Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: REXPaint, the ASCII art editor  (Read 28614 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: REXPaint, the ASCII art editor
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:20 am »

I've posted an in-depth guide to how I use REXPaint for roguelike development--mockups, art, prefabs and more--including specific techniques and plenty of reference images. Check it out here.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 05:05:55 am »

PTW!
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »

That thing looks massively useful, especially since I want to give a try at making a roguelike at some point. PTW
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 06:43:53 pm »

Lotta roguelike devs are using it for their games now, and a good number of Bay Watchers use it for forum games :P

I wanted a way to streamline my own development process, so it's become quite useful over the years :D
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:34 pm »

That last one was recently posted anonymously to an image board, and while I can't confirm that it was made with REXPaint, it certainly *could* have been (chances are high, since there are only two programs in the wild that would enable you to make something like this without pulling your hair out, and one is REXPaint--maybe someone on Bay 12 knows who created this?).

I think this guy made it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 07:42:30 am »

Ah there you are :D

It was posted anonymously only a couple years ago on some image board, some time after the first version of REXPaint, and started making the rounds again at that time, but I couldn't search out the original artist for credit. Thanks for stopping by ;). I'll add some credit in a bit.

ascii paint was the one that inspired me to create my own "new and improved" version a couple years later. There are now a few other programs as well, linked in my guide, but I think REXPaint is generally the best unless you want animation or a ton of layers.

I'm always on the lookout for cool new art to show off in the gallery ;)

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 11:57:09 am »

Oh, and also thanks for making this. I was progressing at a snail's pace in my programming tutorial but this made me want to improve faster because I really want to make a roguelike now :))

(and also there may or may not be a bunch of people expecting me to make one at some point, that reminded me of that)
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 11:59:21 am »

You're very welcome--it's always extra motivating to have something you can look at and fiddle with while working on your game :D

And so is telling other people about your plans ;)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 11:12:37 am »

REXPaint is a pretty mature tool now, and a ton of people are using it, so it's about time it got its own home on gridsagegames.com.

I've retired the old blog and REXPaint now officially belongs to the world of Grid Sage Games. Updates will continue when I have the time, and in fact the move to a new website is part of preparation for the symbolic "1.0," to come soon.

The new site's content is similar to the original blog, but prettier, easier to navigate, and comes with some extras.

On the main page you can see a recording I made while mutating my old organic mainframe piece to show off some of REXPaint's features:

KillerHP

• Bay Watcher
  • im french :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 12:31:21 pm »

Can we make gifs with rexpaint?
if then ill switch to it.
A random person which does stuff and likes roguelikes and SS13...

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 03:31:00 pm »

You can work with separate layers in REXPaint. Create a layer for each frame of animation, then export each layer one-by-one. There are lots of online programs that can compile a series of .PNG images into .GIFs.

It's nice seeing this tool is still being developed! Recently, I've been using REXPaint to do some level design for a side-scrolling game. I can use Tiled or an art program for that, but REXPaint lets me remove the distraction of graphics to focus on the actual layout:

It's also handy as a planning tool because you can make nice ASCII diagrams without images or spreadsheets:

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 03:34:22 pm »

You can work with separate layers in REXPaint. Create a layer for each frame of animation, then export each layer one-by-one. There are lots of online programs that can compile a series of .PNG images into .GIFs.
...but wouldn't it make more sense to compile them into APNGs instead of losing quality to gif?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:48 pm »

Can we make gifs with rexpaint?
if then ill switch to it.
I prefer to leave the gif work to other programs, one big reason being possible loss of color/quality. Maybe one day I'll add built-in animation support, but that would be a fairly large project to do correctly. As DragonDePlatino says, you can use multiple layers (or perhaps even better: use separate images and scroll through them in the built-in browser, which will essentially look like an animation preview--still, not ideal, I know). I make gifs using REXPaint as well, just not without additional software.

It's nice seeing this tool is still being developed! Recently, I've been using REXPaint to do some level design for a side-scrolling game. I can use Tiled or an art program for that, but REXPaint lets me remove the distraction of graphics to focus on the actual layout:
Nice work! Thanks for sharing. I should put some of this stuff in the gallery. Anything else interesting you'd like to share? Lots of people use REXPaint, but I often have to go out actively searching for gallery content because rarely does anyone come show it to me :P

Development is not exactly "active," but yeah I definitely maintain a TODO list and will continue updating. A few days ago I thought up a new feature that will allow you to easily tweak the HSV of individual colors directly in the image, which should be pretty useful. That's definitely going into 1.0.

While you're here, DragonDePlatino, just recently a website did a little article on REXPaint, and used your art to demonstrate :). They didn't contact me for the article so I had no idea they were going to do that. (I of course credit you wherever I use it, thanks for making such a cool dwarf!)

...but wouldn't it make more sense to compile them into APNGs instead of losing quality to gif?
Hm, never heard of those before. Would be nice if that were a standard, though adoption is unlikely to happen quickly, if ever... Some browsers don't even properly support animated gifs!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2015, 08:33:58 pm »

Hm, never heard of those before. Would be nice if that were a standard, though adoption is unlikely to happen quickly, if ever... Some browsers don't even properly support animated gifs!
There was a successful kickstarter for it awhile ago. Even has a gif/apng converter here. And I can see them just fine in Pale Moon, which means its probable that they work in firefox in general.

But browsers that can't even into gif, at this point...are they even trying to keep up with things? That would almost be as bad as not working with jpgs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2015, 08:52:14 pm »

Unlike FF and Chrome, IE cannot properly animate gifs with certain delays and will just drop tons of frames (I don't know about the latest versions, but this was true as recently as a couple years ago when I last checked--I honestly don't really care what my stuff looks like for IE users).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5