Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: The Kinda Sorta Build-a-City Game (Late Spring, Year 1) RL-Hiatus-ed  (Read 21902 times)

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build things (The beginning: recruitment)
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »

Journal Entry 1:

So after getting settled, and a lot of strange folks getting to talking to each other, we went and collected materials and seeds for planting. We didn't have any tools yet, but we sure had a lot of large sticks and rocks around. Building housing could wait, it wasn't too bad in the open sky, especially with all of those paranoid people with all the pointy sticks. hmm... list of things to do today!

Start 2 primitive farms by using the the rocks to break the ground, and the pointed sticks to dig rows. (8 builders) Create 1 large one and one smaller one. (6 builders big, 2 builders small)

Plant any weavable plants we found last week and plant them in the smaller farm. (20 farmers)

Plant any edible plants we found last week and plant them in the larger farm. (10 farmers)

Gather lumber for later use in building huts. (8 axemen)

Get the weavers and clothes makers to gather more food. (2 weavers, 2 clothesmakers)

Well, lets hope we survive this week.

-end of entry-

((Did i do that right?))
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:54:46 pm by RangerCado »
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2013, 11:32:04 pm »

Unit: Kesh
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hmmm. Set the builders to building crude huts to start, using wood, reeds, mud bricks, loose stones; whatever's available, basically. Keep the gatherers foraging, and have the miners work on making crude digging tools from rocks and wood.
The huts should be clustered together, and once the miners have tools they should dig out a surrounding ditch and link it to the river.
The Spearmen should patrol and run combat drills. The mages should work on integrating with the spearmen- that is, training to fight together effectively: casting from behind a defensive line mostly, for now.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 11:35:06 pm »

Journal Entry:

You know, sometimes I think I'm surrounded by idiots. I told them to gather materials to build a smeltery and what do they do? They say we can't build a smeltery yet and just laze about all week instead of helping to gather the needed materials. And who's bright idea was it to bring axenekos with no axes? Sometimes makes me want to cut off my ears and tail and disguise myself as human. Guess I'll just have to micromanage them until they develop brains of their own...but first there's a bright spot on the ground over there and I've gotta catch it.

Have the axenekos and builders gather sturdy sticks and stones, preferably flint if they can find it.
Weaponsmiths take the flint(stones if all that's found/run out) and some of the sturdier sticks and make some basic axes. A couple of hoes or shovels for the farmer nekos if they have time.
Armoursmiths examine the materials available so far and come up with some armour designs.
The wizards should go and help those half-whatizits with figuring out a summoning spell.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 01:12:16 am »

Kwaa-naa Group

What a mess. even we have less real estate requirements (we can perch on trees in the first place) those pesky felines got most of their attention. Perhaps birds and cats is a purrfect recipe for time-wasting.

Anyway, we have lots of rock and wood around, so we should collect building materials and build housing. Lend help as lifters if needed, provide that they allow for entrances on the top level.

We also saw the lack of proper tools and results in people working with talons and claws (and paws). That makes no sense. Tinkerers should try to make sure that something is done to stop this. We don't want to do an DFA every time to drive something into soil.

To be specific we should shape rocks into usable tools.

BTW, make sure that the wizards of other parties are using their spells to blast away rock and mountains. Otherwise we would promise to "play" fetch with them for another week.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:51:49 pm by evilcherry »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 05:32:57 am »

What do you mean, no tool at all?
Crap. Well, let's do with it...
Even if those guys seems pretty stupid in the first place, we do with what we have.

Half the archers go hunting, the other half make 18 bows and go hunting once it's done. Unless they already have bows in which case just go hunting.
Fishermen makes harpoons (sharpened sticks) for all and go fishing after that.
Half the farmers and orchadeers makes tools while the other half goes looking for usable plants. And gather food while they're at it. Once the tools are done, start farm and orchard. Use fast-growing trees like cherry trees (I have a couple in my backyard, these things spread like crazy).
The writers do moral-buffing via storytelling around the campfire. Anyone welcome for bonding purposes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:30:22 am by kaian-a-coel »
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 12:56:18 pm »

@Harbingerjm
I had interpreted that as a suggestion rather than a command. My bad. :)

@RangerCado
As long as I can tell what's going on it's all good.

@All
For gameplay reasons (and so I can do less work) give plans for building tools. It doesn't have to be specific, but it needs to get the job done.
As in, "Have our guys make axes" should come with a plan for what the axe would look like (sharp rock tied to a stick, for example).

