Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game project: The Lair of the Giant Amoebas  (Read 1017 times)

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game project: The Lair of the Giant Amoebas
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:59:21 am »

Hi all.

This month I had some free time in my hands, so I decided to make a small game. What resulted is "The Lair of the Giant Amoebas".

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)

The game can be downloaded here, and you'll need Python and the pygame library to run it. It should be cross-platform (it works at least on Linux and Windows).

The goal of the game is to collect diamonds on each level, and not be eaten alive by the amoebas. They come in four colors: red ones attack you, green ones run away, yellow ones run away but attack if you come too close, and purple ones try to stay at a fixed distance (they all kill you if you run into them). The amoebas can also dissolve wooden walls for you. You move with the arrow keys, Esc quits the game, and if you feel like cheating, 'w' skips a level.

This is still a work in progress, so all comments are welcome.

EDIT: Newest version (0.1.1) available here. Use 'p' to pause the game.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:35:42 am by Arzgarb »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Game project: The Lair of the Giant Amoebas
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:54:38 am »

It's really hard! :) I haven't made it past level 2 yet ...

The amoeba behaviour is pretty cool, any chance of a brief explanation of how you achieve that effect?

In terms of gameplay, it works well in general, although I would say at this point it feels somewhat down to chance as to whether you can outpace an amoeba when trying to dodge them. If its possible to slow them down by a marginal amount say 10% or so, it might make it more fun to try and skirt round them.

Or perhaps just an option to quickly restart the level on death would be an alternative way to make it slightly less frustrating to play.

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:44:58 am »

Thanks for the feedback! I made it difficult on purpose, but I guess it quickly becomes frustrating to restart the game every time. I'll add a level restart option when I get to it :) I might also add a difficulty option that controls the speed of the amoebas.

The amoeba behaviour is pretty cool, any chance of a brief explanation of how you achieve that effect?

I'm glad you asked about the amoebas, because the game is largely an experiment with amoeba-like movement.

Spoiler: Technical explanation (click to show/hide)

In short, you just randomly grow and shrink the amoebas, but choose the probabilities so that they (in the long run) preserve their size and correctly react to the player.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:23 am »

Very interesting. Is the amoeba getting an end caught in the little two-tile sections a handy by-product of the behaviour - or a special case?

Or is that something that isn't supposed to happen?

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 07:44:51 am »

Very interesting. Is the amoeba getting an end caught in the little two-tile sections a handy by-product of the behaviour - or a special case?

Or is that something that isn't supposed to happen?

That was in fact an accidental by-product of how I choose whether a cell is eligible for being removed. I decided that it was good, and based levels 2 and 3 on it :D

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:46:37 am »

Aaah ... level 3.

I can't bring myself to skip level 2 yet. I'm sure I'll figure a way past that 2nd red amoeba ...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:16 am »

Which version of Python do I need?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 08:07:47 am »

Which version of Python do I need?

I have Python 2.7.3. It might work with other versions, but I'm not sure.

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:03 am »

Double posting for a new version (called 0.1.1), available here. It now has the option of restarting the current level upon death, four difficulty levels that control the attack speed of red and yellow amoebas, and a pause function (use the 'p' key). 'Hard' is identical to the original game. The difficulty levels have not been tested that much, and are subject to change based on your feedback.