Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Game programmers and designers enroll here.  (Read 6377 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game programmers and designers enroll here.
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:53:30 pm »

I'm looking for talented, team oriented programmers and designers. The emphasis is more on programmers and I am only looking for those who have a portfolio of work showing their improvement and ability to finish projects. I am looking to assemble a grassroots team to develop a game or two. My connections in the industry as well as finance are currently going to waste or at least not being fully leveraged. We won't get rich, but we will develop.

I'm mostly interested in using this to sift through the piles of "wanna-be" game makers and the up and coming professionals. This will be good for your resume as well as possibly making some money if everything goes right.

You may or may not know me from the boards but I have been in and out of the business for the last 4 years as well as working as a marketing executive. I have experience with finance, project management, PR, community management, marketing and business development. I am not looking to be some group leader who sits back and takes a lion's share of the money. First, there probably won't be much money for a while and second, the majority of money goes to the financial backer(s).

If you are interested in programming, send me your portfolio. If you are interested in designing, send me your design documents plus a one page summary. Everything will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and all rights belong to you unless we agree otherwise. I will be looking for artists and sound engineers as the projects evolve. Until then, cheers.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:00:47 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Game programmers and designers enroll here.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:05:04 pm »

Posting just to see what's up. XD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:24 pm »

This is super ultra interesting :)

In order to let people judge their own interest, it might be worthwhile to say whether you are expecting full-time, part-time or free-time investment in this endeavour; whether you expect weekly/regular meetings, sessions or any other types of activities; if there's already people, ideas, technologies or other stuff on the table; and any other details?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:44:08 pm by Anvilfolk »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:53 pm »

This is super ultra interesting :)

In order to let people judge their own interest, it might be worthwhile to say whether you are expecting full-time, part-time or free-time investment in this endeavour; whether you expect weekly/regular meetings, sessions or any other types of activities; if there's already people, ideas, technologies or other stuff on the table; and any other details?

Right now I am just hunting for talent. I have a knack for coaching talented producers and developers to further heights and I want to try from the ground up with programmers and artists. I have been promised some substantial financial backing when I think I have a special group and I really wanted that to come from here, but at this time I don't know that we have anyone who fits that bill. I am sure we have some strong up and comers looming on the horizon, I just haven't found the one who is ready yet. I have seen some artists I want to work with, but they each have a style and I won't know what style I need until I have my programmer and designer. I'm just looking to make a couple of small test games initially, to see how everyone works together and to improve all of our skills before taking on a big project.

I have money and connections, I just need talent. So if you know someone who is in school for programming or design and looks like they might be special, let them or me know.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 12:52:08 am »

You know, I like you hemmingjay, but I guess I have to be the one to say it.

Let's suppose for a second that I'm an up-and-coming game content developer, no connections or professional accomplishments, but a lot of moxie and some demonstrable ability.  I have tons of game ideas that I'd love to make, because as many people as there are who have no ability to produce game content but have tons of big ideas, there is not a single person with any definable skill who does not already have a dream game they want to make.

I could make my own idea for probably-no-profit and some small amount of personal recognition.

Or I could make your idea for probably-no-profit and whatever recognition I can soak up from a game with someone else's name on it.

I'm being crass here, but I hope you already know the point is serious.  If you have an idea for a game (like any other creative thing) you either have to be able to make enough of it to convince other people that you're going places and helping would be a good idea, or you have to be able to put up enough incentive to make it worthwhile for a motivated single developer to put their own dreams on hold for yours.  And if you all you can offer is no more than a single developer could do for themselves with a single-person-quality game and Steam Greenlight, there's really not much incentive.

