Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack Installer for Linux  (Read 165362 times)

andrewd18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack Installer for Linux
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:20 am »

Andrew, what would you say to a refactoring of the codebase to be more modular, so that a GUI wizard/installer could be created that shows progress bars, etc. It would be a step forward for usability for those Linux users without console experience.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting you do this, rather if you would be amenable to the idea. I'd be happy to work on it. I'm asking because it would be a rather invasive change.
The source is open for a reason. If you'd like to reuse or rebuild any of it, go right ahead. I don't have an explicit license on my code, so if you reuse my code you can do what you like (close its source, charge fees, etc.) However, for the good of the DF community I would encourage you to open source your project as well.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2014, 12:19:14 pm »

The source is open for a reason. If you'd like to reuse or rebuild any of it, go right ahead. I don't have an explicit license on my code, so if you reuse my code you can do what you like (close its source, charge fees, etc.) However, for the good of the DF community I would encourage you to open source your project as well.

To be a bit pedantic, it appears that according to github your code is currently published under GPL v3, which is a "sticky" / copyleft open license.  If you want people to be able to do what you describe above, you should probably put it out under a dual license, GPL plus something like either the MIT or FreeBSD licenses.  Or just place it fully into CC0 if you're up for it.  But please remember that "I don't have an explicit license on my code..." means that *no one* can use it; in the US and many other places, code is copyrighted "from birth", and only explicitly setting a license can free it for others.  (If you or anyone else publishing DF add-ons need more help with license selection or implications, the forums have several people with experience.)

andrewd18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2014, 05:54:16 pm »

To be a bit pedantic, it appears that according to github your code is currently published under GPL v3, which is a "sticky" / copyleft open license.  If you want people to be able to do what you describe above, you should probably put it out under a dual license, GPL plus something like either the MIT or FreeBSD licenses.  Or just place it fully into CC0 if you're up for it.  But please remember that "I don't have an explicit license on my code..." means that *no one* can use it; in the US and many other places, code is copyrighted "from birth", and only explicitly setting a license can free it for others.  (If you or anyone else publishing DF add-ons need more help with license selection or implications, the forums have several people with experience.)
You are correct. I forgot I added the LICENSE file and was replying from memory.

In that case, rmblr, you are free to reuse my code so long as you also publish your code under GPL v3.

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 06:27:56 am »

Problem installing on Debian Jessie checksum error :

downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip: FAILED

I then tried to skip checksums and it fails with :

Archive:  ./downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of ./downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip or
        ./downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip.zip, and cannot find ./downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip.ZIP, period.

df-lnp-installer.sh: Unzipping Falconne UI plugins failed. Exiting.

Please advise.

Mimaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 09:02:09 pm »

Hello there,
i can confirm this...

downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip: FAILED

I tried to install it on Ubuntu 14.04 64Bit, so it does seem that there's a problem with the source, rather then with the OS...

I must say, that i like the comfort of getting all utilities to work and setup within the Lazy Newb Pack...i really appreciate it. So is there possibly an easy way to go around this error...?

Mimaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2014, 09:48:56 pm »

ok, so i "digged" further into this and found a solution... :-)

it looks like already stated, that this particular file Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip is the source of evil.

taking a look at the DFFD shows that this file has been altered to Version 0.44 the 12th of May... http://dffd.wimbli.com/file_version.php?id=7248

what worked for me, was to change the two occurances of  Utility_Plugins_v0.43-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip in the df-lnp-installer.sh file to Utility_Plugins_v0.44-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip
and to update the checksum and filename of it in the sha1sums into
302b6b9d372120876c15efccba0e024a     downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.44-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip

(i generated the checksum via
Code: [Select]
md5sum -filename- in terminal... i don't know if theres a difference between sha1 and md5, but for now i don't care as long as it works...i will "dig" into this too ;-) )

after that you can install the LNP via terminal as usual

andrewd18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »

I finally managed to sneak some free time past my responsibilities. Build 0.5.5 of the LNP installer contains fixes for the 0.44 utility plugins.

andrewd18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »

Latest master also contains code to download and install the newest Splintermind DF Therapist, which requires Qt5, if Qt5 libs are installed on your system.

Mimaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:52 am »

Wow,

that was quick  :)

Thanks a lot for this immidiate update and that you spend your free time for this...you do a great job!

