Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: REXPaint, the ASCII art editor  (Read 28788 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: REXPaint, the ASCII art editor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:32 pm »

That's because normal text editors like Notepad don't support extended ASCII characters, so you can really only use it for images composed of normal alphanumeric text if you expect it to look the same, *or* use a text viewer that supports extended ASCII (code page 437, the most common one).
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 08:23:03 pm »

Ah, alright.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 09:54:52 pm »

Among the changes are your draw-from-center behavior for circles, Aqizzar.

Thanks!  Fantastico man, I've been getting a lot of use out of this program lately, those features will come in very handy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 10:09:35 pm »

Good to hear! Sorry it took so long to get around to adding your relatively simple centered circle request. Been pretty busy lately so it's more efficient to wait until I have a long list of things to add and do them all at once for a more substantial release.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 04:50:28 am »

As a side note, the .txt export is a bit odd, to say the least. In rex, this is a 10x10 rectangle of a's surrounding a horizontal line rect, which itself is surrounding the rect of b's. In export it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
AAAAAAAAAA
AÚÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿A
A³BBBBBB³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³BBBBBB³A
AÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÙA
AAAAAAAAAA

The letters are intact, but the horizontal line has warped into some odd alt-key characters.
No promises yet, but I'm looking into solving this issue by using some kind of unicode-encoded .txt file. I've never used unicode before though, so this may not turn out well :/

I started looking into it again after thinking about the possibility of a new output format: BBCode that could be pasted directly into a forum. Is there any interest in this?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:26 am »

I found a partial non-unicode solution to the issue and just uploaded a modified version of REXPaint with the fix. Still need to look into using unicode, but out of curiosity could you download the latest version and try outputting some line glyphs again with txt export? Do they look correct for you? It's not easy for me to test here because my OS doesn't use the U.S. codepage (437).

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 10:44:40 am »

I can test it today, yeah.
As for the bbcode, unless it included color tags(probably in hex, since not all forums use the same color 'words' afaik), I don't think it would be very different from the already existant text export.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2014, 03:55:21 pm »

Thanks. For BBCode, I mean full color support w/hex. It would be very easy to do (REXPaint already does hex color output for csv and xml formats), the only question being how to get non-standard characters to output correctly so they'd still be readable when copied (and improve the current txt output with that feature as well, because imo it's mostly useless right now). That and there would have to be configurable background color support, because not all forums support background color, and those that do have different tags, so you'd have to specify the name of the tag (or no bkg color at all).

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2014, 07:35:20 pm »

Its the top download on the download page, right? I'm still getting the same thing in notepad++
Code: [Select]
AAAAAAAAAA
AÚÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿A
A³BBBBBB³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³B    B³A
A³BBBBBB³A
AÀÄÄÄÄÄÄÙA
AAAAAAAAAA
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2014, 08:34:36 pm »

Yep, it's the top download. Thanks for testing it for me, odd that it still doesn't work, but no matter--I've just successfully converted the txt file output to unicode so it will properly show *all* glyphs in txt, even in Notepad! (Or if you copy them to a forum, etc.) I'll be uploading the new version later today.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2014, 09:30:46 pm »

This is awesome. I was wondering, though, is there any way to convert the .xp files to .png or .jpeg files? Or any way to have it save them as .png or .jpeg as default?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 09:32:10 pm »

This is awesome. I was wondering, though, is there any way to convert the .xp files to .png or .jpeg files? Or any way to have it save them as .png or .jpeg as default?
Hit export, receive png.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2014, 09:56:11 pm »

Hit export, receive png.
Ah. Thanks.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 11:52:04 pm »

Just uploaded a new version, R8, with proper implementation of pure text output (now with unicodeTM). Also BBCode export (with color support!) for pasting into forums.

An old drawing of a heavy plasma gun for X@COM as it appears in 1) REXPaint, 2) a text file (txt), and 3) a forum (BBCode!):

Said BBCode:

√▄▄▄▄╤╤╤┐
\Ö_\▄▄▄┘
 / ╨╨ 

\       
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:08:10 am by Kyzrati »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 05:54:57 pm »

I just noticed a strange glitch. Rexpaint will fail to start if you do not have an audio device enabled. It drove me crazy for like two hours yesterday before I figured out the problem.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6