Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: 7 Days to Die  (Read 24803 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
7 Days to Die
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:37:31 am »

http://7daystodie.com/
New game, fresh off of a successful Kickstart. It's in Alpha right now, but has a playable client already for purchasers and backers that shows off some pretty great promise. World generation isn't in yet, so you can only use the premade.
Story & Premise
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Core Features

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not very pretty but it's already a lot of fun. The Alpha is expensive at $35 so some of you will want to wait. However, the team has a lot of talent and experience working on major games. I have no doubt that this game will have a rapid development and be even more fun soon.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Days to Die
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:49:14 pm »

Looks very interesting, but 35$ for an alpha? Pfft.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:20:22 am »

If it can deliver, the combination of Minecraft, DayZ and Fallout could be the kinda game I'm looking for.

More building, and actually based in an engine that can support it, than DayZ, mining and crafting a la Minecraft, and the rusty, gritty RPG feel of Fallout... I'm surprised nobody's attempted this before, at least on this scope.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:32:50 am »

35$ for an alpha

Yeah... sounds good but... that's way out there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:24:43 am »

Play solo, coop or multiplayer in our unique Zombie Nomad Mode be a human, a bandit or a zombie for a no rules experience.

Hohboy. Postapoc game, multiplayer, no rules? This sounds like a job for:

INTERNET DICKBAG!
Preying on the unwary and trustful, INTERNET DICKBAG is there to harass all who wish to have a nice time!

On a serious note, this seems like something to watch.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »

So far the game is a lot of fun... I spent the first few nights hanging out on top of a smokestack courtesy of a nearby industrial complex. The alpha currently has nighttime be the tower defense testing portion, meaning infinite numbers of zombies until around 6:30 or 7:30 am. It's more a matter of cheesing the AI at this point than anything else.

Other than that,  it's very polished for an alpha; certainly more polished than many AAA releases. I've only seen a few minor glitches so far,  such as the occasional floating purse, and some issues with structures. The smokestack mentioned earlier was scrapped for salvage (and science! ) but after cutting all the way around only one section fell, while three remain floating with no support.  Also died a few times due to the correctly supported interior suddenly giving way for no apparent reason. 

Definitely worth keeping an eye on.  Next patch will add a mutant version of giant Japanese hornets and ranged acid puking zombies that are said to be rare. Can't wait!
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 06:30:55 pm »

any updates on this? I have read mixed review on the latest beta, but I find the concept compelling.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »

Personal reveiw, I found it boring after a couple of hours.
Build base. Watch Zombies head-butt base made of steel reinforced and sided concrete into dust until morning. Repeat.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:12:11 pm »

There's a game breaking bug that I don't think has been fixed for several versions now.  When too many items are spawned in the world, the zombies become invincible.  The only "fix" is to roll back save games in single player.  In multiplayer worlds, it is unfixable if it happens to your save.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:00 am »

thanks guys

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 08:49:26 am »

I've been playing this for several days now, it's still alpha but quite playable. It has a slight "Cataclysm : dark days ahead"  feel to it. Makes me wonder how good the game would be if you threw in all the Cataclysm stuff. There definitely is a learning curve, but once you understand the mechanics you'll be safe 99% of the time.

Right now, my new game routine is :
Collect stones, sticks, some grass, make a stone axe, get some wood (if near a forest), scavenge some iron and a pipe, find a quiet hill in the desert, make a forge and a chest, lay low during the night while crafting, turn scavenged iron into ingots (need to get clay first but you can dig with the stone axe).

Then make a pickaxe, go to the wasteland, mine the iron laying around, go back to base, make ton of ingots, make all the tools and a sledgehammer to fight with.

Then explore places to get guns/food/loot, kills zombies for their loot, get a water source with a bucket, make jars with desert sand, get wood for fuel. At this point you probably have a pistol, use it to hunt rabbits, make leather from the hides, make iron armor... It's pretty easy.

Once you have gathered enough guns you make molds of the parts and now you can make new ones as long as you have iron. Iron itself is pretty abundant once you find a vein, if you don't you can always melt the random crap you find and/or get some in the wasteland. Finding an iron vein will also randomly provide materials for gunpowder. With a shotgun, hunting stags is easy, and until then you can always get some food from zombie drops and exploring houses.

For now the endgame seems to revolve around getting all the gun parts, since you only get 1 part per gun, and exploring the whole map (which goes hand in hand). After that it's just building and defending your base.

In solo play I have often encountered hordes but not yet in multiplayer - maybe because of server settings. I'm having fun for now, but I can imagine it getting dull quickly once I have accomplished all my goals. Well they seem to release updates once a week so at least things are moving forward. And honestly ? If there ever is a mod with C:DDA content it will be the best thing ever.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 04:58:50 am »

alpha 9 is out with random terrain now, and I am having lot of fun

I spawned in a city and I am now both very rich and very dead. damn hornet wasps!

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:35:09 am »

Have been playing with my crafting friend for a few days. We're on day 11 now and have a little wooden long house with a pit. Nothing super fancy. We also got off to a slow start so we had to fend off a few massive hordes recently and almost lost the house completely.

For an early alpha, there is a lot of content and challenge. Lots of craftable items. As of the last patch, good tool finds in vehicles are more common, so that makes things a bit easier. 

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 09:11:08 am »

The randomly generated worlds really change the whole dynamic of the game.  It seemed like most times I started a new game I'd run to my favorite spot on the map and set up shop.  Definitely can't do that anymore... you might not even find a suitable spot to make a home base for a few days.

At this point it already feels like a complete game.  I think I played 20 hours this weekend, or pretty damn close.  The part that's crazy is they've got a ton of features they still want to add.  Human NPC's, vehicles, etc.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 11:07:56 am »

The randomly generated worlds really change the whole dynamic of the game.  It seemed like most times I started a new game I'd run to my favorite spot on the map and set up shop.  Definitely can't do that anymore... you might not even find a suitable spot to make a home base for a few days.

At this point it already feels like a complete game.  I think I played 20 hours this weekend, or pretty damn close.  The part that's crazy is they've got a ton of features they still want to add.  Human NPC's, vehicles, etc.
[/quoteWell thats basicly what i was thinking. I know 35$ seem quite a step, but to support the devlopers and their idea? go for it, it is worth your time. Even i when my friend introduced me to the game ( god damn pirate eh? ), i wasnt sure if i were to buy it untill i played... sank a few hour in and i had to buy it. Lots of interesting takes on a few tropes and game mecanics. Slow zombie the days and crazy zombie the night? Love it. I am scared as shit each time sun goes down. Lots of parameter you can set to your likings, longer ays, more spawns, longuer night, hell even airdrop frequencies. Devlopment is active and well too!.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9