Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Town" neighbour  (Read 8284 times)

G.smok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Town" neighbour
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:54:53 am »

It's the first time I've seen something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have not found anything about it in forum nor dwarfwiki. Can someone tell me what's that? O.o

Sorry about my poor english. It's the first time when i do use english forum, so i do not speak very well. But i do believe that soon I'll learn to write as well as read!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Town" neighbour
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:03 am »

What are you pointing out? There's a lot in that picture.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:29 am »

So, you've got a town as a neighbor?
Never seen that before. Messed up raws? I'd guess you have a mod where someone learns a secret like a necromancer, but instead of building a tower they build a town?
Never heard of any such thing in vanilla.

Photas

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature, fond of !!fun!! and Magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:47 am »

Never seen town as a neighbour, i'm interested to see what it means
Photas cancels work. Distracted by Dwarf Fortress.

G.smok

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:15 am »

I am playing on "clear" DF, downloaded exactly from bay12 main site. I do not use  even titleset!

It's strange for me that nobody seen that already. I can copy world gen if you wish.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:30:06 am by G.smok »

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:51 am »

edit : nevermind
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:52:08 am »

Maybe it means your embark square is near a major town/city? Haven't seen that before myself either. No idea what it would mean either.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 10:21:10 am »

It's a town controlled by a necromancer, similar to a tower. Expect ambushing necromancers, zombie sieges or both combined.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

If you're referring to the 3x3 "house" icons within your embark: that's not a town, it's part of the evil mountain range.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:40:54 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:57:20 am »

If you're referring to the 3x3 "house" icons within your embark: that's not a town, it's part of the evil mountain range.

He means the neighbor list having:
Dwarves
Elves
Humans
Goblins
Tower
Town

I had to scroll along the picture to see it, so I thought I'd just post this for anyone else to save them asking.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:06 am »

I think I remember coming across that bug right after the last release. Something in the code about how town mechanics have their own pseudo-civs or something like that.

*snip*

But don't worry. You won't be getting invaded by axe-wielding Town footmen any time soon.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:34:25 am by acetech09 »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 11:25:55 am »

It's a town controlled by a necromancer, similar to a tower. Expect ambushing necromancers, zombie sieges or both combined.
This is the correct answer.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:34:06 am »

This is the correct answer.

+1.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 01:11:29 pm »

It's a future 'Tower'. Necromancers have to have a large enough horde to begin construction on a tower, but in the meantime their base is whatever they've taken over.

I believe it's possible for them to take over things other than towns, but it's very rarely seen.

You may not have that tough a time of it. I embarked next to some necromancers and got only one siege before capturing two of them. Haven't seen any undead since, am considering releasing one to see if I start getting undead sieges again.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:08 pm »

It's a future 'Tower'. Necromancers have to have a large enough horde to begin construction on a tower, but in the meantime their base is whatever they've taken over.

I believe it's possible for them to take over things other than towns, but it's very rarely seen.

You may not have that tough a time of it. I embarked next to some necromancers and got only one siege before capturing two of them. Haven't seen any undead since, am considering releasing one to see if I start getting undead sieges again.
Yes, sometimes they take over whatever is called "Mountain Halls" and then that's what you get in the neighbour list. In this particular case, though, having a necro town neighbour barely matters, because he's got a real Tower there as well. Besides, it would be interesting to see if necromancers from two different towers would fight each other.
Pages: [1] 2