Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: The Kinda Sorta Build-a-City Game (Late Spring, Year 1) RL-Hiatus-ed  (Read 21899 times)

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's build things (Early Spring, Year 1)
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2013, 08:37:23 pm »

Wow, nice. Don't think you can make stone saws. But once we have access to even copper we can start to cut even rock.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:42 pm »

Righto. Till we get saws, a lot of our stuff's gonna be a bit... clumsy. Half-log shields are gonna be ruddy heavy. But hey, should save lives against archers. They'll get a good test in the practice combat. Large elven archer division there.
I'd imagine you'd have to drop them for melee at the moment, though.

Actually... screw the shields. I'mma make moving wooden walls. Since their purpose is just to stop archers from killing us. Gonna edit post.

Next turn I'll be focussing on finding clay, heating it up and making clay ovens (along with house building, ofcourse). We can make forges and whatnot from there.

See, I am now totally happy I decided to focus entirely on the economic side of things ^^.

Oh yeah... my 'see below' comment referred to the dragcart. Forgot to mention that XD.

[Edit: Welcome: Squad shields. You can BET plenty of 'formations' and strategies will arise from these. I'd put one in now, but I'mma be roleplay like and wait till the practice combat is over so I could atleast say that Mick has some combat experience and thinks this may work :P]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:53:01 pm by Maxinum McDreich »

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2013, 10:29:39 pm »

The fact that you've gotten into the game brings a nerdsmile to my face. :D

@Maxinum McDreich
I may have met my text wall match. :3

@cheesemcmuffin88
Duly noted.
Also, "and associated skills" is too ambiguous (der). Either leave it blank (no skills) or choose something concrete. I'm pretty lenient with skillsets and what they're capable of doing so don't fuss over it. :p

@Everyone else
Does the images show up okay for you guys? Not like there's anything interesting to see yet, but..

@More notes
Ooh boy. I'm gonna have so much fun with those shields. hehehehe.

================================
 Event. Continued some more
================================
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scribbling

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hrm...

Ok.

I'll give you guys some pathways.

After Friday.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:45:43 pm by Ashsaber »

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2013, 10:32:19 pm »

Ohhh, yay, mobile scratching posts!
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2013, 10:34:56 pm »

Have all of my people make enough tents for themselves. Keep researching Summing. My people also start creating, WITH BLOOD, some books of entertainment for people to read in their free time.

Spoiler: Promtho's Journal. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:54:40 pm by Terra162 »

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2013, 10:48:48 pm »

@Terra162
Just so you know there's no normal writing utensil.
So you're going to end up with books written in blood or something.
Which would be pretty cool, if a little disturbing on your free time.

Mages are apparently very hardcore about their novels.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:31 pm »

Playing Name: kittehs
Squad size: 50
Race: nekos

Squad specialties:
   Major:
sword
   Minor:
   mining
   weaponsmith
   furnace operator
   armor smith

job
mine a 3x3 meter area about 1 meter above the ground by hitting a hill with rocks(miners)
make ladders using wood(everyone else)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:43:16 pm by ICBM pilot »
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

cheesemcmuffin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2013, 06:22:18 pm »

Memoirs of Green Beard

ORDERS

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: As of right now unnamed build a village then town then city game
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:24 pm »

Name: Rolep
Size:30
Race: Goblins
Skill:
Major:
Gathering
Minor:
Trapping
Taming/Breeding
Brewing(we had this before we had bread, okay? Like, before we had shelter and such. I can explain in idiot-resistant way if you want, but it's pretty simple...)
Carpenting

Job: Collect wild grains for the gatherers; use stones to hack at wood and cut vines/roots for 'rope' and set animal traps for everyone else.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Terra162

• Bay Watcher
  • Slubberdegullon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2013, 06:53:48 pm »

Very well, Updating post.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2013, 10:02:30 pm »

@Rolepgeek
The deal isn't really "how do we do it at all" but more "How do we do it with what we have".
And currently we don't have much.

