Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lords of Summoning [PROTOTYPE]  (Read 5053 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Lords of Summoning [PROTOTYPE]
« on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:06 am »

Yeah this isn't done yet. You can sign up for the prototype turns though! :D

Summoner Types - Shows what sort of traits your summons have -->[]
Divine - Appeal to high gods to be granted control over their subjects. [versatile, righteous, loyal]
Unholy - Appeal to low gods to be granted control over their subjects. [corrupting, malevolent, traitorous]
Necromantic - Reanimate bodies vacant of their souls with dark energies or other souls. [survivable, weak, obedient, unintelligent]
Elemental - Create avatars using the raw elements [powerful, unintelligent, selfish]

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Prototypers: scapheap, mastahcheese, Cheesecake
Contributors: Escaped Lurker

Brainstorming Section - Suggestions and ideas welcome.
I thought about maybe giving units a range and when a summoner attempted a summon, I'd roll a die for it, and the result would be the number of that unit they would get.

Example: PC Necromancer Leonid - SUM: Norm. Skeletons [1-100], Norm. Zombies [1-50] - UNIT: 456 Norm. Skeletons, 123 Norm. Zombies
Summon Normal Skeletons.

[d100]--> +57 normal skeletons
---

Then perhaps you could have 'mutations' to upgrade these base units.

Example: PC Necromancer Leonid - SUM: Norm. Skeletons [1-100], Norm. Zombies [1-50] - UNIT: 513 Norm. Skeletons, 123 Norm. Zombies - MUT: Brute Zombies [1-10]
Mutate Norm. Zombies~ Brute.

[d10]--> +4 Brute Zombies (-4 Norm. Zombies)
---

100 Mana Max   1 Mana=1 Summon   Average +10 Mana each turn
10 Energy Max   3 Energy=1 Upgrade   Average +1 Energy each turn
1 Upgrade=Tier Increase
5 Energy=1 Evolution   Evolution=+2 Tier Increase+custom special ability permanently added to unit type; 40% chance failure; if unit is at maximum tier, creates a new tier
---

This would work perfectly if I could figure out how these units' stats would work out.

The thing that's keeping me from finishing the game really is the numbers part of it: how do I quantify these resources (favour for the first two and mana for the next two) as well as the lands and structures they have in a way that's fair and balanced? This is always where I hit a wall with complicated games. I hesitate when it comes time for me to turn everything into concrete values. Is it possible for me to just fuck the numbers and the dice and still make a fun game? Is there a simpler way that I can do this using straight dice that still has depth?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:58:18 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Summoning [PROTOTYPE]
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:30:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:08:06 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:52:51 am »

I can probably help, but I'd need to know more about exactly what kind of a system you're going for.

It's definitely possible to just sort of fudge things and still come out with a fun game, but it tends to be a bit trickier than when you plan everything out ahead of time. Moreso the more competitive a game is, too.

It's almost certainly possible to find a simpler system than the one you've got going/are planning, but simpler tends to mean less interesting and doing less of what you want.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 03:11:24 am »

YES.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:14:05 am by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 03:16:06 am »

I can probably help, but I'd need to know more about exactly what kind of a system you're going for.
I want each summoner type to have different pros and cons when it comes to the way they build their army. Example: necromancers need corpses to make their units and so are slightly restricted in their base unit types, but they have lots of potential mutations and high survivability; perhaps as a SPECIAL when they win a battle a portion of their units lost are returned.

I want the ability for the player to give his existing units upgrades. A divine player can turn his Lesser Angels into Valkyries, for example.

I want the players to be able to war against one another. I don't plan on having a map, and I don't really want a map. The players don't need to have a base, just an army with a large variety of units.

That's all. Ask any more questions you need to and try to take a few liberties with how you interpret my words. I'll help as much as I can! :) It's tough trying to walk that line between complexity and simplicity/accessibility/effort/fun.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:01:17 am »

I want the ability for the player to give his existing units upgrades. A divine player can turn his Lesser Angels into Valkyries, for example.
How about these resources that are used in summoning having a "hidden" value;? Let us go with 1 Mana being 200 - these 200 are the number of stat-points they will "buy". If a Unit has a special ability, this obviously would go into the same pool.
"Energy" - or whatever resource you need to upgrade units - would work the same way, but let us limit it to 125 with wich additional and new stats / skills are bought.

