Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tadin, the hidden one  (Read 1902 times)

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tadin, the hidden one
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:43:12 pm »

A few days ago, I was managing my fortress... everything was calm and quiet, my dwarves had just finished cleaning up the annual goblin siege, when suddenly, a curious message appeared in the announcements:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Which is really strange, because there aren't any humans on the map. I looked trough the unit lists with DFhack, but the search turned up nothing.
So, who's this guy? And where can I found him?

(I would like to declare that my game is vanilla, I'm using DFhack for it's search option, so I'm playing the game fairly.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tadin, the hidden one
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:36 pm »

Might be a werebeast that is sneaking but is in untransformed mode?

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »

Nah, no werebeasts here. :(

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »

I said it's sneaking, but yeah it wouldn't be sneaking for long.

Maybe make a copy of the save (save it first) and then abandon the fort on the copied save and try to look in legends? I know there would be lots of humans with that first name, but at least you can narrow it down to those who are more recent. Also, were there any humans in the siege?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:36:23 pm »

It might be possible that you are being ambushed by a goblin squad, and the leader of said goblin squad was a snatched human child. Only explanation I can come up with.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:46:53 pm »

It might be possible that you are being ambushed by a goblin squad, and the leader of said goblin squad was a snatched human child. Only explanation I can come up with.

Perhaps one with the same bug where migrant children arrive with ages that are actually teen or adult?

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 05:34:59 pm »

Quote from: acetech09
I don't think so, military is adult-only.

Also, were there any humans in the siege?
No, gobbos only, and I'm at peace with humans.

I said it's sneaking, but yeah it wouldn't be sneaking for long.

Hmm... wait a sec. Is it possible for a werebeast to spawn in the caverns, especially in the caves that hasn't breached yet? Perhabs your theory about the werecreature is correct, I suppose there's one somwhere down below, who spawned as a children (if that's even possible, of couse).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:31 pm »

Hmm... wait a sec. Is it possible for a werebeast to spawn in the caverns, especially in the caves that hasn't breached yet? Perhabs your theory about the werecreature is correct, I suppose there's one somwhere down below, who spawned as a children (if that's even possible, of couse).

Seems just as likely as a child being sent in an ambush... which is to say, both sound like bugs but there are no other reasonable explanations.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 06:29:56 pm »

But I just reread the OP - you just got sieged. So probably not an ambush.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:32:54 pm »

children can definitely be werebeasts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »

If it was a werebeast, it wouldn't be long before it revealed itself. Does anybody know if a werebeast transforms while still sneaking, the sneak automatically breaks?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:22 pm »

If it was a werebeast, it wouldn't be long before it revealed itself. Does anybody know if a werebeast transforms while still sneaking, the sneak automatically breaks?

The sneak doesn't break until the creature is seen. The werebeast will withdraw if it transforms back, but if one of your dwarves sees it after it transforms back, you will get a message "The human ..... has come!".
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »

The sneak doesn't break until the creature is seen. The werebeast will withdraw if it transforms back, but if one of your dwarves sees it after it transforms back, you will get a message "The human ..... has come!".

Okay, wasn't sure how exactly it worked with the werebeasts transformation.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:15 pm »

Okay, wasn't sure how exactly it worked with the werebeasts transformation.

The moon stays full for a short while in the game, and if you have any werebeast citizens they will transform during that time and go on a rampage.

The werebeast attacks from outside your fortress involve the creature rushing into the map in werebeast form, where it will try to do as much damage as possible until it transforms back. It will then try to flee your map. If you have a fortress in the centre of a large map, the werebeast may not be able to make it there before transforming. In fact, normal sized maps have this as well, which is why so many people report strange "The human has arrived!" messages.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.