Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fundamental Theorem of Osculation (Math Dating Sim)  (Read 7196 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fundamental Theorem of Osculation (Math Dating Sim)
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:42:46 pm »

I've been told I should do this, and Descan says he's A-OK with my taking the lead.

I'm going to try to use renpy to make some sort of dating sim in a bit, over the next few months.  The reason being, well, that Phoenix Wright philosophy game was pretty cool, right?  Maybe we could have a mathematician game!

I'm still not even at the point where I'm sure whether I want a female or male MC, but I'm rooting for a naive young person with a few routes (a little bit like the structure of Hatoful Boyfriend, maybe, though I could see it being more like Katawa-Shoujo; in any case, all fluff will be murdered with prejudice).  My expectation is that I'll be doing the writing, and if it looks like it's working well I may ask other people to help with music, art, etc.  Questions about moe-moe will be crowdsourced.  I know enough python and programming that I should be able to take care of that part on my own, however.

I'm not even sure what the framing device will be to explain why Our Hero(ine) is trying to date famous mathematicians, but at the moment I expect that:

a. Isaac Newton will be satisfying the tsundere/yandere position.
b. There will be at least one same-sex option and one opposite-sex option if I have to kill myself finding data on a female mathematician to put in.
c. G. H. Hardy is going to be in it.  It's happening.  He's a dick with HUGE amounts of gap moe, and it's happening.  I'll probably also add Ramanujan as a side character..
d. Erdos?  God knows he collaborated with a lot of people, but he's fairly recent. . . so I might feel bad about it.

If you have suggestions for the love list or things you want to see plot/theme-wise, please post here and let me know.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:50:31 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematician Dating Sim >_<
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:48:01 pm »

I have no idea what skills, if any, I'll be able to offer up! Best I could think of would be research but I'm pretty sure Vector here knows a whoooole lot more about mathematicians, famous or otherwise, than I ever will.

As I said to her, I was fully prepared to do it all on my own. But I'm fairly certain the final project would be loads better coming from her than any product I could manage to make. :P
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:49:57 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:49:27 pm »

Would this be a female main character then?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:51 pm »

Posting to watch...again!
Except this time I can't suggest Ren'Py as Vector already has that covered, so I shall contribute even less this time around :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:59:20 pm »

Would this be a female main character then?

I'm not sure.  I need to think about which sorts of key points I'd like to emphasize.  There aren't enough Otome games, but on the other hand there aren't enough BL games either. . . ?

And on the other hand, I'm not even sure if I want to use actual mathematicians, or if it would be better to make up a few characters who are more pastiched, since Liberties Will Be Taken.

EDIT: Does anyone have any impressions or input that they'd like to add?

At the moment I'm thinking we definitely need an analyst, a geometer, and an algebraist, hopefully with someone in applied mathematics as well.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:04:39 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:04:33 am »

You can contribute to me any time, Sirusbaby~

By which I mean money. I'm broke. Srsly. >____>

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 12:10:43 am »

@ Vector: I'm thinking the possible characters should be spread through different math-heavy fields. For example: an engineer, or an astrophysicist, or a statistician. That way the characters can be different enough from each other to be more unique, while at the same time all falling within the common theme of being mathematicians at heart.

@ Descan: 'Fraid I'm a little broke at the moment myself. I don't get paid until Friday :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 12:14:51 am »

@ Vector: I'm thinking the possible characters should be spread through different math-heavy fields. For example: an engineer, or an astrophysicist, or a statistician. That way the characters can be different enough from each other to be more unique, while at the same time all falling within the common theme of being mathematicians at heart.

>_>

They won't be "mathematicians" in the sense that I understand them, in that case, but it could be a good idea!  I also have training in engineering and physics and am about to have training in statistics, so this could just be a numbers/quantitative-science-heavy sim.

Hmm.  We could call it "Love Measure" or something.  I'm not sure that's adequately corny, though.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 12:21:33 am »

I'm trying to think of something suitably math-y for a possible title. This is difficult since I've never advanced beyond Algebra II and that was years ago <_<;

Love Matrices? XLove (pronounced "X to the power of Love")? Algebra Shoujo?
Imma shut up now...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 12:26:40 am »

LOL. . .

"Integration"

"Love x Love -> Love"

"Cardioid Simulator 64"

"Faithful and Forgetful" (obscure category theory joke)

"Dual space"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 12:27:15 am »

Factors of Love?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 12:27:36 am »

Um. Firstly, what the fuck. Secondly, what the hell. Thirdly, holy shit. Finally, post to watch.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 12:30:30 am »

Factors of Love?

"The Fundamental Theorem of Osculation"

"Freshman's Dream" (the name of an actual theorem)

"Romantic Fantasy .5"

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 12:36:26 am »

Significant Figuring

EDIT: Screw that, saving it for a Science-based Dating Sim.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:38:53 am by webadict »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 12:40:09 am »

"The Fundamental Theorem of Osculation"
Looked up what Osculation means. This is the best one so far; Math-y AND romantic at the same time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5