which is not too bad if you know the mod in and out. Otherwise you are missing out on some crucial info, mostly about the researcher.

Ravendarksky: I'll send you a PM.

topherclay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:37 am »

This is a particularly good addon for people running multiple monitors. You can jack up the font big time and just plop a whole window for announcements on another screen. The hands down biggest perk for me is gonna be the first time some birds dive bomb my citizens or a siege pops up out of no where, I just can't wait to be able to filter out all the "runs away" spam and actually see the combat.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFMon - Advanced Alert/Combat monitoring (WINDOWS ONLY) V0.5
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:59:21 am »

New version is out! Addresses most of the issues people have mentioned as well as a few significant improvements.

- Error logging
- A lot more customization
- Saving/loading makes more sense
- Easier to change
- Quick filters
- Uses relative paths (for Lazy newb pack)
- Doesn't stay on top of all windows now
- Custom zoom/pause functionality on individual alerts
- Can now filter by multiple seperate keywords ie job AND cancel AND web will only match alerts which contain all of these words.
+ much more
Pages: [1] 2 3