Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: 7 Days to Die  (Read 24926 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Days to Die
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2020, 09:04:35 pm »

Providing one hell of a bump. Development's still ongoing, and it's presently on sale for £6.45

Got it myself yesterday and I'm having a great time with it.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:31 am »

Been playing this for about a year or so. Minecraft really isn't my bag, but this game does voxels realistically enough I've been able to get over it. (I call it "Adult Minecraft" to my friends :P)

The game has come a long way over successive updates. Performance is still a little shaky on horde night especially as the #'s get up there, but in general it handles pretty well now. I really enjoy the scavenging and survival, and the game can get downright cruel sometimes with what it does.

Currently waiting on Alpha 19 to drop so my friends and I can delve back in to it. I think, in terms of first person zombie / survival games 7 Days is one of the better ones. It doesn't look the best as many others, but it's pretty fleshed out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2020, 10:24:37 am »

A19's going to be a while I think. Pretty sure the latest update only dropped a week or so ago.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2020, 10:37:46 am »

A19 experimental is out so you can play with it now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2020, 11:23:27 am »

Yeah we want to get on the full release of A19. We tend to go hard for a few weeks once a new update comes out, so I'd rather play the polished version than jump in to the experimental.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2020, 08:46:01 pm »

Posting to keep an eye out for a new multiplayer server. Bought this recently and realized that it's full potential is in getting several people specializing in different skills so you can have the best turrets, loot, base, most resources, etc.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2020, 03:41:02 am »

Aye, I'd be up for some multiplayer. Maybe once A19 properly drops.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2020, 03:48:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:08:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 04:01:21 pm »

Been trying to get my sysadmin to host a 7D2D server on our work servers. Gave him the documentation a few months ago but I don't think he's gotten around to launching it yet.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2020, 12:39:45 pm »

A19 is out if anyone's still up for trying some multiplayer.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2020, 01:11:24 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:08:54 pm by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2020, 01:57:56 pm »

We had about 20 hours into a new server on A19, then someone ran into a bug where their character data got all fucked up and they couldn't log back in to the server. Then other stuff in that save started appearing fucky, like no zombies showing up after the 7 Day horde.

So we're now on like Day 26 of a new server, things are going pretty well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2020, 10:14:48 am »

Awful in so many ways but somehow irresistible to play accurately describes this game. For all its inherent shittiness, there's something it manages to do right when you're out looting and trying not to get chomped on. It really does emulate that "Walking Dead" feel. (I barely watched the show but I know enough about zombies to know this does a good job of it.) If it looked somewhat less shitty, and the overall design felt more realistic and less like the voxel game it ultimately is, I'd recommend it to a hell of a lot more people. There's something about the amount of open space in the game, especially in cities, that never fails to remind me its a voxel-based game, and a rough one at that.

I was also describing to someone last night while playing how the game just DEVOURS your time. It's really a game about time management. Maybe less so with 7 Day hordes disabled, but even then, keeping your forges running, scavenging food, looting, crafting, upgrading, base building.....there is almost no second of time in game that "should" be wasted, there's always something you could or should be doing. I'll be like "I'm going to get up and go smoke" or "I'm going to go change my laundry" or "I'm going to eat...." and then an hour later realize I haven't gone anywhere or done anything because 14 little things came up. It's almost like having a second job.

Generally the sign of a good (if deeply flawed) game when it sucks you in like that time after time. I sorta remember Terraria having the same effect in my first 40 or so hours.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:59:22 am by nenjin »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2020, 12:10:10 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:08:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2020, 04:27:32 pm »

I think the answer there is to just make it harder. Within two weeks in game, our group usually reaches a point of stability at Nomad difficulty. The game is crazy frustrating at the start when you have no medical supplies, no clothes, you're in a hot or cold biome and you're doing trash damage with trash weapons against shit like Mountain Lions and Bears and Tier 3 zombies.

Around Quality Level 2 or 3, things change dramatically. Headshots start solving all your problems once you've bought a couple levels in a core stat, and only the randomly spawned hordes are any real cause for concern, and only then if they catch you with your pants down, otherwise at walking speed you can basically just back up until they're dead.

I kinda wish there was a happy medium between the early game and the mid game. It's the sweet spot of difficulty IMO. The latter 60% of the game is really just straight crafting progression, the actual challenge isn't really there.

I think the game might also benefit from way, way smaller maps. Like an actual city map that is dense rather than a gigantic open world map with 6 to 7 sparsely populated cities with like two blocks in between each building. But the game would probably choke and die with that much crap so close together. Deshaun Towers is still kinda laggy because it's basically 3+ full apartment builds stacked on top of each other.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 04:29:26 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9