Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS on Mac update  (Read 3611 times)

shibby1295

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS on Mac update
« on: September 01, 2013, 04:56:32 pm »

I just got the latest version of LCS running on my Macbook Pro. It took just a smidgeon of doing, so I thought I'd document what I did. It's mostly the same as building on Linux, with just a few changes.

This is on OSX 10.84, 64 bit intel. Your mileage may vary. Also, I haven't played very much yet, so there could be bugs hiding in specific gameplay areas.

To get SVN:
  Install XCode via the App Store
  Open XCode, then go to the Downloads tab of the preferences menu
  Click the 'install' button next to "Command Line Tools"
To get autoconf: (in terminal):
  ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"
  brew install automake
To build LCS:
  svn co http://svn.code.sf.net/p/lcsgame/code/trunk lcsgame
  cd lcsgame/
  ./bootstrap
  LIBS="/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib" ./configure
  make
To play:
  src/crimesquad

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
Re: LCS on Mac update
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »

I have added your build notes to the main build notes file, LINUX_README.txt, as of revision 724, and credited you for writing those excellent build notes in the file. Now anyone who downloads the source code will have your build notes right there in that readme file in case they want to compile on Mac OS X. Unfortunately, from what I've read on the Wikipedia article about XCode, downloading it from the App Store only works on Mac OS X 10.7 and later, and not on earlier versions. 10.3 thru 10.6 all support XCode but not the latest versions, on those you have to download XCode from Apple's website instead of from the App Store, and they may need a developer account at Apple's website to download those older versions. But I am guessing if someone is able to get ahold of XCode on those older versions of Mac OS X, your instructions would probably work just fine. Anyway, thanks for your contributions! ;)
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

shibby1295

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:18:53 am »

Thanks, glad to help out!

I only needed XCode as a way of getting SVN. I haven't confirmed this, but I think I read while I was looking this up that older versions of OSX ship with SVN. Also, since SVN is open source and in no way an Apple product, it should be readily available elsewhere. Of course, there could be no end of other problems on previous versions; without actually trying it out on them, one can't really say.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:59:06 am »

My dad has a Mac OS X 10.3 machine, but he doesn't let me anywhere near it. Plus I'm on vacation for the next month. I could try sneaking onto his computer and seeing if I can compile Liberal Crime Squad on his Power Macintosh G4 with a PowerPC chip. I am guessing it would PROBABLY work but I can't be quite sure until I try it myself. What would REALLY be tough is compiling it on classic Mac OS, like version 9.2.2 or earlier. There's actually some pretty neat stuff in Mac OS 9.2.2, like the latest TrueType version of the Chicago font, with Unicode support (a lot more glyphs in it than the versions you find online). Getting that Unicode version of the Chicago font would be VERY useful for people who add Advanced SubStation Alpha subtitles to Japanese anime shows. But I'm getting off-topic, so back to the main topic, I will maybe see if I can compile Liberal Crime Squad on Mac OS X 10.3 if I have the chance. Which won't be for another month, as I am traveling overseas and my dad's Mac isn't.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »

Hello,

I'm having problems with my Mac build of LCS using the install instructions above.

Specifically, I want to be able to find my save file and rename it, so that I can play multiple games (with different play styles) simultaneously. I looked for save.dat (which is what the code calls it) all over my computer and can only conclude that it's not there and that the true save file is somewhere else.

I also want to be able to delete my save file and start over. In fiddling with it trying to find it, the LCS got scattered in Bugtober...

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:41 pm »

You don't have a hidden directory .lcs in your home directory?

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 04:23:30 pm »

Ah, no, that's what I didn't know to look for, and that's exactly where it was. Thank you very much!

tykavanaugh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:53:22 am »

Is there anyway you guys can post up a pre-packaged version for us less unix savvy mac users?

LANFEUST9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 07:52:33 am »

Hi everyone,

i entered the first batch of command in Terminal and ended up with this ...

can anyone help me ???

MacBook-Pro-de-Clement-Quentin:lcsgame utilsateur$ ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"
  brew install automake
-e:4: syntax error, unexpected '<'
<!DOCTYPE html>
 ^
-e:5: syntax error, unexpected '<'
<html>
 ^
-e:7: syntax error, unexpected '<'
    <meta charset='utf-8'>
     ^
-e:8: syntax error, unexpected '<'
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
     ^
-e:8: syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting $end
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
                                              ^
MacBook-Pro-de-Clement-Quentin:lcsgame utilsateur$   brew install automake
-bash: brew: command not found
MacBook-Pro-de-Clement-Quentin:lcsgame utilsateur$

PS : i did the Xcode stuff before !
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 07:54:33 am by LANFEUST9 »

LANFEUST9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 04:48:02 pm »

Livingstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:00:34 pm »

Notes to self:

Apparently /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib has some issues on my system related to _libiconv and _iconv naming mismatches, so what I did was to set LIBS="/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib", a library file provided by macports that has all the bells and whistles in place.

Command to examine library function naming scheme
Code: [Select]
nm /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib | grep iconv
Command to examine library arch-types
Code: [Select]
lipo -info /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
Running, duh! :P