Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. Now Free/Open-Source  (Read 29725 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. Now Free/Open-Source
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »

Are you asking whether it is controllable with a mouse or whether it has a pony faction*?

* The last time I played War Thunder, there was a pony faction.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 03:08:52 pm »

War thunder has a pony faction?

Besides the point.

What I was asking is that, Is it a complicated simulator that requires a bunch of buttons or is it a more arcadey type game.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14:12 pm »

Crash or crash? :V
Or.
But yeah, inescapable mission failure sucks. I'll just have to avoid that ship from now on.
What I was asking is that, Is it a complicated simulator that requires a bunch of buttons or is it a more arcadey type game.
It requires more buttons that Freespace but less than X3.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 03:14:45 pm »

Alright. I might DL later if I get the chance

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:28 pm »

So I made lieutenant, but now I've encountered a huge bug.

Attempting to dock while piloting a Raptor causes my landing gear to clip through the bottom of the landing bay, making me crash.

you could turn easy landings on, i think you are 'docked' even if your hovering in the middle of the landing bay then.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 03:35:54 pm »

I played a fair bit of Starshatter when it was released free and i had some fun, there are plenty of good ideas.
The "what you do is mattering" in the campaign by example, planetary attacks, space skirmishes, the multiple possible battle roles depending on your rank (being a fighter pilot is really nothing like commanding the fleet) etc...

But after a while i felt a lot that if i wasn't doing anything myself (whatever was my rank, from a lowly pilot to destroyer command) , there was nothing happening (but i wasn't the only center of attention when something was happening, i saw sometime capitals ships duking it out while i was on my weak fighter), in some sectors there's simply no enemy, took me several patrols, etc... mission in a sector to finally understand they were all useless because there was none out of my fleet in them and i had to select another sector instead.

When something was actually occuring, it was very fun. But despite there are 3 flight modes (arcade or more or less realistic newtonians), i didn't found a single one feeling "right" , maybe because i was flying with a mouse , but still the most realistic one is not as good as using realistic shuttles in Orbiter and the arcade one is not as good as in Freespace by example.

I hope there are coders that will pick on the source code of it to improve and develop it more, it has a lot of potential of being one of the best space game ever, but when playing you feel "... it's nearly there, but not yet" .
But the potential is still there, i had some fun.

Though you really need to use the time compression most of the time, getting in range of anything when using the big ships takes forever and a patrol time is extremely boring when you simply find nothing
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:41:05 pm by Robsoie »

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »

Yeah, it can be boring if there isnt anything in the same sector as you [which implies you basically won that sector]. Hopefully in such situations you can just switch to a different sector [by changing your squadron], or if your in command, outright leave with your squadron. It's not like every sector can be empty without you winning the campaign, but if neither of those are options you may have to advance time until something happens, which could suck. I guess you could just 'start mission' 'end mission' multiple times, picking the farthest in advance time one if more then ones available. It is, i think, a real problem and one of the biggest flaws of the game, but one that can be mitigated a bit.
Also, its worth mentioning often the lack of action in a sector can be lack of seeing a enemy, not a lack of enemy, in which case you could just scout a bit.. if you look around you may be able to see capital ships in the distance, even 1/2 the map away, if you squint. In such cases you could just launch a probe [if your a capital] or fly within the 200-250km of it necessary to 'see' it on sensors.. which will be transmitted back to your fleet, and then they will act on it.

Also: yes, i would love for interest in this game to be rekindled so it could be improved. Dynamic campaign multiplayer would be massively fun, as would general ai improvements, more ships, ect.. Hell, even a new game in this genre would be welcome, as every space game avoids the whole fleet-operations/capital-ship stuff in space games. I really would like to see more military-sci-fi games that focus on fleet operations.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:53:15 pm by Rift »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 04:28:01 pm »

This is confusing. I flew up to the mines (and didn't seem to be able to stop my ship, or my throttle wasn't having any noticeable effect), and at no point could I seem to shoot at them (or target them, pressing the target buttons did nothing noticeable). Eventually they started shooting at me, and I fired missiles or rockets or something at them, which caused explosions without killing them, and then I died... and the next screen was someone congratulating me on getting promoted. Whaaa?

