Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alt + Y Confirm Dialogue  (Read 5382 times)

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alt + Y Confirm Dialogue
« on: September 07, 2013, 01:17:34 am »

So I am training my adventurer on some small animals but whenever they pass out I am unable to auto attack them because of some weird rule, and can only attack them with an aimed attacked after a confirmation dialogue. Its really annoying and I was wondering if this is something that bothers others and something that already has a known fix/solution. Thanks for any help.

Gallahan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Alt + Y Confirm Dialogue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:44 am »

The way I see it, upon seeing an animal unconscious - and probably bleeding with several broken bones - my adventurer feels enough guilt to have second thoughts about finishing off the poor things, but not guilty enough to stop kicking it in the stomach repeatedly to see it vomit and ponder upon this faux moral dilemma that is being presented.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 09:17:11 am »

The way I see it, upon seeing an animal unconscious - and probably bleeding with several broken bones - my adventurer feels enough guilt to have second thoughts about finishing off the poor things, but not guilty enough to stop kicking it in the stomach repeatedly to see it vomit and ponder upon this faux moral dilemma that is being presented.

my adventurer has no moral compass to speak of, and is known to gouge out the eyes of his victims followed by a prolonged torture um... *training* session, in which he breaks every bone and internal organ in a slow and tedious process. participation is voluntary, from my adventurer's perspective, as the fate of his training dummies is the potential fate of all his enemies, and thus they choose this fate when they choose to live.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:25:26 am »

just make a hotkey on your computer and assign it to do alt+y and then set it to an easier to press key

NovenFromTheSun

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 04:51:32 pm »

I don't think you get skill experience from unconciuos opponents.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »

Indrick Boreale sees animal-based training as a sad dute that must be carried out in the name of The Emprah, that his combat skills may be honed and always at the ready in this strange, heretical land.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Draegur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 10:52:47 am »

none of these replies are helpful -_- IM FUCKING STARVING AND I WANT THE ANIMALS TO DIE. WHY CAN'T I JUST ATTACK! This is bothering the fuck out of me.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 11:24:33 am »

Well, if you've had your sadistic and training needs fulfilled, a single kick or weapon attack to the head is generally fatal to most enemies. Since unconscious enemies can't defend, you get a simple direct hit, which practically means you hit him damn hard wherever and however you want, so killing is likely only one attack.

As for other options, have you tried strangling and then auto-attacking? (Grab, chokehold, strange, you prob even have to set yourself to wrestle in combat prefs)
I haven't encountered the problem yet, even though I've strangled animals, might be because my adventurer is a vampire/necro now...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

TortuousAugur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

Sounds like you are playing an elf, or have added the [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] tag to your adventurer's race.
Sombody correct me if I'm wrong here, but simply removing this tag will negate the attack confirmation, if I understand the tag correctly. This will, however, affect the race as a whole, causing elfs to no longer be neutral towards wildlife, but I don't consider that to be a negative thing anyway...

The file in question can be located at: *\Dwarf Fortress\raw\objects\entity_default.txt

I have added it to the human race, because I was tired of my companions running off to brutally mutilate any and all animals that happened to be in the general area, which made it impossible for me to do anything to them before the NPC did...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »

It's possible for this to happen to any race, not just elves. For whatever reason, animals that go unconscious may occasionally be considered friendly, which means that in order to attack them you will have to confirm the attack. Awake animals that do not see you may also be immune to friendly fire, which can be frustrating to people who use ranged weapons or throwing.

There is no way to disable the 'friendly fire' confirmation, as far as I know.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:02:21 am »

Just checking all bases, did you try a shift-a attack?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:04 am »

Just checking all bases, did you try a shift-a attack?

He's saying that's the only way to attack them at all and that's when he has to press ALT+Y.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:16 pm »

Ah yes.  :-[
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »

It's possible for this to happen to any race, not just elves. For whatever reason, animals that go unconscious may occasionally be considered friendly, which means that in order to attack them you will have to confirm the attack. Awake animals that do not see you may also be immune to friendly fire, which can be frustrating to people who use ranged weapons or throwing.

There is no way to disable the 'friendly fire' confirmation, as far as I know.
Perhaps it has something to do with the empathy attribute?
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

tilly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 11:17:44 am »

I find it useful in crowd control combat... if you have an opponent go unconscious then atleast the game automatically goes after the most dangerous foe. Otherwise, i set a macro and strangle the last little bit of life from its sorry hide. Note: I ve seen my keyboard recorded macro played at 10x speed pass over 250 times (180 average) to strangle an opponent to death at a professional wrestler level so be careful who you strangle.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:20:09 am by tilly »
Pages: [1] 2