Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virus in the Masterwork .Rar?  (Read 6894 times)

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Virus in the Masterwork .Rar?
« on: September 02, 2013, 05:06:57 am »

EDIT

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Just turns out it was a combination of both me and Norton being jumpy about a file i didn't recognise, as i had been out of the loop and didn't know what each file did.

I havent been playing Dwarf Fortress for a good half year or so, and i thought i would return to the newest version of Masterwork.

So, i download the .Rar from "http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5315" as seen in the download thread.

I begin the extraction only for Norton to fire up claiming its stopping a file called "Infostealer.Gampass" from doing... something.

Heres the info i managed to beat out of Norton:

Sooooo.... Norton seems to either think that this "Nanofortress" Thing is a virus... or "NanoFortress" Is a virus.

What is it, What is it meant to be, and what can i do to resolve the situation?

WAT DO?

EDITED: Edited because im a stupid person sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:59:13 am by JimmyBobJr »
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Virus in the Masterwork .Rar?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 05:17:52 am »

My guess? It's Norton being a prick. It does that sometimes.

firefly68

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 05:22:43 am »

Gamerlord is probably right. Nanofortress is just a utility that lets you have a 1x1 embark, and I've not had any issues with infected files or anything. Unless you actually want to use Nanofortress, just ignore it and play masterwork as normal.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:28:10 am »

Gamerlord is probably right. Nanofortress is just a utility that lets you have a 1x1 embark, and I've not had any issues with infected files or anything. Unless you actually want to use Nanofortress, just ignore it and play masterwork as normal.

Good.
Damnit Norton, why cant you be well made?!
Where is the chemistry
It created soap.

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:25 am »

norton and things that use it's methods of malware detections is infamous for lots of false positive detections for things that are harmless memory hacks (a method used by some genuine malware to infect and alter things) like most of the tools used in masterwork and nowadays Norton shouldn't be used has it generally causes more harm than actual malware by false positive detections and it's actions of dealing with such detections.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:48:10 am »

Norton installed itself a few weeks back without my permission.  Wanted a restart to "finalise the install" told it no and uninstalled it, it then asked why and I was very tempted to send the comment "because I didn't ask it to install in the first place!", second time I've seen it do that...far as I'm concerned the stupid thing is a virus itself and I won't use it.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 07:39:19 am »

Nanofortress hacks into the Dwarf Fortress.exe, just like the old dfhack did before, and how Embark Everywhere does as well. I am surprised that it did not show up on the scan as well, its from the same author if I am not mistaken.

But honestly, Its not a virus. ^^ If I want to add a virus, I would put one into the Settings.exe, which is the file I compile. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

oneuristtwourists

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 10:31:27 am »

incredible, it's truly almost mindboggling to see that there is yet someone using norton.

please, do yourself a favour and check some av comparison to pick a better one. (i personally reccomend http://www.av-comparatives.org/ , they do a good job)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:27:04 pm by oneuristtwourists »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 10:48:24 am »

Have fun getting rid of Norton, because you absolutely should even if that requires reinstalling your OS (it might).

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 01:27:34 pm »

I got the same virus scan result on nano fortress from Symantec (same people as norton).  It however can't be avoid as its a company machine. Atleast I don't use nano fortress. The problem is probably the coder of nanofortress using the phrase "infostealer" to label some component and that set off a red flag. Even if they change that component name, Symantec/Norton will still forever associate that software signature as "bad".
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:26:04 am »

Honestly, Norton is the only Anti-Virus i trust. Ive used several other in my computing life, but none seem to work as good as Norton.

Honestly, id rather Norton find files like this and keep my computer clean, Virus or not. Another, less jumpy Anti-Virus might have missed the Microfortress file... But it might also miss a real virus, wouldnt it?

Where is the chemistry
It created soap.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 01:31:16 am »

in my experience, viruses happen only if you don't know what you're doing.
I personally have the basic Windows anti-virus, and have yet to even see it ping red once.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

oneuristtwourists

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:57 am »

Honestly, Norton is the only Anti-Virus i trust. Ive used several other in my computing life, but none seem to work as good as Norton.

Honestly, id rather Norton find files like this and keep my computer clean, Virus or not. Another, less jumpy Anti-Virus might have missed the Microfortress file... But it might also miss a real virus, wouldnt it?

Well, ok. If you think a very "paranoid" AV is good, good for you.

But if you just bothered to check a few comparatives, like the ones i linked you to, you would see that, as far as file detection goes, symantec does even worse than out-of-box windows 7 protection....

You see, the fact that it jumps at every little thing doesn't mean that it's actually going to recognize malware.

But hey, if you think that more false-positives=safer, good for you. Just don't complain when some update decides that actual system files are malware and deletes-quarantines them for you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:23:03 am by oneuristtwourists »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:18 am »

...Why don't you just add it to Norton's exceptions/trusted files and be done with it? I just typed "norton antivirus exceptions" into google and it seems like that is an option designed for exactly this sort of thing that most sane security software, including this one, has.

Quote from: everyone
THIS STUPID ANTIVIRUS PROGRAM IS NOT LETTING MY UNSIGNED 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE I FOUND ON THE NET AND DIDN'T TELL IT ABOUT INJECT THINGS INTO THE MEMORY OF ANOTHER RUNNING PROCESS, I BETTER UNINSTALL AND LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE CALLED "ANTIVIRUS" THAT DOES.
[preventing] memory hacks [snip] causes more harm than actual malware

Maybe I misunderstand because I don't use Microsoft or Symantec products personally, but if that's really what makes Norton cry, it seems like not allowing this is absolutely the most legitimate and sane thing a program that actually tries to protect you could do. (edit: rest of snarky post removed)

AJC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:28 pm »

the thing is when it detects harmless stuff like this or thinks vital system files are doing it and flags and delete/quarantines them they tend to do worse damage than any malware these days cause.

one AV's software a while back had false positive of harmless stuff that caused like 20 million dollars worth of damage by deleting harmless but key system files and causing loads of businesses to have to reformat and shit to fix the stuff the AV broke from it and created huge doubt over how much such software sould try to look into things before they cause more trouble by way too overzealous detection schemes that are more likely to flag harmless stuff than catch actual legit malware
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:30:16 pm by AJC »
Pages: [1] 2