Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Surface City....  (Read 5922 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surface City....
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:23:34 am »

I remember building a roman legionaire camp fort (wooden walls wooden structures and wooden gates).
Storerooms weren't really that much of a problem because i made basements in the soil.

All in all making a hill dwarf fort is a fun experience.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 10:06:41 am »

Things are going..slowly.  Had to buy wood from the last few caravans as nobody seems to want to chop down the trees.  Also had to switch on some labors in a few of the Surface Dwellers.  Needed more wood burners, as the demand for ash, charcoal, and such has sky rocketed.   :-\

I wanted more miners so decided to turn a few wax workers and hunters into miners by switching off some labors and turning on mining.  I also hope this will turn a few of the lower class wives and husbands into well mannered wives and husbands for the Stone Class.  I have a ton of beds in storage, so it will be easy to put them in the already dug bedrooms.  Should open some outside bedrooms for the next wave of smelly peasants also!  :P

Something happened and now we have a Mayor and a Captain of the Guard.  As the last Sheriff is also my Militia Commander, I turned his wife into the Captain of the Guard, so now they have TWO high class apartments between themselves and his wife, who use to be lower class, is now a member of the Upper Crust!   :D

End result - Things still normal, all Dwarfed up. 

But NOT boring!   8)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »

The good news with .34 compared to .31 at least is that most immigrants are married, so you usually don't have to build quite as many houses as in previous versions.

That's bad news.  It means people who are Middle Class are living with Lower Class wives and husbands.  :D

You could just kill one of them.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:04 pm »

The good news with .34 compared to .31 at least is that most immigrants are married, so you usually don't have to build quite as many houses as in previous versions.

That's bad news.  It means people who are Middle Class are living with Lower Class wives and husbands.  :D

You could just kill one of them.

Too many of them.  Every party seems to be a marriage between a well placed person of wealth and taste and a commoner.  It is almost like they are marrying people they fall in LOVE with!   Can you believe it?   :o  A marriage based on LOVE!  Oh, the horror!  What is this world coming to when a wedding is not planed on society standing!   :'(

I hope to slowly straighten things out.  A lot of the people who go insane, so far, happen to be one of a married couples (not sure if that is somehow related - not married) and this allows me to adjust living and dining assignments.   8)

"So sorry, but your husband, the engineer, is dead.  So sorry for your loss but you ARE a farmer.  You are being moved from you nice, warm apartment with the smooth walls and cabinet to this small hut.  With three other couples.  You can eat in the diner if one of the four tables are open.  Or out here in the muddy fields.  What?  Oh, the missing wall?  It's on the job list.  Enjoy!" 

I happen to have picked a region with a heavy to medium rain fall also.  So a lot of Dwarfs are getting wet.  Everything is getting wet.  But trees seem to grow back REALLY fast.  Which is good.   :D

I hope, by assigning the skilled and middle class to dining areas away from the others to get the single Dwarfs to marry within their class and I HOPE that future offspring will also marry according to their status.  I hope.  Not sure how marriage works...I know it is linked to friendship.   :-\

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »

Would you like to post some screenshots, maybe using stonesense?
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »

Would you like to post some screenshots, maybe using stonesense?

Sure.  But I don't feel Stonesense is showing how depressing the outside is.  The half-built houses that look like lean tos, the cold winters with the snow on the ground, the work shops pumping smoke into the air as they create fuel for the smiths, the cramped diner, the farmer's fields....must be a sight when a Dwarf first shows up and gets assigned a bed.  The half built walls and small herd of sheep.  :)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »

Of course, first I give you the stats.   

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now for the first thing a approaching new citizen or trader or invader would see...

The structure with the mostly wooden roof is the diner.  Four tables and four chairs.  Dirt floor.  Serve yourself!
Each house, if I could use that word, is totally filled, from wall to wall, with beds.
The tall grass and bushes makes it hard to see the fields.  The workshops are clustered around the pool of water.
The windmill has yet to be linked to the millstones.  The gears and everything else have been set up - just waiting for the millstones!
Turned the angle so you could see the sheep.  Pigs and chickens have been moved inside.  The well is a popular spot - I made it after I noticed that winter did FREEZE  everything.    You will notice beds in the pig pen for those who don't have outside housing.

Above this level is three levels of storage.

Now we go deeper into the Fortress.
Bedrooms, most smoothed out with cabinets.  Dining room, with each table assigned to a individual or couple, with a new dining area being set up.  A few workshops, but not too many on this floor.  Wanted to keep it nice and peaceful.

Deeper still we get to the offices of those who think and plan and decide the future of the Fortress!
All of the apartments, in the end, will be smoothed out and engraved.  A few cages with animals have been placed in a few of the rooms.  More apartments will be dug out before I start getting the REAL nobles, of course.

I have not bothered to show the barracks, the jail, the hospital, the work on the grand hall, the mining network...you have all seen those before!

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2013, 03:36:29 pm »

My Stonesense is unintentionally modded to have no bushes... ::) (I'll have to work on that one)
Anyway, that makes a great slums feeling. ;)
My troubleshooting: If a builder gets bugged and suspends the job, your best bet is to delete the issued wall and to place it back rather than just unsuspending. Also, I think you should have at least three builders, if not more.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2013, 04:02:11 pm »

My Stonesense is unintentionally modded to have no bushes... ::) (I'll have to work on that one)
My troubleshooting: If a builder gets bugged and suspends the job, your best bet is to delete the issued wall and to place it back rather than just unsuspending. Also, I think you should have at least three builders, if not more.

Thanks.  I tired that a couple of times and I think I just have too many jobs waiting for them.

How do I increase the builders?  It's not a profession.  Masonry?

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 04:33:46 pm »

Thanks.  I tired that a couple of times and I think I just have too many jobs waiting for them.

How do I increase the builders?  It's not a profession.  Masonry?
The job for building constructions is based on the material involved - carpentry for wood, masonry for stone, etc.
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 05:00:37 pm »

I see, so I need more stoneworkers.   Well, just had a new wave of Dwarfs, so it should be easy to pick a few out of the lower class.   ???

Just have to pick a few from the married couples who already have scum...I mean wives and husbands who would like to be uplifted into high society.   :D

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 06:02:50 pm »

Carried out a combination of redoing the wall and ceiling lay outs and giving some people some masonry and stone working skills (following your guys advice).  The walls have gone up much faster.  Now just need a few more doors.  And maybe will be able to house much of the surface populace on the surface!  than can get serious about the protective walls, the grand hall, and a few other projects.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

When building outdoor constructs I generally keep 5 or so masons on full-time duty in the mason workshops, which are set to accept novice masons or higher. All mason shops have rock blocks set to be made repeatedly.

All the useless wood burner and cheesemaker migrants who would be standing around (who I usually custom-name as haulers for a profession) get enlisted as dabbling masons to haul blocks around and build crap, while the actual good masons keep the block stocks supplied. Results in having floods of 30 to 40 dorfs at once scrabbling to put up a wall or build a floor, with no lack of building material (usually).

Building is going to take time, sure, but the more dorfs you have the more potential dorfpower you have to build with, and that can speed up the process considerably.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 10:38:22 am »

And now I have trapped the vampire and made him into my UNDEAD book keeper! 

BUWAHAHAHAHAH!

And I thought I was being very smart but somebody pointed out once his cloths rot he will go insane.  Sad really.  :(

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:42 am »

Just make some clothing sets and take them to his enclosure; you could, say, drop them from above. Also, you could add some nice furniture to look at, what about windows? Nothing better than sunlinght for the undead. You could have him bound to a very nice chain, too.

Pages: 1 [2] 3