@cheesemcmuffin88
I'm not distinguishing between genders. Including it is fine but it won't be reflected in the update.

@All
So yes, that brings up a good point. For those of you wondering why we're so...badly teched, it's because we don't have the tools and need to improvise.
The tech level for the rest of the world is...somewhere in the high medieval times, with a smattering of magic mixed in. standard rpg fare. Once trade becomes available things should be easier.

The whole "explain in an idiot resistant way" becomes a lot more relevant once you start introducing tech that's not available by default; for now it's just "how to improvise".

=======
Stuff
=======
Player parties (1st page, 3rd post) has been updated.

~One more Edit~
I just went through the submitted orders 1 last time and I gotta say...
if I end up goofing something next week, have a nickel and laugh, 'cuz this is actually a lot of info to piece together.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:44:36 pm by Ashsaber »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2013, 08:41:55 am »

Yeah, I won't blame you for missing stuff... think you shoulda had a cap to players personally. :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2013, 06:52:09 pm »

The first "beer" is believed to have been made by accident. Rain water fermenting gathered grains in a bucket/basket. It wasn't really all that good, but it's what it is.

Banging rocks together to get sharp rocks(use a really hard rock against a slightly softer rock) for knives, and using carved(or uncarved) wood for handles with animal sinew to keep them together isn't too hard. Neither is getting said sharp rock and a larger wood piece for a handle to make axes. And of course, hide shields, or wood ones if you got enough of it and a patient carver. Traps can be made from animal sinews, vines, dug up with "shovels" or even just sticks or hands. Takes a delicate hand, perhaps, and you need to know where to put it, but the tech's not hard. Making non-lethal animal traps and training them is less simple, but certainly possible. We may not have the extra resources to train them yet, on the other hand.

But yeah. It's not too hard to get sharp stones, which lets you deal with wood easier, which lets you get better stones and food, which lets you build bigger projects like boats or wooden huts, which lets you get more food and/or not die from exposure, which lets you try out new things, allows for trade and war, and eventually allows you to make fires hot enough in stone furnaces(just because you can't cut stone evenly doesn't mean you can't find stones that are about the right size and stuff clay in the cracks) to smelt ore. With someone smart and tough(so they can withstand the difficulty of being the first person to do smithingness), who figures out what is less likely to burn, or uses long stone bits, and a big heavy rock hammer to shape the metal, you now have metal. Not much, but you have it, hurray! Which lets you get more. And maybe the other part of the copper-tin combo, and now someone makes bronze. Eventually, you get hit enough furnaces to smelt iron, and when you put carbon in that, you get steel. Tada, medieval. And also, clay/pottery.

Although, large nets aren't easy to make until we have easy access to rope. We'll need better farming for that, if we really need anything for it at all.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2013, 07:31:13 pm »

The first "beer" is believed to have been made by accident. Rain water fermenting gathered grains in a bucket/basket. It wasn't really all that good, but it's what it is.

Banging rocks together to get sharp rocks(use a really hard rock against a slightly softer rock) for knives, and using carved(or uncarved) wood for handles with animal sinew to keep them together isn't too hard. Neither is getting said sharp rock and a larger wood piece for a handle to make axes. And of course, hide shields, or wood ones if you got enough of it and a patient carver. Traps can be made from animal sinews, vines, dug up with "shovels" or even just sticks or hands. Takes a delicate hand, perhaps, and you need to know where to put it, but the tech's not hard. Making non-lethal animal traps and training them is less simple, but certainly possible. We may not have the extra resources to train them yet, on the other hand.

