Finally... > Creative Projects

REXPaint, the ASCII art editor

(1/16) > >>

Kyzrati:
Just released a new version of my ASCII art editor, and had the surprising realization yesterday that I never created a thread for this program on Bay 12 :o

Surely the creative types on Bay 12 (everyone? ;p) would enjoy something like this.

REXPaint home

REXPaint was originally created a few months back as a tool to aid work on my roguelike games, and I released it as a free ASCII art editor / roguelike mockup program. Since then it's found use in various corners of the web. Several forum games on Bay 12 have also picked it up as an easy way to draw maps/updates. My favorite is Energy Quest, but you'll find a wider variety of art in DarkDXZ's games like You are a Skeletal Dragon. More recently (Aug 2015) there's Deadly Dungeon Crawl.

Other art:
Spoiler: X-COM ASCII Concepts by me (click to show/hide)Spoiler: Roguelike Zelda mockup by qbicfeet (click to show/hide)Spoiler: Cogmind weapon concepts by me (click to show/hide)Spoiler: Robot by ShroomArts (click to show/hide)Spoiler: Dwarf by DragonDePlatino (click to show/hide)Spoiler: Organic Mainframe by me (click to show/hide)Spoiler: 2D side-view of Dwarf Fortress (click to show/hide)That last one was recently posted anonymously to an image board, and while I can't confirm that it was made with REXPaint, it certainly *could* have been (chances are high, since there are only two programs in the wild that would enable you to make something like this without pulling your hair out, and one is REXPaint--maybe someone on Bay 12 knows who created this? And two years later, Gatleos shows up to claim his work :P).

To anyone who's using REXPaint: Feel free to post about it in this thread. I like to hear/see what people do with it!

Features:
* Edit characters, foreground, and background colors separately
* Draw shapes and text
* Copy/cut/paste areas
* Undo/redo changes (unlimited)
* Preview effects simply by hovering the cursor over the canvas
* Palette manipulation
* Image-wide color tweaking and palette swaps
* True-color RGB/HSV color picker
* Create multi-layered images
* Zooming: Scale an image by changing font size on the fly
* Browse art assets and begin editing at the press of a button
* Images highly compressed
* Export PNGs for use in other programs or on the web
* Export .ANS files for ANSI art
* Other exportable formats: TXT, CSV, XML, XPM, BBCode
* Import .TXT files
* Skinnable interface

Anvilfolk:
Aw man, that's totally awesome :) Kind of wish I was doing ASCII stuff now ;)

acetech09:

--- Quote from: Anvilfolk on September 04, 2013, 03:26:02 am ---Aw man, that's totally awesome :) Kind of wish I was doing ASCII stuff now ;)

--- End quote ---

^

Kyzrati:
It's never too late to start! =p

Heh, that's the way it is, though, always so many interesting things to do and not enough time to do them. I recently read the history of Boatmurdered, and now I so want to spend a lot of time playing Dwarf Fortress, and then even more time building my own simulationist game... Like I have the time for all that :'(

In any case, better to stick with one thing long enough to produce something of value rather than bounce around from project to project and have little to show for it.

Aklyon:
Speaking of Energy Quest, I need to update it >.>
I've been busy doing too many things at once to remember it was there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version