Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Kobold] Extreme Migrant Luck  (Read 3895 times)

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Kobold] Extreme Migrant Luck
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »

But is there a way to make it so that only soil can be dug EASILY?
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:53 am »

Yes and No. There is already the hardcoded difference between soil (fast) and rock (slow), but I cant change anything on it.

I can only make kobolds very, very slow. And maybe a bit harder to get the pick/shovel, so its not at embark, so you start with a above-ground fort, before starting to dig down after 1-2 ingame years. Thats my basic thought behind it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 05:33:52 am »

Well, I say remove shovels and make late game hand picks.
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 06:55:07 pm »

I actually thought about making kobolds dig, oh so slowly, because I could gen a world with dwarves, taiga-orcs and kobold-camp kobolds at the same time, allowing players to play one fort, retire, then start a kobold camp ON it. Or similar nonsense. :)

How do you make a creature dig more slowly?  I'd love to be able to use this trick in my own modding experiments.

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »

Digging speed is determined by mining skill, so SKILL_LEARN_RATE:MINING:0 would ensure low-level miners only.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:13 pm »

Here's a thought involving picks. Maybe, you could add a reaction to the Magma Generator (since it's stolen from dwarves) that requires, say, a steel bar (since kobolds can't make them on their own) and a pick (which kobolds can't use) to create a handpick, which kobolds could use to cut through stone. It seems like it would be sufficiently late game to not crash the balance, since it has pretty strict material and theft requirements...
Or alternately, you could add handpicks to the list of moodable items (which would make obtaining one entirely luck based) or the list of stuff stolen from dwarves, but at very low success rate.

Just a c-c-c-c-crazy idea.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 06:59:48 pm »

The problem with that is that there is no way to make a shovel only dig soil without making stone completely undiggable. Any mining item is only distinguishable from another by the attacks it has and its size.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 07:03:09 pm »

i say to make it an option, preferably in the gui
to dig all stone but late game or only soil

that is until dfhack people make it a possibility to have both ;)
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 05:38:55 am »

The only reason I would make stone diggable for kobolds is this: You can have a world with dwarves, taiga-orcs and kobolds-camps. All at the same time. Make your orc fort, get besieged by dwarves with golems... then retire your fort, play dwarves for a bit, embark right next to your orc-camp.

Then retire again, make a 6x3 embark with kobolds on BOTH the orc fort and dwarf fort... steal from both. :P (dont know if that is actually possible with embark everywhere, or if you would reclaim the forts instead, but you can hope...)

bragos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »

Maybe a way to get kobolds to dig a bit is to use a 'coaldust' kind of interaction / effect on all stone layers ('falling-rubble') dwarves would be immume to this but kobolds not. This would allow kobolds to dig soil safely, but trying to dig stone would be suicidal.

For a later game item you could add a special kind of pick which conveys (partial) immunitie from this falling rubble.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 05:05:01 pm »

Doesnt work, because it needs a evaporating rock... if I make normal rock evaporate, dwarves wont get boulders. ;) Would only work on rubble.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 11:47:16 am »

can you have dfhack change the tiles around a reaction or boiling stone? such as have a building run an interaction "set tnt" and the building deconstructs while having dfhack convert nearby stone to rubble say in a 5x5x3?
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 12:51:46 pm »

Haha, yeah, I asked dfhack a long time ago about that, would be an awesome mechanisms... that was before r3 though... maybe its possible now, or with the next version.
Pages: 1 [2]