Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Request: Script that changes animal variations to castes.  (Read 4918 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Request: Script that changes animal variations to castes.
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »

I already have an msi file of it on the netbook, by chance. But seriously, this page is one of the worst examples (or best, depending on point of view) on how to alienate newcomers. XZ, Gzipped, Bzipped, TARS? TGZs?  This:
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key (fingerprint: 12EF 3DC3 8047 DA38 2D18 A5B9 99CD EA9D A413 5B38). The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
Thats all complete and utter nonsense, whats a fingerprint, source tarballs? I have grown up with computers and I am quite good with them, and every single one of these words is an unknown to me. And thats just the download page. ;)

Thats the reason why I never installed it, they assume that someone who wants to download Python is a programmer, while 99% of the other products offer an idiot-proof .exe. It would be like me writing the changelog for the mod in RAW tokens alone. ^^

But enough of the rant, I'll have a look and try to run a script when I am back in Germany. Somehow I assume it will be more work then double-clicking it. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 03:13:06 pm »

you just showed me the nerd credentials >_> you don't really need to know any of that.

No, you install python, then all .py files are now executable with a double-click. It's pretty simple.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 07:45:12 pm »

Hey Meph, couldn't you just do the following:

Code: [Select]
[CASTE:CURIOUSBEAST_MALE]
  -- default male tags
  [APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:CURIOUSBEAST]

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 09:30:16 pm »

Magmafry: Yes, if I wanted to do 175 creatures by hand, removing 175 giant-creatures, adding the castes to another 175, across 4 tile-set sets. Thats 350x4 ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 06:41:08 am »

Oh, I just actually realized what you meant. I thought you wanted custom variations for your own creatures.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 01:44:01 pm »

I will see what I can do with that script, although I did find the first bug just by looking at your example screenshot. 200kg max-size is in the creature description, which is fine for grizzly, but way bigger then the tiny grizzly can get, and way smaller then the giant grizzly. So your other script cant quite read out the CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC. ;) Not a huge issue, especially since I dont have this extra description for now, and you probably knew that already, but hey, at least I try to help ;)

Yeah, my old size script was made before I thought about CHANGE_BODY_SIZE_PERC, I will update that when I get a chance. I also want to make it a little more robust, but I have to think about how to do that.

I also just realized, you probably only want to add the extra creature castes to the creatures already with a giant variation. If that is the case I will add a little check and re-upload the script since right now it does all creatures in a particular file.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »

Well, yes, that was the initial thought... only for surface animals... the cavern monsters are evil enough as they are... but I guess it couldnt hurt for a few of them, I'd probably do that manually thought. I also have so many fake-creatures, I have to sort the raws before I do anything. ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:44 pm »

I also just realized, you probably only want to add the extra creature castes to the creatures already with a giant variation. If that is the case I will add a little check and re-upload the script since right now it does all creatures in a particular file.
Yes, thats the case.

I installed Python and run the scripts... the removal of giant/animalmen works great, the caste-additions as well. I wrote 23 of them, it does throw some errorlogs out (some creatures are missing tissues), but nothing major. The biggest problem is that sort the creatures, since I dont want it on pets or sentient or fake-creatures... if you could the that "little check" that looks for existing giant-variants and uses only those, that would help a lot.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:57:38 am »

Yeah, I can add a check for existing giant creatures. Could also add a check for things like [PET] or [INTELLIGENT] or something and only add them if they don't have those tags. Also it looks like (according to the Wiki) [PET] is a Caste specific token, so you could make one of the castes be able to be tamed and still have the other variations of the creature. (Although I'm not sure how that would work if the pet caste had a child of the non-pet caste)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 02:04:58 pm »

I dont know... buit the PET token is usually in the creature, not in the castes. When I embarked, I had 8 pages of mastiffs...

I'm not sure how to best do this... no COMMON_DOMESTIC, for sure. No intelligent creatures, either. The main problem for me is that I have 12 sets of raws by now, I wouldnt mind doing it by hand for one, but I'm not looking forward to do it that often. ^^

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »

Realized I could probably do an external list (like just in a txt file or something) and that way if you ever way to add a creature you would just need to add it to the list. I could start the list with all the giant creatures in vanilla, and you could add and subtract what you want from there.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 04:10:09 am »

That sounds even better. Creature_ID would be great. :)

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 09:11:02 am »

Alright. I am traveling all week and won't be back until Sunday, but it should be a pretty simple change since I do something similar for one of my scripts already. so I should be able to upload it on Sunday.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2013, 12:56:06 am »

Done. You can see the examples in the creature_list.txt file. Let me know how it works.
Pages: 1 [2]