* also could not map mousewheel or mouse buttons to anything, setting compatibility to windows xp, or anything, made it run in a window, etc.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 04:35:30 pm »

Promotions are point related, and you get points for kills so you can fail a mission and get promoted.

If you're having problems with it running in a window, put your cursor on the window top (Or as close as you can get it) and double-left-click. That should bring it up to full screen.

Ships follow a physics system, so even if your thrusters aren't firing you'll still keep moving. Holding "end" will fire your retrothrusters to help slow you down.

I don't bother going close to mines; instead, load your ship with rockets. Each rocket pod holds 12 rockets (Which fire 4 per volley) which is enough to kill 3 mines each.

Is there some trick to avoiding missiles that I'm missing? I drop a decoy and immediately turn away and the missile still get me.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:10 pm »

Are you asking whether it is controllable with a mouse or whether it has a pony faction*?

* The last time I played War Thunder, there was a pony faction.

It was an april fools joke and that faction is all but gone.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 05:12:26 pm »

Has anyone reached the Foothill base assault yet? It's freaking impossible. Literally impossible as the target I'm supposed to destroy is air and my wingmates fire all their AGMs at it doing nothing. All the while infinite amounts of enemy fighters are launched and invulnerable SAM/AA batteries are firing at me.

It's Turn THREE.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »

Is there some trick to avoiding missiles that I'm missing? I drop a decoy and immediately turn away and the missile still get me.
You may have multiple missiles on you.. or launching the decoy too late to matter, it seems to be more effective if you launch before.
However, some people fire multiple missiles... and sometimes  a decoy doesnt suck more then 1 away
im not sure what the 'foothill' base is.. but i blew up ground bases with fighters AGM's took quite a few of them though.

Edit: in retrospect, i have seen a invincible SAM Before, but it was actually just destroyed, and bugged out [so wasnt shooting]
Never seen anything invincible and shooting.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:30:12 pm by Rift »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 08:08:01 pm »

Ships follow a physics system, so even if your thrusters aren't firing you'll still keep moving. Holding "end" will fire your retrothrusters to help slow you down.

I had it on newtonian, but I couldn't tell how fast I was going or whether my attempts to change my throttle or thrust forward or backward were having any effects. As far as I could tell there was a number which I took to be speed, as it was high and kept going up, but pressing the all stop key had no effect, and pressing the reverse thrust button had no effect, but ignoring it and trying to shoot rockets at mines apparently made it approach zero somehow (even though the numbers next to the mine I was aimed at went from 75 to 50 to 25 and back to 75, and two were shooting at me at 75, the rest weren't, one wasn't shooting at me at 25 but did when it went back up to 75...  ???).

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 09:27:03 pm »

Sounds to me like you had your scanner/computer damaged and it was giving you bad numbers. That might be a thing. [for how far you are from things anyway].
I never flew pure Newtonian without having a extremely hard time... so while i think your amazing for doing it, if your having problems maybe you should try a different one for awhile.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:28:43 pm by Rift »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »

I figured out what was going on (somewhat) - what it's showing is a velocity which is measured relative to the target (or nav point). So when I'm flying past something in a straight line, it will drop to 0 as I pass it even though my speed has not changed at all. And then it will continue to drop.

I went back and did most of the training missions, until I started getting irritated by the way the right mouse button both fired missiles and caused the ship to spin, with no way to unbind them (I couldn't find anything in the keys that could make it spin, the J key did nothing at all, and only one thing had joy 2 bound to it - but I tried unbinding joy 2 from the secondary weapon fire function, but it continued to both rotate the ship and fire when I pressed RMB without holding it down for more than a quarter second or so).

So I could neither leave firing missiles only on space and rotating on RMB, nor firing missiles on RMB and rotating on other keys. I can't bind mouse buttons to anything either. It just ignores them when I press them in the key binding dialog. :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6