Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lords of Summoning [PROTOTYPE]  (Read 5060 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Lords of Summoning [PROTOTYPE]
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 02:24:39 am »

Looks good so far, I dont see any problems that I could help with at the moment, I would probably run a divine summoner
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 03:23:41 am »

Cheesecake is helping me with the unit types as we speak, and I think Escaped Lurker is going to try and help me with the stats for the different summoner types.

In the meantime I was considering a spectator participation mechanic. Cheesecake and I already discussed having Gods in the game to add an extra layer of depth, granting special abilities to be used outside of battle and also generating rivalries, as each God is 'incompatible' specifically with a single other god, and attacking a player with an 'incompatible' God favouring him would bring with it certain consequences, where the Gods themselves become involved in the battle, changing the weather and causing disasters, strengthening your units or instantly evolving the lot of them, or even summoning their own avatars to join the battle personally.

Along with this God mechanic, I was considering a spectator participation whereby the people watching would represent the heavens, and could vote for their favourite character based on their actions and especially their RP, which would grant them favour, blessing them with rewards, or the crowd could root for the underdog, and perhaps turn the tables with their gifts.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 03:31:59 am »

I like this whole idea. However, I'm tired as balls right now and won't have a sheet until an undetermined time frame.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:29 am »

Here's a quick sketch of the chart:

Tier I                             
[Meat-Shields] Flagellants| Cultists                  | Skeletons        | Rockling
[Healer/Buffer]      Clerics| Imp                       | Embalmer         | Dropling
[Leader/DPS]      Devotee| Lesser Demon Whelp| Skeleton Warrior| Gustling

Tier II
[Melee DPS]  Acolytes| Heretics   | Zombies    | Flameling
[Healer/Leader] Priest| Heresiarch| Gravedigger| Sapling
[Leader/Tank]  Knight| Demonling| Ghoul         | Thunderling

Tier III
[Versatile DPS] Footsoldiers| Possessed          | Cannibals    | Boulder Golem
[Healer/Leader]        Bishop| Possessed Leader| Flesh Beast | Water Construct
[Leader/Tank/Healer] Paladin|Demon Champion| Necromancer| Wind Machine

Tier IV
[Versatile DPS] Inquisitors | Demons      | Wights        | Ent
[Healer/Leader] Hierophant| Sorcerer     | Lich            | Thunder Apparition
[Leader/Tank]           Lord | Demon Lord| Death Knight| Fire Elemental

Tier V
[Elite Healer] Angels           | Succubi     | Archlich     | Pure Being
[Elite Leader/Buffer] Prophet| Archlord    | Dreadknight| Chaotic Being
[Elite Boss] God/dess Avatar| Demon God| Death        | The Element

Basically I thought of having resources required for the units to be summoned, ie: Holy Units merely require normal human servants, but are generally very weak. Unholy units require willing servants, but it is harder to find people willing to sell their soul. Undead need dead bodies, and do not require food or sleep, but they will rot away without the attendance of a Necromancer or higher, requiring the player to stay with his units for early game. The Elementals require nothing, but have a low summoning chance and if it fails the backlash is devastating.

I didn't add in the stats and bonuses just yet because I'm not quite sure on how the system works, so if you guys could add that in for me, that would be great.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 07:05:30 am »

Konstantin worked as a private elementalist and studied on various ways of entering the elemental plane. His career ended with the use of his limbs, and they cast him out on the street. He sneaked in back into the lab and used his powers to attach the golem limbs to his body.
Impressive to do with only a single leg limb-wise.

escaped lurker's ideas for the summoning types are good. +1 to those.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 07:12:17 am »

((Oh, um, sorry for offering to help and then vanishing. Looks like you got it, though! :3))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »

Basically I thought of having resources required for the units to be summoned, ie: Holy Units merely require normal human servants, but are generally very weak. Unholy units require willing servants, but it is harder to find people willing to sell their soul. Undead need dead bodies, and do not require food or sleep, but they will rot away without the attendance of a Necromancer or higher, requiring the player to stay with his units for early game. The Elementals require nothing, but have a low summoning chance and if it fails the backlash is devastating.
I don't think we need a separate resource thing. Mana should be enough. I'll think of some other reason for summoners to want to raid villages.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2013, 08:11:10 pm »

I don't think we need a separate resource thing. Mana should be enough. I'll think of some other reason for summoners to want to raid villages.