Character-stats like magical potency could act as a multiplier of sorts - talking about single-digit % here, whereas wisdom could put a limit on the number of points you can affect - or rather, act as another multiplier to it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:12:19 am »

How about these resources that are used in summoning having a "hidden" value;? Let us go with 1 Mana being 200 - these 200 are the number of stat-points they will "buy". If a Unit has a special ability, this obviously would go into the same pool.
"Energy" - or whatever resource you need to upgrade units - would work the same way, but let us limit it to 125 with wich additional and new stats / skills are bought.

Character-stats like magical potency could act as a multiplier of sorts - talking about single-digit % here, whereas wisdom could put a limit on the number of points you can affect - or rather, act as another multiplier to it.
Hm. Can you give me some examples for this? Also, how would players gain mana and energy?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:17:27 am »

PTW and probs join later.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:18:09 am »

how do I quantify these resources (favour for the first two and mana for the next two) as well as the lands and structures they have in a way that's fair and balanced? This is always where I hit a wall with complicated games. I hesitate when it comes time for me to turn everything into concrete values. Is it possible for me to just fuck the numbers and the dice and still make a fun game? Is there a simpler way that I can do this using straight dice that still has depth?

Ah, misread the first sentence here. Disregard energy then. Hm.. how about something akin to these stats then;?

Spirit: Increases Maximum Mana / Favour
Wisdom: Gives Bonus to Upgrading
Potency: Gives Bonus to Summoning
Health: Not only the bodily kind - Increases Mana-Regeneration

Depending on what program you use, the Boni could be issued as a simple +1 per point, or even another dice alltogether. The important part is that they directly influence how many points will be gained from the mana/favour.

So, lets take the example of
"Elemental Fire-Duke Th'riwe"
, with presumed 15 starting points and d100 rolls
Spirit: 3 = mana x2
Wisdom: 2 = boni
Potency: 6 = boni
Health: 4 = regeneration 1:1, HP 1:10

Once more;
"Elemental Fire-Duke Th'riwe"
, with presumed 15 starting points and d10 rolls. Mana holds no points in itself - rolls alone decide. Yay!
Wisdom: 2 = Indicator
Potency: 6 = Indicator

Expanding 3 Mana for Lesser Muddies, still 20 points.
Rolling a presumed 5. 5x6 = 30 - x3 = 90. Th'rwive gains 4 Lesser Muddies.
Expanding 3 Mana for Upgrading them, still 15 points.
Rolling a presumed 10. 10x2x3 = 60. We ... upgrade all 4, because we are on a high-roll!
Rerolling a presumed 1. 1x2x3 = 6. Spell fickles, we curse our luck.
As incentive for upgrading, how about we use two more sides for upgrading? There needs to be some bonus to upgrading, else people will only mass-summon weaklings. Actually, the minions Health / Endurance having a dmg-reducing effect could cancel that out...

So yeah, it would be very dice-heavy on results, but them and the stats would decide it. Would keep it somewhat simple thou. Also, calling dibs on Thr'iwe. :P

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:08:19 am »

Made my sheet.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »

"Elemental Fire-Duke Th'riwe", with presumed 15 starting points and d10 rolls. Mana holds no points in itself - rolls alone decide. Yay!
Wisdom: 2 = Indicator
Potency: 6 = Indicator

Expanding 3 Mana for Lesser Muddies, still 20 points.
Rolling a presumed 5. 5x6 = 30 - x3 = 90. Th'rwive gains 4 Lesser Muddies.
Expanding 3 Mana for Upgrading them, still 15 points.
Rolling a presumed 10. 10x2x3 = 60. We ... upgrade all 4, because we are on a high-roll!
Rerolling a presumed 1. 1x2x3 = 6. Spell fickles, we curse our luck.
As incentive for upgrading, how about we use two more sides for upgrading? There needs to be some bonus to upgrading, else people will only mass-summon weaklings. Actually, the minions Health / Endurance having a dmg-reducing effect could cancel that out...
I need to stare at this for a few hours before I can fully digest it. It's a bit tough but I'm sure I'll figure this out. >.>

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:45:07 am »

"Elemental Fire-Duke Th'riwe", with presumed 15 starting points and d10 rolls. Mana holds no points in itself - Rolls and attributes decide. Yay!
Spirit: 3 = Indicator for maximum Mana 1:2*
Wisdom: 2 = Indicator for Upgrades*
Potency: 6 = Indicator for Summons*
Health: 4 = Mana regeneration per turn 1:1*, HP 1:10