But yeah. It's not too hard to get sharp stones, which lets you deal with wood easier, which lets you get better stones and food, which lets you build bigger projects like boats or wooden huts, which lets you get more food and/or not die from exposure, which lets you try out new things, allows for trade and war, and eventually allows you to make fires hot enough in stone furnaces(just because you can't cut stone evenly doesn't mean you can't find stones that are about the right size and stuff clay in the cracks) to smelt ore. With someone smart and tough(so they can withstand the difficulty of being the first person to do smithingness), who figures out what is less likely to burn, or uses long stone bits, and a big heavy rock hammer to shape the metal, you now have metal. Not much, but you have it, hurray! Which lets you get more. And maybe the other part of the copper-tin combo, and now someone makes bronze. Eventually, you get hit enough furnaces to smelt iron, and when you put carbon in that, you get steel. Tada, medieval. And also, clay/pottery.

Although, large nets aren't easy to make until we have easy access to rope. We'll need better farming for that, if we really need anything for it at all.

Well, when you put it that way, it sounds so simple! :P

Totally didn't think about hammer and chisel. I can carve up the wood to make shields from that instead of saws for now.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2013, 08:02:05 pm »

=====================
Turn 4
Early Spring, Week 4
=====================
Arrivals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unknowns

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updates
I'm just gonna omit the party income tally. The resources coming in is just too fast to keep track.

Kaian-a-coel's Unit

Keeper's Unit

Sergei's Unit

Mick

Kwaa-naa

Promtho's Unit

Mammoth Charge

Green Beard

kittehs

Rolep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Food

Material Income
Since we can't process the lumber very well smaller tools are built out of readily available wood and thus not reflected in our tally. Such as lances.

Material usage

Final Tally

Cheap materials like rock and sticks are not counted anymore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buildings
GM blessing: Constructions are hurried and fluffed a lil' because I lazied. :3

Housing
Plans

Major Constructions
Currently Available: Avian Support, Low Transport Needs (TN)
Transport needs only reflect the speed of construction, not what's needed to make things; Avian support is TN, but dependent on the willingness of the Avian populace.
BuildPoints are generated by a builder being told to make things. a skill 1 builder makes 1 point a day, and it goes up from there.
BP requirements are fluffed. :(

Houses

In the future this section will only outline Changes in building availability.
Gathering Fatigue

Morale
Kaian-a-coel's Elves: -1

Keeper's Nekos: +2

Sergei's Nekos: +2

Mick's Humans: +2

Kwaa-Naa's Avians: +5

Promtho's Half-Elves: +2

Mammoth Charge's Avians: +1

Green Beard's Humans: +1

kittehs's Nekos: +2

Rolep's Goblins: +2
Research Progress
Summon Familiar (Promtho) 23%
Treehouse (Kwaa-naa) 25%
Improved Lances (Kwaa-naa) 8%
Enchanted Charge (Mammoth Charge) 3%
Blag's Shrine (Green Beard) 10%
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Religion
Blag - 25 followers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Population
Party + Neutral
100 + 57 Elf
150 + 58 Neko
75 + 37 Human
30 + 5 Goblin
100 + 28 Avian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

===========================
 End of Week 4
===========================
I think I'm either coming really close to the character limit on a single post or breaking some record on spoiler tag usage. Anyways.

Recruitment for Mock Combat is Open until Monday evening
Submit the following:
Number of squads
Squad composition
  format: Name Weapon Size Pro (ex. Spear 5 2, so 2 professionals in the group bolstered by 3 militia. Spear 5 0 would be all militia. etc.)
Squad Combinations (optional), with a name different from the normal squad names.
  format: Squad Names -> Combined Name.

So it'd end up looking something like this:

+=
Squads: 4.
Composition: A Spear 5 0, B Spear 5 0, C Archer 3 7, D Archer 0 10.
Total 13 17.
A C -> Combat Unit 1, B D -> Combat Unit 2.
+=

As well as the General Orders the units should take.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Is there a character limit for posts? 'cuz this is hitting 20k.
Also, let me know if there's any errors or points of contest.
I'll probably find a different method of update in the future. Yeesh.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:16:25 am by Ashsaber »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19