- 0 (0%)
Abandoned?
- 23 (20.5%)
something else?
- 12 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: October 09, 2013, 08:32:40 am

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: How Did Your First Fort Die?  (Read 10241 times)

ranger22550

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Did Your First Fort Die?
« on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:58 am »

Id like to know how people lost the first fort they can remember.
For me i tried to take all my dwarfs to fight a FB with no training, armor, or weapons they killed the beast half the dwarfs were killed so the resulting tantrum spiral killed off the survivors.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Did Your First Fort Die?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 07:23:18 am »

Mass-dehydration.
Next one was mass-starvation.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:48:11 am »

My very first fort ?
I didn't understand how embark was working, nor how to prepare. So I went with 7 dwarves with no particular skills, and no special equipment.
Then it took me a while to get what the hell were supposed to be all those scribbles on my screen.
By the time I get that I had to design plants and wood (and how to), we had almost no more food and booze.
Then I cursed all of them for standing there doing nothing, and watch them die.

For my second fort, I discovered how to prepare, so give them skill points.
7 more dwarves were necessary for me to discover how to actually enable job ingame.
7 more of mass-dehydratation and mass-starvation for my first winter, after spending summer and autumn "gathering" plants, wood, hunting and digging.
7 more to get the concept of 'p'
7 more to get the 'b'->'w' combo
And so on.

I actually killed a lot of dwarves just to learn the very basics. I didn't even knew goblins could attack before my 15th fort I think... they never had the time to come, we always managed to die by ourselves before.

Then I used the wiki (and discovered this place).

My DwarfFortress carreer seems like an endless facepalm :D
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

xeluc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:20:20 am »

My first fort died because I embarked on a purple area (had no clue what terrifying meant).
Well terrifying ended up meaning that a Turkey poult got trampled, reanimated, and began slaughtering the ~50 other Turkeys I had. I became very confused when  a horde of birds began to systematicaly run down and peck to death all of my dwarves. So much blood..
I was thinking, "Hey, how come my dwarves are leading all of my Turkeys out of the Fortress? Are they leading them away from all the murders I keep hearing about? Oh......OHHHHHH....."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 08:24:00 am by xeluc »

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 08:47:49 am »

.. a Turkey poult got trampled..

Hehe.. At least I was genre savvy enough to avoid such places..

However, as for how my few first fortresses died. Well, lack of food or drink. Also tantrum spiral, but they all probably dropped dead before anybody was killed. Oh, and at least one overseer tantrum where all dwarves were dropped into magma..

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 08:50:19 am »

Screwed up my defenses and let a bronze Titan into the fort. Even though I trapped him (I forget how, been a while), the ensuing tantrum spiral from ~1/2 the population dying pretty much killed it.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:52:19 am »

My very first fort?

To put it in one word: abruptly.

I have been reading a tutorial and accidentally left the game running. The first goblin invasion came around before I had a chance of setting up a military. Irony has it that I've been reading a tutorial on how to set up a military at exactly that point.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:13 am »

I've been playing for years and legitimately don't remember how my first fort met its demise. However, if I had to guess, it'd probably be a feature that was removed after the z-axis was introduced: I breached the underground river and occasional torrents of water would catch my dwarves (either on the bridge over the river or in an area dug out to be flooded for farming) and take them downstream where they'd drown. Until I learned to use raised bridges to stop dwarves being knocked off the bridge and into the river, the river killed more of my dwarves than goblins and other living creatures did.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:43 am »

Plenty of water since back then there was always a river on map, but I couldn't figure out how to dig into the cliffside or change dwarf jobs.   

I think I may have designated the cliffside for mining correctly but I think I had also made my miner my woodcutter and he wouldn't mine.  It was so long ago I forget exactly why though.  I would say he was off chopping trees, but I didn't know how to do that either.

With no farm everyone starved.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:58:48 am »

I've been playing for years and legitimately don't remember how my first fort met its demise.

Same here, been playing for so long that I don't remember how my first fort ever met it's demise. Though it was back in 40d.

Probably some sort of noob mistake while figuring the game out.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:11:56 am »

I think the first ambush wiped me out due to no gate, doors, or other defences to keep them out.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:20:07 am »

I don't believe I ever lost my very first fort. I mean, I did lose the save, but not the fort itself.

The first fort that died, on the other hand, did so due to a tantrum spiral. I had embarked in a haunted area, completely unaware of exactly how fun they can be, since it was actually my second fort. The rain only caused blistering and a fever though, so I lucked out, even though everything would grind to a halt every time it rained because everyone who was outside would go straight to the hospital to lie down.

There was a waterfall on this embark that split into two rivers, and I had read that waterfalls could give positive thoughts, so I built the fort hugging the inside of the waterfall, thinking that it would counteract the rain. I was wrong. Saw a tantrumming dwarf swim up the waterfall and punch the mayor in the face as he sat in his office.

There had been the occasional death, I lost a few dwarves who were stupid enough to be standing on the river when it thawed. That once happened to the elven caravan, too. T'was glorious. And I had lost a few who were sent to cap the open space next to the waterfall, to keep the muck away from the fort entrance, not understanding that bridges can't support constructions. But the main cause of the spiral was when an ambush of goblins had ripped apart my militia and killed all the pastured animals.

I still don't know how a handful of goblins could take out a full militia of trained dwarves who punted ogres around for fun.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 09:21:24 am »

I still don't know how a handful of goblins could take out a full militia of trained dwarves who punted ogres around for fun.

Lightsabers.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:29 am »

Lightsabers.

Must have been an entire squad of them then, I don't remember the goblins taking a single loss until I ran across one of them personally in adventure mode and choked his green ass out.

An FB also found it's way into the fort. Must have been in the caverns, still undiscovered when the fort fell. I don't remember what it was, but I killed it by throwing a minecart at it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:04 am »

You know, you should have FPS death as an option there because I've lost a few forts to FPS issues.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6