Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Putting saves on Dropbox?  (Read 1325 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Putting saves on Dropbox?
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:07:27 pm »

Has anybody tried having it so that DF's "save" folder is actually a shortcut to a folder on Dropbox? Are saves compatible across different OS's versions of DF?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
Re: Putting saves on Dropbox?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:05 pm »

I've never tried any such thing... However, I am reasonably certain that DF saves are compatible across OSes (uh, except for the compressed mode that is known to depend on how your OS handles its bits and is in that regard essentially broken) because people put them up on the DFFD without any mention that "this save is for Linux"... plus I can't imagine with all the succession games that I wouldn't have heard loud complaints at least once about how the Linux people are excluded or something. No, all I hear is the trouble of getting DFHack and the Lazy Newb Pack working on other OSes. The game itself seems to be pretty agnostic unless you want to play with the "supposed to work but might crash your computer because graphics drivers lie" sorts of graphical mode settings.

Would this shortcut be the sort of link that, to a program using the filesystem, is treated the same as if it were the folder it points to?

It might be worth engaging in some fourth-wall-disregarding !!science!! to find answers to these questions.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:05:57 am »

I've done this and it works just fine. I can say from experience that saves are totally compatible between Windows and Linux, and I would be very shocked if saves on Macs are any different.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:12:44 am »

My DF folder is currently in Dropbox. (tough whit the logentries in gamelog, im probably on some NSI watchlists by now). And got no problems whit playing the game on multiple machines, ofcourse, I only have Windows machines sett up for gaming.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:34:32 pm »

You'd need to set up symlinks not shortcuts - I think, I just stick the whole thing on dropbox since I only have windows. 

There are now Lazy Newb Packs available for Windows (updated), Mac, and there's even an alpha of a Linux build (direct download link!) - it should be available on DFFD in the next few days.  All of them include dfhack and as many compatible utilities and graphics packs as possible. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:33:44 am »

Can't say for cross OS compatibility, but I've had my LNP DF entirely in my Dropbox since the time of ancients. It's really practical to have it with me everywhere, so I can always pick it up no matter where I am. :)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:50 am »

A regular shortcut isn't enough, you need to use symbolic links. I used to do that for my wow settings and addons when I played that, and also have my windows users and documents folders on a different drive from the rest of.the OS (one of those I had to use symbolic links for, can't remember which).

DF is small enough that I just keep it all in dropbox, like some others here. Even though I mostly only play on my desktop, since all but the early game are annoyingly slow on my laptop. Nice for fiddling with raws etc though, or for playing those early parts of a fort.