How about our own base? Having the right equipment would surely ease the process of summoning. As would some ritual chambers dedicated to that. Next, while not every race would need the same, nourishment of some kind needs to be obtained. Speaking of troops, defenses...

Well, then it might turn into some kingdom-builder-kind-of-thing. Your call.

As alternative, rare resources for personel equipment could also do the trick - or better weapons and armour for the troops.

I think Escaped Lurker is going to try and help me with the stats for the different summoner types.

Well, if they have different needs, they ought to put an emphasis on different stuff by themself.

Divine ought to have a good balance of Wisdom (Upgrading) and Potency (Summoning), as they would do both in my "model".

Unholy would have a similiar setup, but with less Wisdom - they would put that into their Health for getting those high-end-units.
Necromancers would obviously have low Potency, and put a lot of their points into Wisdom.
Elementals would put a good deal into Health and Wisdom, as they should feel the need to not stay vulnerably wounded for long.

The other attributes will come down to what the player decides the character should do - will he stay safely behind his troops or castle, venture out on missions with them, or even take the helm in battle? The later characters would vouch more for low mana (Spells in battle need not as much as all those full-blown summoning rituals), greater health, and Potency (Raw Damage) vs Wisdom (Crits and Multicasting) should be left to their own decision.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »

How about our own base? Having the right equipment would surely ease the process of summoning. As would some ritual chambers dedicated to that. Next, while not every race would need the same, nourishment of some kind needs to be obtained. Speaking of troops, defenses...

Well, then it might turn into some kingdom-builder-kind-of-thing. Your call.

As alternative, rare resources for personel equipment could also do the trick - or better weapons and armour for the troops.

I think Escaped Lurker is going to try and help me with the stats for the different summoner types.

Well, if they have different needs, they ought to put an emphasis on different stuff by themself.

Divine ought to have a good balance of Wisdom (Upgrading) and Potency (Summoning), as they would do both in my "model".

Unholy would have a similiar setup, but with less Wisdom - they would put that into their Health for getting those high-end-units.
Necromancers would obviously have low Potency, and put a lot of their points into Wisdom.
Elementals would put a good deal into Health and Wisdom, as they should feel the need to not stay vulnerably wounded for long.

The other attributes will come down to what the player decides the character should do - will he stay safely behind his troops or castle, venture out on missions with them, or even take the helm in battle? The later characters would vouch more for low mana (Spells in battle need not as much as all those full-blown summoning rituals), greater health, and Potency (Raw Damage) vs Wisdom (Crits and Multicasting) should be left to their own decision.
I don't want this to be a kingdom builder. There won't be buildings or a headquarters or anything. Just powerful people wandering around facepunching each other.

I meant for each summoner to have set stats based upon which type they chose, rather than the players allocating points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:26 am »

I need to like compile this or something. I let it sit for a couple days and forgot what I was doing.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 07:16:41 pm »

Not a necro. Because I'm still werkin' on this gents. *does a werkin' dance on keyboard*

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »

Well, when it IS done, reserved and
Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 08:22:40 pm »

Also, what you could do, is come up with a world and then unleash the gods upon it, each with their specific goals. For example, Holy Gods would attempt to progress and purify humanity, Unholy Gods would attempt to decline and sow corruption, while Necromancers want to destroy humanity all together.
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »

Also, what you could do, is come up with a world and then unleash the gods upon it, each with their specific goals. For example, Holy Gods would attempt to progress and purify humanity, Unholy Gods would attempt to decline and sow corruption, while Necromancers want to destroy humanity all together.
Meh I don't really like God games. There's plenty of those around here anyhow. ^-^

But I really do need to read all this stuff again. I completely forgot where I was at with this.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:20 pm »

I'l sign up for when it's done, if that's alright.
Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3