Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Back to school thread: Textbook total: 1 kidney, 2 virgins and a goat.  (Read 5819 times)

PatriotSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread! Yaa... Booooo!
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 09:19:22 am »

I could swear that 1st May is the Labor day, but it probably is about those wacky US again with their nonconformity.

Nonconformity! How dare those arrogant bastards not conform!

Anyway...

School starts tomorrow... Don't know anything about the high school I'm going to this year, except that it sucks. Compared to the ones in Arizona, by ranking.

But lower standards means higher grades for me!     XD

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2013, 11:16:16 am »

But lower standards means higher grades for me!     XD
This statement is so true. Applications and final class rank this year make me wish I went to a stupider school, sometimes.

My year is going to be so busy. I'm the president of the anime club, a class officer (Ugh, why would I do that to myself? My class drives me up the wall), and a student rep. at the Board of Education meetings, on top of three AP courses. No honors courses though, but that's probably because I signed up for all AP classes D: Still, I'm excited for the 4th.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread: The world ends on 3 September
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2013, 12:09:21 pm »

Re: Textbooks
I spent $44 on a digital copy of my physics textbook and $66 on the key to the homework site.
Two books for my philosophy class, a total of under $25 used. They're small books.
Google told me I could get PDFs of my linear algebra and digital logic design textbooks for free so I did.

Which makes the total $69-$135. Deal with it, Otheramericans.

Re: Gen Ed
High school seems like the appropriate place for gen ed classes. If you know what you want to do by the time you get to college, you should be able to just do it. Branching out is still possible and encouraged, but you shouldn't have to take classes you know you will give zero shits about in college. If college were less expensive my argument may change but as it stands it's better as a way of milking you for more money than it is as a way to make you more enlightened.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »

As of today, I'm an university student.
I've got 3 lectures tomorrow: Latin, linguoculturology (what the hell is this thing?) and information technology.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 01:43:58 pm »

linguoculturology (what the hell is this thing?)
Presumably, it is about the relationship between language and culture.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »

linguoculturology (what the hell is this thing?)
Presumably, it is about the relationship between language and culture.

That sounds fascinating.
This is a blank sig.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:34 pm »

You lucky, lucky fools.
My school started on the 9th of August.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 05:58:40 pm »

Woooh I'm doing my GCSEs this year.
I only really have 3 or 4 of the 12 I have left that I'm at all concerned about. The rest are piss-easy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:50 pm »

America started school a fucking month ago, we've already ridden the but-I-don't-want-to train and have stepped off at let's-buckle-down-and-deal-with-this-shit station

ITT assuming all american schools start at the same time

My NYC friend somehow is starting 1.5 months later than I did.

Gotta say: I'm loving Statistics so far. Like, the math part of it is really fun (much like chemistry in which the math part of it was the only part I found bearable).
NYC reporting.

I start on September 9th. It's supposed to be 1 or 2 days after Labor Day, but NYC includes Jewish Holidays. Mazal tov goys, I'll listen to you schlubs kvetch about your schlepping. Man that shtick is thick, I'll need to retire my spiel at this rate.

New York Jewishness aside, I'm starting my 3rd and most important year of High school, and I am trying to avoid thinking about it while simultaneously studying for it. The PSAT, the SAT, the so-so and the other, etc. Bah I hate studying. It also doesn't help then when I do study, I'm bad at it, discouraging me further. Mostly time budgeting issues...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 07:09:46 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:02 am »

Welp. We got our books today, but half of them were missing somehow.
*sigh*

This school wouldn't be this school if everything went according to plan.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 10:08:31 am »

So, today my students weighed the Earth. Some of them even got to within 1000% of the answer. All in all, a grand success.
This is a blank sig.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Back to school thread: Textbook total: 1 kidney, 2 virgins and a goat.
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 10:59:54 pm »

You lucky, lucky fools.
My school started on the 9th of August.

I started on the 12th, but I'm pre-pharmacy and my university starts freshmen early. We had a whole week with campus all to ourselves, and no classes. Pre-pharmacy means that my textbooks are really fucking expensive though, I paid almost $500 for them, and I got a good number of 'em used. On top of that I had to buy an online pass separately for the used ones, that set me back another $150. Luckily CLEP tests have killed off most of my Gen-Ed requirements, but I already spend several hours per day studying and working. This'll be the pattern for 6 years, but my soul is prepared. At least it's interesting stuff, I spend most of my time on general biology and chemistry, with a healthy helping of calculus for good measure. Man am I glad I'm done with Gen-Ed though, I wouldn't want to have history and lit on top of all this.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:01 pm »

So, today my students weighed the Earth. Some of them even got to within 1000% of the answer. All in all, a grand success.
What, no smartasses who have the figure memorized?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 12:12:54 am »

I'm on my second week.  I can't decide whether it's relaxing or hellish yet, gonna have to wait until the first set of quizzes, see how hard they are.

I've got three literature surveys spanning basically all of British literary history (But skipping Shakespeare thankfully) and American history from Columbus to Fitzgerald.  Then there's a Critical Theory class and a Comm course on Persuasion.  The persuasion course is pretty relaxed, surprisingly enough so is the Crit Theory.  I'm not sure how the final works but if it works the way I think it does I'm gonna do a postcolonial reading of Watchmen (The Professor is doing another class on comics as literature, and Watchmen seems pretty well-suited to that kind of reading.)

The only problem is the bigass buckets of reading I have to do and the bigass Norton Anthologies I have to order.  One of the classes is online so that one shouldn't be a huge issue, and the other two both use take-home quizzes and drop the lowest grade.  So obviously I'm gonna slack off, see how bad the first quiz is, and decide how hard I'm gonna have to work from there.

I'm not worried.  The only problem is the dreams.  I have been having college dreams something fierce lately.  Usually I dream I'm in like the tenth week of the semester and I realize there's a class I completely forgot about.  Never even been there, don't even have the book.
Shoes...

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:20 am »

I'm starting college tomorrow. We have to wear suits as uniform.

Wat.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4