I get that you're basically talent scouting here, but without a tangible goal and any real definition of compensation, it comes across as those "I'll put in a good word if you work for free" posts they're trying to ban from Craigslist.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 05:54:48 am »

A couple of years back, I would've agreed with Aqizzar, but I've found myself changing over the last few months. Here's a couple of reasons:

• I've always had all of these great awesome ideas that I wanted to put into paper, but I've been realising they don't necessarily make a good game. They're more of a mish-mash of things that I wish I'd seen in other, specific games. Making a game starting from there is its own beast. I'd be happy with just providing some of the start-up ideas or theme, and then the occasional input from there.
  • Most projects tend to fizz out. Us (amateur game) programmers have great ideas, and this feeling that we can actually make any game we want. Turns out, that's not really true. I've started and stopped lots of little projects that never get finished. Working in a team makes it so there's someone else that you can bounce ideas with, which increases excitement and the feeling that someone else depends on you, so you feel like working harder on it.
  • Personally, I'm getting tired of working alone. It's all fine and dandy for a while, but it'd be great to have someone more committed to giving you feedback on what you're doing. Another programmer that looks at your code and can give insightful comments, or with whom you can discuss how to organise a certain feature. Just posting screenshots/videos online doesn't give you this kind of input, especially when you're working on behind the scenes stuff. Right now, I'd love to be working with someone else, rather than on my own project, as long as ideas aren't too dissimilar. I just want to make a nice game and have fun with someone else while doing it.

Plus, I don't think Hemmingjay is being "the idea man". I feel he's more or less proposing to be a gateway into the industry, which is notoriously hard to get into. Apparently, this includes funding. I mean, who's going to pay for expensive software if it needs to be used at some point?

It does feel like this is more of a long-term, full-time project, so let's see if there are any takers for that :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:13:36 am »

PTW.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:30:07 am »

Currently employed as a Dev but PTW.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 02:33:50 pm »

I'm definitely interested! Hemmingjay, I've sent a PM with my resume and some examples of work.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 11:14:15 pm »

I can write.  If you end up needing something in that direction, let me know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Killjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 03:11:52 am »

Okay, I since nobody else have done it yet, I will do the talent hunter bullshit test.

Hemmingjay, are you going to pay whatever team you assemble? Can people expect to get a salary?

Since you are getting some "substantial financial backing" if you can assemble a team, I am assuming you are going to spend these money ensuring the talented people you recruit can actually pay their bills and so on. 

Merchants Quest me programming a trading game with roguelike elements.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 04:19:02 am »

As an experienced small-team game designer, project director, and graphics artist, with connections to a handful of other pretty talented folks, color me interested. Cautious, maybe a tad skeptical, but interested.

You are a pretty cool guy hereabouts, but I'm going to set my personal feelings aside and treat this the same way I treat my clients. I'd be happy to send a portfolio of past work in game and graphics design, but I'd like to hear a bit more information about how you intend to raise funds for projects, how you intend to pay the dev team, what sort of platforms you're aiming for, what kind of projects you're anticipating developing, whether you have plans to market the projects, etc. Along with what other people have been saying, I'd like to hear more details.

Also, there are a number of crowd-sourced fundraising models that work well for small, low budget teams, which can help avoid having to track down and repay traditional financial backers. With the proper networking, and something concrete to show off, things like Kickstarter, open alphas, and different kinds of donation-based systems can easily fund the dev cycle for small scale iOS/Android apps, and even more ambitious projects. Just something to consider, if you hadn't already.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 04:24:32 pm »

@Hemmingjay
   I am a programmer in training or at least that is the best of way of putting it. I have been rewriting this next part a good number of times already but really it comes down to me not having much of any real experience in the field outside of class projects besides a failed 7DRL which I must admit I was happy with what I managed to complete. Also I am currently at college at the moment waiting for my class to start so I can't do anything about sending my resume but since you seem to be knowledgeable of this sort of stuff I will be sending it your way if only so I can get your opinion on it as I am mostly sure it needs a lot of work. Also seeing as I am going to college I mostly likely can't do anything that would be described as full time.
   As far as making someones idea into reality I have no qualms. Of course being a programmer that dabbles in making my own game if you want a game idea I have a mental list which is much too long. This does no one any good if you can't turn it into reality on your own. If someone has a good idea and people agree to develop it into something then its all good from my point of view. I get to work on a project with other people and as long as I don't crash and burn or something I have a real life experience with something I can put on my resume.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 04:30:26 pm »

I'm currently studying at uni for a programming degree so I suspect I'm not quite what you're looking for, but if I am, I'm here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

Akhier, do you have any career counselors at your college?  They're probably the best people to consult for resume critiques.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 4