Yes you can have customized tools for each group.
As long as the tool is explained -enough- it'll be accepted.

...so yes if you can find a way to make it work you can have drills.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2013, 02:53:30 pm »

@Harbingerjm
I had interpreted that as a suggestion rather than a command. My bad. :)

@RangerCado
As long as I can tell what's going on it's all good.

@All
For gameplay reasons (and so I can do less work) give plans for building tools. It doesn't have to be specific, but it needs to get the job done.
As in, "Have our guys make axes" should come with a plan for what the axe would look like (sharp rock tied to a stick, for example).

Yes you can have customized tools for each group.
As long as the tool is explained -enough- it'll be accepted.

...so yes if you can find a way to make it work you can have drills.
Just to remind you that you should assume everyone else are real dumb, except yourself.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2013, 05:55:40 pm »

@evilcherry

Meh.  :D

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:11 am »

Roight, here we go:

Builders build somewhere to sleep:
They find two trees opposite each other (if none available, and larger stakes of wood available, stick them into the ground). They then use rope like plants that they collected earlier and tie it to one tree and then to the other. They then use little sticks into the ground, and tie the rope like plants to the pegs over the one between the posts. Do these several times to make a makeshift roof. Drape leaves and bark to make it water proof with a entrance left open. Cover the ground with leaves, heather and other soft plants to make a kind of mattress.

From now on, this will be called 'Makeshift Shelter'.

Phew.

Woodcutters takes solid sticks and use rope like plants to tie on bits of rock. Said rocks are sharpened with flint before hand. These are axes.

Fishers sharpen long sticks. These are harpoons. They then use them to fish.

Orchardeers gather fruit from trees from the forest.

Gatherers gather tinder and seeds. Seeds are given to those Neko's who wish to farm.

I don't know knots... hope I've explained it well enough anyways. I'm not particularly great at description, so, sorry if it's not particularly an easy read :P

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2013, 11:12:31 am »

===================
Mick's unit

yay Mick -clappity-  :D

'Mick's Makeshift Shelter' adopted as potential default shelter.
'Mick's Axe' adopted as potential default axe.
'Mick's Harpoon' adopted as a potential default fishing tool.
===================

Hmm...

Ok, so. Don't need to go into total detail mode. "rope like plants" is detail mode, just "rope" will be fine in the future, things like that.
Materials for making generic things are assumed to be gathered out of whatever is available unless specifically mentioned.

In that event call it "The Roof of Mick" and say it's made with "Leaves and Bark". :3
Giving me an image reference is fine (like "search -this- in google" or something") but it still needs a word explanation to count.

anyways.

==========================
 Event
Earlier today some of the more keen eyed folks in the town noticed a commotion near the riverbank. Apparently a small group of small predators chased a large prey pretty close to us and...

oh. Oh that's not good.

The prey just kicked one of the predators into the river.

Masterful Rendition of the Event
What are your actions? (default: Do nothing and watch)

Predator resembles: Badger
Prey resembles: Moose
^ frame of reference.

For the record people who want to play but have no unit can weigh in on this. They'll just be treated as one of the 150 unaffiliated civilians who decided to take solo action.
Survival optional.

The reason why these guys seem stupid is because I don't want to end up driving the game. It would be railroady and boring if I did.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:44 am »

Glad I was on the right tracks. :)

The fishers, with their harpoons, use them by pointing them in front of them. They keep themselves between the prey and the other people protecting them. They tell everyone to stay away from the river. I imagine that would be all the people I have at the river, so that's the plan.

If one of these creatures approach, prod with the spears to try and tentatively drive them off. If one is injured, prod harder to bring it down. If any archers/hunters from us appears, back off a little to give them more room to do what they do.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2013, 02:15:31 pm »

Spoiler: Promtho's Journal. (click to show/hide)

Keep working on spell to summon Followers. Gather up materials to make some sort of textile. Gather up sticks and such for fire fuel and tents construction.

(I hope I don't have to explain how a tent works.)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »

@Promtho
No you don't. :D Although the tent covering might end up a little...ambiguous.

=========
Event observation

The predators seem to work by ganging up and mauling their prey one by one.

The villagers watching seem to be bouncing names off of one another for them, with "Grey Face Eating Small Thing" the most popular.
=========

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 02:40:16 pm »

let's go with maulfaces and not go anywhere near them without proper weapons.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:45 pm »

This is where avians works best.

Kwaa-naa instruct everyone of his band to pick up rocks, do a dive above them, then drop them on approach. Rinse and repeat if needed.

Dive bombers FTW.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19