Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: 7 Days to Die  (Read 24970 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Days to Die
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2016, 02:06:46 pm »

I own this game but never played it much, maybe I will in the future, so posting to watch this thread.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2016, 06:09:26 pm »

No updates to the mob spawn system? I.e. you kill some zombies with a gun (you fool) and littarly will have more zombies spawn then you kill from the sound. We had a big clan/party base with plenty of players and if we used any weapons besides the crossbows - the assault would simply not end for several ingame days and usually we had to just walk away for it to move on or despawn - which seems silly, punishing the player for "fighting" - and sadly the corpses/loot would despawn quite fast, so there was mostly a feeling punished feeling for actually fighting. Sure, enhanced hardcore gameplay, but ehhh

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »

Yeah, the spawning mechanics in this game are awful.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 01:44:23 pm »

My buddies and I spent a few nights playing and here's my overall impression.  The graphics and animation are poor, but adequate - if you come from Minecraft they are a step up and if you come from L4D they are quite a step down.  For instance, if something kills you there is no dying animation, it shows you just standing there as the camera pulls away in 3rd person.  You'll frequently take damage from a variety of things, and it all shows as blood splatter on your HUD, even if its just periodic health damage from frostbite.  Sometimes it can be hard to figure out what damaged you until you can decipher the status icons in the HUD.  Playing single player is very challenging and quite random, at least under default settings.  My first spawn was in some Arctic area where I proceeded to freeze to death; my last SP play, I spawned in a perfect area and went almost 18 hours (in-game) without a single hostile crossing my path.  You have to play quite cautious and juggle a lot of survival issues - core temperature, hydration, food, health, stamina, tool quality.  Running all over the place like a typical video game character got me a sprained ankle quite quickly, when I stumbled over the edge of a small embankment.  At first I rolled my eyes at what seemed like a trivial fall, but I had to acknowledge that it is probably what would've happened in real life.  Oh, and I died from dysentery, and had a laugh remembering the last time I died from dysentery in a video game: 30+ years ago playing the original 'Oregon Trail'.

Rough edges aside, it is addicting once you get the hang of it, and it got really fun when my buddies got together and we MP'd it.  The first day was spent trekking across the map to find each other, and in the process two guys found a very defensible house which we made both our meet-up spot and fort.  One guy spawned miles away, so I spent most of my time gathering clothes and weapons for him while he ran and sneaked across the countryside, defenseless, to come join us.  Once he found me in late afternoon, I equipped him and he continued on to the fort - but we realized we had no food whatsoever.  So while they fixed up the house, I spent the remaining daylight hunting - and got caught out after dark.  I spent a harrowing time running back to the house with zombies following, at full speed, in my wake, tracking me by the scent of all the fresh meat I was carrying.  The game does a good job of making nighttime something to fear - shambling zombies become full-speed, and untiring, and it is truly dark.  They can be tricky to kill in daytime, but at night in darkness and running at full speed they are very tough.  I arrived at the house with only moments to spare, and my buddies helped put my hunters down.  From there we had a blast more or less nest-building our fort.  Survival chores can be split up, I spent my daytime hunting for more food, two of the guys went to explore the nearby town, and the last guy worked on the house.  After three hours of play, we made it to the 2nd arrival of night, with five deaths among us (mostly from the one guy that kept spawning miles away from us, in terrible biomes).  The MP game could be laggy at times and sometimes had glitches where objects became invisible (particularly annoying running into invisible saguaros), but was overall fine for four people and was quite easy to set up within Steam.

We paid half-price for it ($10 I think).  The game is not polished, and doesn't feel terribly deep for a sandbox, but I think there is enough gameplay left in it that I am happy with the purchase even from a SP standpoint.  From a MP standpoint, a 4 player co-op that we can happily sink many hours into is pretty much priceless, so more than happy there.  I have my doubts how long the game will last before we get bored; but the random world design ensures it is a game we can likely return to periodically when we get the itch.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 05:22:25 pm »

That is a good write up for the state of the game. I generally play with one buddy and we do similar task break out stuff. We started over yesterday and I ran around collecting wood while he built our base.

We always turn off zombies run at night. Hordes are dangerous enough without also having to deal with them out running you. When we leave it on we find that defending the base is more or less impossible. It does take away some "the night is dark and full of terrors" but makes the game more fun.

We also specialize which is a nice feature. Basically as you build tools you get better at building tools. Same with weapons and many other categories. I spam stone axes while he spams bows. Then we trade. Goes a long way to making you feel important.

The game is fun but farm from polished. I feel like it is feature compl ed tell so hopefully they start refining it more.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »

So lately I've started playing this game again, after last trying it back in May 2015. It's still fun! Even more so, even, with all the temperature management it feels even better when it comes to "survival simulator". And the 7 day hordes spawn properly now, it seems, I had quite some troubles with them back in 12-something version.

Anyways, me and Ygdrad have been playing this and while 2 people is always better then 1 in this kind of games, more people is even better! So, is anyone interested in joining us? We play on a private, non-PVP server with pretty much standard rules (day is a bit longer than default, but that's about it).
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2016, 03:30:08 pm »

Does anybody have any fun games to play when you're stuck in a hole, it's dark outside, it's freezing cold and wet, and there's a horde of frozen zombies Friendly Lumberjacks running around on top of your snow hole smacking each other in the face and generally trying their best to get to you and devour your flesh Spread the light of Mormonism to you?

Because I may or may not be in that situation right now.

I wish I had stolen Traitor Joes candle before he kicked me out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2017, 01:33:51 pm »

Anyone playing? I know Alpha 16 is coming up, but I've been having a blast so far. I've found random servers to be kinda ugly, full of half-demolished structures and not much loot. Would be nice to play multiplayer with some fellow dorfs. :D

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2017, 01:01:52 am »

Anyone playing? I know Alpha 16 is coming up, but I've been having a blast so far. I've found random servers to be kinda ugly, full of half-demolished structures and not much loot. Would be nice to play multiplayer with some fellow dorfs. :D

*shrug* why not. Just add me on steam, same name.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:55 am »

Huh, I didn't realize this had a thread here. I've had fun with a friend in this, it's pretty damn addicting if you have someone to bounce off of and talk with while playing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »

I found a server that I've settled down on. It's not too old, about 270 days so far so the landscape isn't littered with player objects and there's still stuff to loot in the cities.

IP is: 64.92.125.29 Port:26900
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:59:25 pm by Baijiu »

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2017, 10:05:40 pm »

Actually started playing this a couple of days ago. I had tried before in the past, but something about the style plus the learning curve didn't quite click for me. Now I get it. Loving the challenge of single player. Good way to pass the time waiting for that damn Long Dark update....... oh man...
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2017, 02:36:11 pm »

Yeah I played a couple alphas ago, and I was surprised at how much the game has improved. I'm really into the combo of survival/minecraft/zombies that the game has, and I spend waaay too much time building bases and not enough time killing zombies.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:21 am »

I'm really looking forward to playing yet another game. I'm holding out for the new update with electricity and stuff before I touch it again though, should be really interesting to try that stuff out.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2017, 03:44:06 am »

That is going to take ages, if you have more than 8GB RAM, preferably 16GB and you dont live in rural asia or something you can join up with me(I am in Denmark) with Starvation mod.

Its like the game update for this game that will never happen, adds more than what I can list in a single thread. It comes with a nifty launcher too that downloads and syncs the game for you all you need. Sadly Steam Overlay UI breaks so you have to alt tab for chatting.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9