Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. Now Free/Open-Source  (Read 29572 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. Now Free/Open-Source
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 01:32:13 pm »

Sounds interesting. Might have to give it a shot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 05:26:02 pm »

Going against a DD Broadsword - what should I be targetting to remove their anti-missile capabilities? Weapons Pri? They're supposed to have some "Heliocon" cannons or somesuch, but I can't find them. Also, they're way stronger than me DD Spectre, and I was damaged in previous engagements, so it's gonna be a tough one...

And again, those buggy situations are caused by alt-tabbing at any point during the game. If you don't, it works :)

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 05:32:22 pm »

It's fun, but a little buggy. Moving the mouse to the bottom of the screen causes it to lose focus for some reason, and I also have the problem with docking. The carrier tutorial is a little buggy too. One of the fighters I sent out, then called back, crashed into the carrier. Good job, pilot ::). I guess it was their flight tutorial too.

This is likely caused by either you not enableing the mods [in the options>mods] or by the carrier being in movement.. Otherwise this shouldn't happen anymore. [It may still happen extremely extremely rarely.. but i can say with some confidence that the fan mods/patches included in the link fix it unless the carriers moving/turning.]

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 05:41:29 pm »

Which mods should you enable though? There's a few of them in there. I've tried enabling several, but then it seems to disable them eventually. Right now I have only one enabled.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 06:02:19 pm »

Two of the four mods seem to be unloaded whenever you load the game, no idea why.

To fix the mouse thing, r-click the game exe, go to properties->Compatability and set it to Windows XP service pack 2. This will cause the game to run in a window. Once you run the game, move the cursor to the top of the screen and double click. This *should* cause the game to expand to full screen.

Alt+Enter may also switch to full screen.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 11:18:05 am »

Two of the four mods seem to be unloaded whenever you load the game, no idea why.
Because they aren't actually there, I think. I can't find they're .dat files anywhere, anyway.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »

no sub-title for no english language.... how i can pass the tutorial??

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 12:19:16 pm »

Yes, the lack of subtitles is an annoyance, my understanding of "talked" english is much lower than "written" one, had some troubles sometime in the tutorial (but it's usually a matter of following the nav points and shooting what's near them) . Fortunately when in campaign, there's no problem with the talking anymore as you're the one that decide what to do and the text briefings are enough.

looks like the guy that made the .7z file had played with mods, but removed them while forgetting to remove some of the logs. In the directory there's by example a mod.cfg that list
Code: [Select]
MOD_CONFIG

mod: "Mods/StarWarsHD2.dat"

Talking about mods, the place that was hosting them ceased to exist but apparently the files have been moved to there :
http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/category/102-starshatter-the-gathering-storm/

It seems there are plenty of them, more than a hundred in the "ship fleet mods" category
But without description, no idea what are those mods (out of the ones that have an obvious title of course like)
So for those that were playing Starshatter community was still strong, is there some recommendation ?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:22:25 pm by Robsoie »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2013, 09:11:33 am »

So anyone know how to pilot a destroyer? Should I stay at standoff range when facing other destroyers or what?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2013, 11:28:57 am »

Playing through Operation Shining Fortress. First engagement(flying a destroyer), they lose about half of the capital ships in the fleet in this system(of two fleets in seperate systems) and their carrier, Cyclops, is damaged. Next few fleet engagements see the loss of most of the rest. Flying fighter patrols, I tend to take out at least 6 per flight. Force:Space fighter kill/loss ratios in total are about 10:1, if not better. Then campaign script ganks our carrier group.

We're still kicking Hegemony ass, and if I had the rank, I'd fly a cruiser down their throats. As it is, the only capship group I can transfer two has two badly damaged destroyers, the Typhon(50% damage) and Chimaera(70% damaged). First fighter engagement in the replacement carrier group sees 22 enemy fighters lost with no friendlies.

I can't tell, does the Forces page showing the amount of craft left for each side update to show destroyed fighters? It certainly shows destroyed/damaged capital ships.

Also, is there any other place to get some of those mods? The one posted above requires signing up.

So anyone know how to pilot a destroyer? Should I stay at standoff range when facing other destroyers or what?
Yeah. It works for me, especially if you're going up against Hegemony Broadsword-class, who fire some kind of missile(Nike) that my PDBs won't fire on for some reason, and NPC ships' PDBs can barely hit.

At least, try and keep your distance. However, if you're going fast enough for torpedoes to hit at 100km, you're probably going too fast to stop before getting into laser range. It also helps if you've got two destroyers shooting at one, especially if one fires on their port and the other on starboard. It'll overwhelm their PDBs. Frigates lack PDBs, so they'll die long before closing to gun range.

I do not reccommend mouse or even joystick flight for capital ships. Just use the arrow keys to set the heading and your ship will turn to that heading.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2013, 01:23:19 pm »

It seems the advantage in closing in when you're in a capital ship melee is that your missiles will not be destroyed by the enemy PDB and will all hit (assuming your lasers brought down the enemy shield)
But in the same time at that range you're in a world of hurt yourself too.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:08 am »

So now that I finally got this game working and played it, I have to say it's pretty interesting. I'm on the first (non-Tutorial) campaign, and it's been fun. However, it really has highlighted the lacking AI. Not that it's ALWAYS lacking, but when a wingman and myself - being an utter noob - can wipe out a minefield no problem, and a wing of 4 AI loses 3 ships to another minefield... I kind of worry about the campaign at large.

Apparently the Carrier group I'm in has also lost a Destroyer day 1, and all we did was take a Frigate down with it, followed by a sortie to finish off the second one that had attacked. I was tasked with destroying the Frigate... but for whatever reason, another wing beat us to it.

It was admittedly pretty awesome to watch two Raptors soar by left and low, let loose missiles, and fly away as the Frigate blew up. Explosions in space are always cool, so long as you're not the one doing the 'sploding.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2013, 11:49:03 am »

And make sure that you're not too close to the thing that explodes. That hurts you too. That's why you should perform a break manuever(ie, move somewhere else) after dropping a decoy; the missile you've duped will hit the decoy and explode, possibly still damaging you.

Likewise, point-blank torpedo duels aren't usually a great tactic.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »

All the large ships I've seen go out in pretty spectacular explosion. I remember once when I ran into an I2800 Cargo ship and emptied my 24 rockets into it; it went out in a glorious fireball and took out a nearby enemy squadron of 4 raptors.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »

Oi, this is boring. I'm on day 14 of operation Firestorm and we seem to be in a stalemate. I'm not a captain yet, close though. I'm stuck flying fighters since I blew up all the destroyers already.

Edit: Halfway through day fifteen the plot advanced.

Why do enemy patrols come in fours when Force carriers only ever send out two fighters for a patrol anyway?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:07:13 pm by Vgray »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6