- 0 (0%)
Abandoned?
- 23 (20.5%)
something else?
- 12 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: October 09, 2013, 08:32:40 am

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How Did Your First Fort Die?  (Read 10242 times)

neverdreamalone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Did Your First Fort Die?
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2013, 04:35:51 am »

I'm afraid i had to go for something else. I survived the goblins, I survived the mega-beats and forgotten beasts, but it was the bloody nobles that got me. I'd produced tons of crafts (mostly rings and bracelets) for export; all of them were encrusted with gems and of masterwork quality.

So the dwarven caravan arrives and all the rings and bracelets come up purple on the trade screen. Hello what's this? Ban on exports? F**k that! I'll just sell them anyway!

I didn't have a jail, or hammerer, so my military were then ordered to do some punishing by my countess.....

THE END

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2013, 07:11:30 am »

The first "fort" wasn't actually a fort, it was just wrestling with the interface and losing. It was one of the .31 versions, i believe, and it couldn't properly read my german keyboard, so going up and down z-levels took a lot of hunting for the right key. And i hadn't worked out that you can scroll down in the build menu, so couldn't build anything past farm plots. Since that excluded all workshops, it also meant i couldn't build most of the things _up to_ farm plots, either.

The dwarfs just stood around, mined out a few tiles of visible rock, smoothed a few tiles of exposed rock and eventually went insane from starvation.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2013, 10:51:35 am »

I abandoned my first fort just now. After a few years of playing, stopping and replaying, it has finally fallen.

Chaos reigns. The goblins swooped down with axemen of great skill and a master thief. They caught a lot of my civilians off-guard before my men could marshall and even if they did, my men didn't have weapons beyond crossbows and knives. My walls were up, but I had no way to keep civilians in and enemies out as the gates were apparently unbuildable due to me making a rock salt walkway over the entrances for archers to stand on.

The goblins died, all save two. But my dwarves savagely turned on one another. Nothing was getting done, everyone was attacking each other... I was experiencing a tantrum spiral, I knew the signs. I knew that it couldn't be saved beyond that point.

So I abandoned. At least then, perhaps some of my beloved dwarves will make it back to civilization to come as migrants to my new fort. My only regret is that I left behind stacks and stacks of platinum and gold bars. The goblins know nothing of precious metals, thankfully, so a human adventurer or reclamation attempt might be able to bring such riches back to the Mountainhomes.

Well, not my only regret. I loved my dwarves, particularly my original ones.

Goddamn goblins... You took Rimtar Asastulon... And for that, come next patch...

I WILL TAKE YOUR RACE. I WILL TEAR DOWN YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS AND CRUSH YOU BENEATH MY FURY.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

NotaPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2013, 11:32:20 am »

In my first, real fort that I've played, my dwarves were basically fat arse hill dwarves milling about on the surface with all the food and booze they needed, except there were absolutely no defenses to speak of.

I created my first military of a few dwarves armed with nothing but their civilian clothing, and watched them beat up a tick man. I felt superior.

Then the giant grey languars came and I was like, "lul no get out of here."

my little militia was murdered shortly after the kill order was made.

But that wasn't the end, no. The end came when a goblin ambush came and slaughtered just about everyone save for a legendary miner, who smashed his pick into a offending gobbo in the face before huddling with another dwarf inside a room, slowly dying of thirst as the goblins milled about outside.

I abandoned before I could watch them die.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »

first winter I didn't have a still set up and the river froze over

I technically survived until the winter finished but the tantrum spiral had already started when spring broke and I was done for.

confession time: ive actually never made it past the second caverns. I keep doing fun things like trying to drain an aquifer into the first caverns without properly walling off my staircase that goes through the caverns
also fuck metamorphic intrusive rock.
I don't bite.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »

My first fort was embarked in the middle of an unremarkable swamp back in 40d... As with many others my dwarves suffered from apathy, or to be more accurate they couldn't get underground because I didn't understand that a vertical stair consists of two parts, a down stair AND an up stair.

That was abandoned (I can't remember if anyone died before I gave in, but they were on their way out at least). I think I had a slightly more successful fort next which was abandoned for some forgotten reason.

The first game I really remember was the third fort, embarked in a broadleaf rainforest. We had set up some basic living quarters in the steep rock salt hillside (a corridor and some small rooms, workshops and a larder), but had been putting up with rhesus maque thefts, which I had conscripted my woodcutter to deal with. Then suddenly I started receiving loads of job cancellations, but not about the maques. Gorillas! They had invaded the inside of the small tunnel and were mercilessly beating my dwarves to a pulp. One tried to hide in the food store, but the gorillas were led to him by his last surving companion, terrified and fleeing blindly into the dead end.

That was the first time I saw the words "Your fortress has crumbled to its end". I was like  :o. Awesome. Anyone ever see the film "Congo"?. Terrible film, but gave me some good mental imagery for this moment.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:54 pm »

Starvation.  I remember my first few games desperately awaiting the first caravan so I could buy food.  Now I sell the first caravan lavish meals, so I'm not quite sure what happened.  Once I figured out food production, I'd get wiped out by the first goblin ambush or invasion.  I remember my most funny one, I build this huge defensive wall and moat and a huge field of stone traps in front of my cave entrance, but then the goblins just came down from the top of the mountain.  Once I gave up on digging into mountain sides and started building my forts on flat lands, I find defense a lot easier.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »

My very very first fort died the fairly typical noob death of winter-time dehydration after the booze ran out and the ponds froze.  I was having so much fun carving out little rooms in a chert outcropping that I didn't notice that anything else needed to be done.  Before I knew it, there were blue arrows everywhere and shortly after that, "Urist McThirsty has died of thirst".

Very few other forts of mine have actually died, since I usually get bored with them or savescum to before the fatal mistake.  The last death I had was in a haunted tundra with huskifying blighted soot.  Everything was fine until...

"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »

Lack of sanity. I think the fun started with a large amount of death due to me deciding I could try and train dralthas. Without me knowing the first thing about how you train animals. Oooooopsie.  :P
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:31 pm »

My first actual fort death happened back in 40.  Sinister biome, I think. Thought I could handle a few animal skeletons.  Got harpies and beak dogs, and an ogre or troll, if i recall rightly.  It neither lasted long nor ended well.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2013, 02:06:24 am »

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2013, 05:01:31 am »

Clowns. I couldn't resist the candy and before I knew it I lost.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2013, 06:44:22 am »

Rhesus macaques.

Oh lord, Rhesus macaques.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:21 am »

everyone starved to death while I was trying to wrap my head around the ascii

I went into the game knowing virtually nothing about it other than what was listed on the site's "features" page
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:35:07 am by twentytentacles »

cue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »

Uhh, well, it didn't. I just decided I wanted to play on a mountain instead of a hill. The first fort I had that did die was from a Titan who came to visit. I had all these awesome traps setup to kill anything that showed up, but it turns out that putting the switches to your bridges right next to the bridge is actually a bad idea.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6