Expanding 3 Mana for Lesser Mud-Elementals, Cost 20 points each unit.
D10 - Rolling a 5. 5x6 Potency = 30 - x3 Mana expended = 90. Th'rwive gains 4 Lesser Mud-Elementals.
Expanding 3 Mana for Upgrading them, Cost 15 points each unit.
D10 - Rolling a 10. 10x2 Wisdom x3 Mana expended = 60. We ... upgrade all 4, because we are on a high-roll!
Rerolling a 1. 1x2x3 = 6. Spell fickles, we curse our luck.
I need to stare at this for a few hours before I can fully digest it. It's a bit tough but I'm sure I'll figure this out. >.>

Here is hope you did not start to stare yet. But yeah, an explanation on my part would have been nice. Maybe.  :P
Anyways, now it is in place. Or so I hope ;3

The basic thought beyond the idea is, that our Attributes dictate how well we can summon, what our maximum mana is, how fast we regenerate - and an additional one to make upgrading a different thing. Not truly needed, but I thought it might add something. Actually got the basic idea from that chaos-magical RTD...

Anyways, since I plainly love the random element that dice bring, they - together with the attributes - decide how many "Points" worth one would be able to summon / upgrade. After thinking about it further down, adding bloody sacrifice / strain that damages the body, would also make for a nice mechanic.
Said Points wich are worth the Units total Attributes + Abilities.

Actually, the "Wisdom VS Potency" - or rather "Upgrading VS Summoning" - could add one of those racial differences that you seek. Let us presume that there would be loosely 5 Tiers of strength for the units - Which would bring me to this example;

Divine - Can summon Tier 1-3. Tier 4-5 only through upgrades[/b].
The gods do not hand out their favour lightly, and it is nigh impossible to summon their strongest agents at once. Empowering one to be such is the safer bet.
Unholy - Can summon Tier 1-2 with mana. Tier 3-4 upgrade-able with Mana. Tier 5 is only summonable, and needs the additional sacrifice of health.
[/glow]
Casting forth servants of the lesser gods is not all that a challenge. Empowering them for greater purposes is. But unleashing their highest servants, is a dangerous gamble - and a hazardous bargain.
Necromantic - Can only summon Tier 1 Corpses, and Ghosts of Tier 3. Everything else is upgrades.
A corpse is just that, and can't be raised to be more as that. The Necromancer needs to strengthen them with magic to gain greater effects.
Elemental - Can summon Tier 1-3 with additional sacrifices of health. Upgrades cost only mana.
The Elemental Planes are not easily breached, and the strain of it is not to be underestimated. Luckily, once on this plane, strengthening them is only an act of strength.

As I see it, this setup would force the different races to also play quite differently - at least already with obtaining their armies. The later can obviously also severly influence the gameplay, but that is another story. Anyways; Necromancers are unable to raise mighty armies out of thin air; Servants of the lesser Gods will never sport many Tier 5 Units, or will have difficulties to do so; Elementals will do their utmost to limit their summoning, resulting in somewhat small but elite groups - and lastly the servants of the higher gods will play, well... somewhat "normal". Only that they aren't.

Hmhm. Well, thats as far as my idea goes / my current view on the fluff. Would make sense, at least in my eyes. ;3

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 01:48:58 am »

Sounds interesting. Could you give me some base stats for each sorcerer type?

---

Actual mana system plus separate energy stat for effecting upgrades and possibly using unique spells (which is where players will get the chance to make up some of their own cool stuff):

100 Mana Max   1 Mana=1 Summon   Average +10 Mana each turn
10 Energy Max   3 Energy=1 Upgrade   Average +1 Energy each turn
1 Upgrade=Tier Increase
5 Energy=1 Evolution   Evolution=+2 Tier Increase+custom special ability permanently added to unit type; 40% chance failure; if unit is at maximum tier, creates a new tier

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:48 am »

Spoiler: Konstantin (click to show/hide)

Hey, Gunin, do you already have a plot or backstory or do you need help with the fluff? Cuz I could help with that, if you'd like.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 02:13:10 am »

Hey, Gunin, do you already have a plot or backstory or do you need help with the fluff? Cuz I could help with that, if you'd like.
Just ideas, nothing substantial though. What did you have in mind? PM plox.
Pages: [1] 2 3