Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Kobold] Extreme Migrant Luck  (Read 3896 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
[Kobold] Extreme Migrant Luck
« on: September 07, 2013, 02:02:35 am »

I started a camp out in the middle of a snowy forest, and after much hardship, and thirst, all the bolds made it to summer. Then around the end of summer, a migrant wave of 8 people and a psycho toad shows up. Thinking "Cool a psycho toad" I ignored the migrants for a month, then I checked who they were. One was a Legendary Witch, who was immediately attacked by a dusk ogre once I found out. I freaked out and mobilized the entire military to save her, a living treasure, but then she wrapped the creature in vines and webs, but they came too late. She already webbed, and wrapped it with vines, then punched and bit the poor beast to death. After that show of badassery, she immediately went into a strange mood and made a Dolomite Banjo, encircles with rings and spikes of dolomite (Weirdly, I think it's name is Dolomite Banjo, or maybe it lacks a name?) Now she is a Legendary witch, and a Legendary stonecrafter before the first caravan shows up. I am currently building this bold a personal house(not like the bed pits the rest live in,) and a Tomb/shrine. Is this godly blessing an vampire in disguise, or will super wizards show up on their own accord?
*Side Note*: I am using standard Masterwork Kobold camp, except I changed it so i can dig, to get to the second cavern layer for more fun, That's how I got the dolomite.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:04:51 am by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: [Kobold] Extreme Migrant Luck
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 02:37:13 am »

Its a rare, but benign migrant. No hidden fun stuff for kobolds I modded in.

I actually thought about making kobolds dig, oh so slowly, because I could gen a world with dwarves, taiga-orcs and kobold-camp kobolds at the same time, allowing players to play one fort, retire, then start a kobold camp ON it. Or similar nonsense. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:16:25 am »

Its a rare, but benign migrant. No hidden fun stuff for kobolds I modded in.

I actually thought about making kobolds dig, oh so slowly, because I could gen a world with dwarves, taiga-orcs and kobold-camp kobolds at the same time, allowing players to play one fort, retire, then start a kobold camp ON it. Or similar nonsense. :)
Yea, I only take digging so I can see how kobolds can handle silly cavern stuff and so I don't lose anyone to moods(It seems all the ones that get moods are my best soldiers or smiths ::) Btw, a Giant cave spider can take out a good 4-5 kobolds if the military doesnt show up fast enough, and I thought they killed dwarves fast. And the all civ thing would be cool, like a bunch of orcs settle in to a destroyed fortress, and find a working golem forge. The only problem I see with that is, most Kobold campers are really stingy about the digging subject (well, the ones that I know personally) and figuring out what civ you are in a multi civ map is a pain, and that is why I never released my last mod(or any, also due to laziness.)
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 03:25:21 am »

Will Kobolds have access to the ore processor?
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:02:04 am »

Will Kobolds have access to the ore processor?

They already do. I haven't used it yet, but I built it, and that's enough.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 04:03:40 am »

I am not sure myself. It would meddle and mix the pets, the plants and such, which I hopefully can control with a script at some point in the future, but I dont know about the digging. I tried taking away picks from kobolds, that works, but then they cant dig soil... which is boring. Sadly, I cant make a "soil-only pick"...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:39 am »

Oh well. If I want all the species right here right now, I know enough modding to mix em together, and then add fire breathing land sharks if I feel like it. One day it would be cool if you could make it so picks, shovels, etc. could only mine certains stuff, like, only a steel pick can mine adamantine, and not just cheap copper ones. I doubt that will happen though, would make the game even more complex and micromanagy. Welp, this was a productive two man discussion, twas fun. back to playing Kobold Camp and using that super witch for evi... protecting innocents!
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:25:06 am »

I can make interactions target specific items, for example a "coal mining drill" would be able to mine coal without generating coaldust that hurts the miners. Or "lead picks" that give immunity to warpstone. ;)

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:42:47 am »

On the migrant subject... Yeah my camps have relied on starting with or getting early migrants a witcher or witch. Yet to get a Druid but atleast I can train them up early. The witchers become the commanders of a few normal Bolds that either do slings or bolas (can't decide what I like there better...slings get unlimited practice stoneware bullets, but bolas seem to kill better even in the bone bolas vs iron sling bullet comparison). With spiders to help, and the easy abilty to get rigid/bonerattle/lamellar armors, it seems my early squads are stronger and ready faster than dwarves. But dwarven squads move to steel armor and alloy weapons and I'm not sure where to take Bolds. Farming for all the warpaint dyes is a bigger endevor than steel production when Bolds are so meat driven.  All I do is go for more witchers/druids with each migrant wave and replace the bola fodder like Russians in ww2 (here is your armor, don't mind the blood, the last guy didn't).
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 07:53:52 am »

My experiences tell me most Kobolds' death comes from being hit in the head because caps are not proper armor. To counter this, you need Nostun/nopain warpaint and hopefully high dodging skills I think. As for other warpaints, you can get some at embark and plump helmets with the thieves tunnel. I usually embark with some seed of each useful plant available.

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »

On the migrant subject... Yeah my camps have relied on starting with or getting early migrants a witcher or witch. Yet to get a Druid but atleast I can train them up early. The witchers become the commanders of a few normal Bolds that either do slings or bolas (can't decide what I like there better...slings get unlimited practice stoneware bullets, but bolas seem to kill better even in the bone bolas vs iron sling bullet comparison). With spiders to help, and the easy abilty to get rigid/bonerattle/lamellar armors, it seems my early squads are stronger and ready faster than dwarves. But dwarven squads move to steel armor and alloy weapons and I'm not sure where to take Bolds. Farming for all the warpaint dyes is a bigger endevor than steel production when Bolds are so meat driven.  All I do is go for more witchers/druids with each migrant wave and replace the bola fodder like Russians in ww2 (here is your armor, don't mind the blood, the last guy didn't).

You can steal shiny plate armor from the humies. They use such simple locks, it's almost like they want their stuff to be stolen.
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 01:57:52 am »

My experiences tell me most Kobolds' death comes from being hit in the head because caps are not proper armor. To counter this, you need Nostun/nopain warpaint and hopefully high dodging skills I think. As for other warpaints, you can get some at embark and plump helmets with the thieves tunnel. I usually embark with some seed of each useful plant available.
Most of my former war bolds die after I retire them. They usually get a hand or foot ripped off, and I just retire the runner, then they die in a freak accident, usually involving webs, trees, or cave bears taking naps in my cave entrance. I also noticed that my kobold military always does better than my dwarf military, and I have no idea why. My dwarf military is always getting drunk, throwing parties, getting horribly maimed, or deciding they need a nap in a battle. bolds always seem to get the job done  :D
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 04:08:46 am »

But they can't bring over killing Niths. Oh no. :-\

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:43:34 pm »

I can make interactions target specific items, for example a "coal mining drill" would be able to mine coal without generating coaldust that hurts the miners. Or "lead picks" that give immunity to warpstone. ;)

Wait, couldn't you make it so that shovels can only be made out of a certain material that's easy to make(say, wood) and an interaction with said material that INCREASES mining speed(like make it so that kobolds naturally learn mining at a thousandth of normal, but that this increases the learning rate) or something along those lines? And then make it so that 'bolds cannot normally have picks, only shovels?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 11:35:20 pm »

I actually dont know what that should acomplish. I can take away picks from them already. Its just that I cant make a pick that only digs soil.
Pages: [1] 2