Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Virus in the Masterwork .Rar?  (Read 6893 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virus in the Masterwork .Rar?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 10:25:36 pm »

the thing is when it detects harmless stuff like this or thinks vital system files are doing it and flags and delete/quarantines them they tend to do worse damage than any malware these days cause.

one AV's software a while back had false positive of harmless stuff that caused like 20 million dollars worth of damage by deleting harmless but key system files and causing loads of businesses to have to reformat and shit to fix the stuff the AV broke from it and created huge doubt over how much such software sould try to look into things before they cause more trouble by way too overzealous detection schemes that are more likely to flag harmless stuff than catch actual legit malware[citation needed]
Hard to believe that is all one sentence. :P
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 03:57:59 am »

Well, ok. If you think a very "paranoid" AV is good, good for you.

I really do. Im quite a paranoid man after a virus snuck into my computer and managed to pinch a bunch of things it shouldnt have. Id rather a jumpy Guard Dog than a sleepy one.

But if you just bothered to check a few comparatives, like the ones i linked you to,

I once used AVG and Avast, years ago. I downloaded AVG when i was back playing my WoW days, and Blizzard refused to help me get my account back until i said i had downloaded AVG.
My father installed Avast once, but i never had to use it.

But hey, if you think that more false-positives=safer, good for you. Just don't complain when some update decides that actual system files are malware and deletes-quarantines them for you.

That has never happened to me, so i cant really complain either way!

in my experience, viruses happen only if you don't know what you're doing.

While this is true, there is known cases of Viruses "Piggybacking" legit files/Legit file hosting sites., as it were. I remember once downloading a virus in a completely Legit Oblivion mod from the Oblivion Nexus. Only happened once, but it did happen. There are also cases of Viruses sneaking in under Advertising and such, without your knowledge. Its happened to me before. Its massively rare, and haant happened in like... 5 years, but its possible.

...Why don't you just add it to Norton's exceptions/trusted files and be done with it?

Already have! i have a folder set up already for this such occasion, as the Skyrim Script Extender sometimes causes Anti-Viruses to freak out, among other things.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

oneuristtwourists

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:22:02 am »

Well, at least your father seemed to know what he was doing, since avast is fairly decent.

Can't say the same about your choice of avg: you aren't saying when that happened, but that's the antivirus AJC was (most likely) talking about. Feel free to do your research about it.
After that massive failure on their part i labeled it as a terrible av. (they improved a bit after that, but still...hard to regain your credibility after that)

So it's like you went from a crappy av to an even worse one...well, at least avg is free for personal use i guess. But since you are paying for your protection, why not actually go for something actually worth the money, like Bitdefender or Kaspersky? (of course, it's your money, and you are free to do what you want with it)

Finally, one little note: please do a comparison between the false positives graph and the real-world or file-detection + heuristics one.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:26:41 am by oneuristtwourists »

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 11:58:51 am »

love how people hate the av that the US army gets for free and uses i mean how many drones have you seen get a virus and shoot a bus full of children?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Virus in the Masterwork .Rar? Nope. Get rid of Norton! :P
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »

love how people hate the av that the US army gets for free and uses i mean how many drones have you seen get a virus and shoot a bus full of children?

Yeah, I'm so happy those drones are hackproof, the control center is well protected, and no terrorist can see what's coming for them.  8)
Pages: 1 [2]