I think i will give the new version a try this evening...

cu, mimaku

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2014, 09:10:57 am »

On Ubuntu 14.04, qt5 is not detecting properly. I have all the latest qt5 packages installed and have built Dwarf Therapist separately from its source, but the lnp installer script (latest master) gives me this message:
Checking for dependencies...

Your computer is missing the following Qt5 development programs and libraries required for the latest version of Dwarf Therapist:
   qmake_qt5

If you want to use the latest version of Dwarf Therapist, please install these missing libraries.
Continuing with older, Qt4 version of Dwarf Therapist.,,
The build does work if I run with --skip-deps
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:36:19 am by TV4Fun »

Deadh34d

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2014, 01:25:17 pm »

I'm getting a failed checksum during the installation.

downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.44-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip: FAILED
(and further down the list, at the end)
sha1sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Edit: Deleted the file from the ./downloads folder as the installer recommended, and the problem persists. It seems to fail the checksum every time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:33:36 pm by Deadh34d »

Mimaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2014, 04:56:00 am »

So i was on vacation for a while...without normal access to the internet...  ::)

@Deadh34d

I can confirm this...i dont know what the issue is...but you can use the checksum i stated before. This workes for me again...

open the  sha1sums file in gedit (or similar) and change the bad checksum into this one

Code: [Select]
302b6b9d372120876c15efccba0e024a     downloads/Utility_Plugins_v0.44-Windows-0.34.11.r3.zip.zip
after that you should be able to install it...

andrewd18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2014, 07:12:52 pm »

As I'm sure some of you have noticed, there have been an increasing number of issues posted on the install script github. Pull requests have been left languishing, awaiting approval for weeks. Here's some of the challenges the script is facing:

• It takes a significant amount of time to debug and test compatibility for each and every utility on each of the major Linux distributions (Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, and Red Hat). Libgraphics and DF Therapist 20.6 (see also: qt5) are the primary offenders.
  • Reviewing other people's code is extremely time consuming, as not only do I need to understand their code, I need to check it across multiple distributions and verify it doesn't eat anyone's filesystem, like this issue (link).
  • It takes a significant amount of time to stay informed about utility development for the utilities I already have... not only do I need to monitor them all, but I need to know exactly what changed and what the new dependencies are. In some cases, it's easy, just change the checksum and download link, problem solved. Other cases, like graphics packs, require unique install steps for each file.
  • If I can't even keep up with the pace of current utility upgrades, there's no way I'm going to have the time to add new utilities, like that fancy new stonesense viewer... or any of the other things people expect when comparing the LNP for Linux and the LNP for Windows.
  • $DEITY help me when DF2014 lands.

I'm also facing my own challenges:
  • Lack of free time. When I started this, I was unemployed. Now I'm working two jobs. What time I do have when I get home, I want to spend relaxing, not troubleshooting.
  • Lack of motivation. I'm hopelessly behind on features with no time to catch up... meanwhile my inbox is full of angry users demanding tech support.

As such, I'm marking the Linux LNP installer as unmaintained. You are more than welcome to fork it, per the terms of the GPLv3 (link), or study the code to build your own with a different license.

Mimaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 03:37:06 pm »

Hello andrewd18!

Thanks for sharing that information and thank you even more for the time and efford you spent to make the linux-LNP. I can fully understand your decision, and i would'nt have made another choice than yours if i were you. Such a task is time-consuming, can be somehow a burden and is much too often not aknowledged as what it is ... a hobby project for the better good.

It's a shame that i am far from being good at programming...even more if it comes to shell-scripting. But i am hopeful that there will be someone, who is able to continue your work! :-)

So thank you again for your what you have built so far!.

As said before: I really appreciate it ;-)

Xioms

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:58 pm »

Help, I'm trying to install on lubuntu 12.04 and I get this error: (I've done "--skip-deps and --skip-sha")

Full terminal readout: http://pastebin.com/tTQDEYJH

Project MESSAGE: Warning: unknown QT: widgets
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_WEBKIT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_SCRIPT_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_NETWORK_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtNetwork -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtScript -I/usr/include/qt4 -Iinc -Iinc/models -Iinc/grid_view -Iinc/docks -Iui -Ithirdparty/qtcolorpicker-2.6 -Ibin/release -Ibin/release -o bin/release/dfinstancelinux.o src/dfinstancelinux.cpp
src/dfinstancelinux.cpp:23:21: fatal error: QtWidgets: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [bin/release/dfinstancelinux.o] Error 1

df-lnp-installer.sh: Compiling Dwarf Therapist failed. See Make output above for details. Exiting
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5