Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 225272 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1560 on: September 23, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »

Why not just add some form of structural integrity?  Just adding that with engines enacting forces based on where they are at would be enough in my eyes.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: September 24, 2017, 02:11:43 am »

Well, the best way to phrase what I want right now in a space game is... I want to, after destroying an enemy ship, to be able to weld it to my own or cut off parts of it for my own purposes. Space Engineers can do that (albeit with some caveats- merge blocks require power, etc), but there's not much of a point because everything that ship has you can have as well due to a lack of any difference between part accessibility (no "better engine" that you can't craft yet or anything like that). If there's any other space game where this is both a possibility and has some actual tangible benefits, then I'd probably go and play it immediately. I'm sure it's possible to add some sort of progression to Space Engineers through modding, but I currently do not know of any such mods. I also doubt that there exist enough ships that use that mod that can be spawned in so that there's anything to actually encounter.

Yep, the only reason I play Space Engineers is due to the crazy amount of freedom when building, and how the physics interacts with it all.
It's a shame there's no progression, unless you count getting enough mats for a gravity drive as progression.
Mods help it a lot, but doesn't fix the clunkyness or grief-yness of the game -SE is by far the most frustrating game I've ever played. Things can, at any time, spontaneously explode.

But damn, killing an enemy ship's engines and watching it crash its face on an asteroid is great. And so is the rain of metal when 5+ enemy drones attack the base and get shredded by gatling turrets.

There's a mod that adds tiered thrusters (higher tiers cost more Gold [Superconductor Components]) and one that adds more weapons, which are more expensive to 'feed' than vanilla weapons and are a bit cooler. Other than that, I can't think of anything that resembles progression.
And it's also sad there aren't packs (yet) with ships using such mods.

In the end, I'm having with with it because I always wanted a game that lets me board ships, capture them, and do whatever I want with them. Some I repurpose, most I simply grind. And I can't explain why I feel so satisfied by it.  :P

Once I'm done with that, though, it's definitely too shallow, even with 50+ mods.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 25, 2017, 11:19:19 am »

Just a heads up that Empyrion UI was improved. It's definitely worth a try to anyone who enjoys Space Engineers. It lacks the physics and the complexity atm, however, but at least the physics won't grief you to death like SE does.

3 button block placement is gawdawful. Having to change the axis and then spin on that axis is the absolute worst interface. You have a 100+ key keyboard. Use it, devs.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: October 02, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »

There was a 2d top down game that let you slice up other ships and add them to your own

Can't remember the name of it though

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: October 02, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »

Okay, so, Im wondering: Would it be theoretically possible to crack a planet? (Or at least, create something that would make it seem lkike its cracking?)

My theoreum is basically building a massive MAC cannon and boring a large hole until you hit the planets lowermost layer, then making a grid of nuclear warheads underneath

Me and a friend had a program where if a nuclear warhead was detonated at the lowermost layer, the planet would become deleted/inaccessible, which was kinda cool, but was too sudden and "non-explody" that it was kind of a letdown
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: October 02, 2017, 03:12:18 pm »

Probably wouldn't work, as things get very glitchy if you go deep enough under a planet. Also, a lot of explosives on a lot of voxels will almost certainly crash the game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: October 03, 2017, 12:12:34 am »

There was a 2d top down game that let you slice up other ships and add them to your own

Captain Forever?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: October 03, 2017, 01:14:41 am »

Seem to recall one by the name of Void Hunters that fits that description.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: October 03, 2017, 11:30:04 am »

Seem to recall one by the name of Void Hunters that fits that description.

Aye that game was awesome, and simple, and great. Too bad the site's dead.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:47 pm »

Celestial Command, although they've unlocked the camera from top down and its 3d graphics on a 2d plane.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: October 07, 2017, 10:32:50 am »

Has anyone built anything with the new half blocks? They seem kind of limiting, since they take up a whole grid of space still... it's a bit odd. You can make thinner hulls I guess, but you can't do better things like half-height deck flooring can you?

Did they make them half the mass and materials of the full blocks, or did they do something goofy?

EDIT: Well I started the game long enough to check - surprisingly the half-armor blocks do only take 1/2 the resources.  Is it bad that I am actually surprised by that?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:51:16 am by McTraveller »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: October 07, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »

Check if they fixed the issue where the half-blocks have a full-block hitbox.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: October 08, 2017, 12:25:07 pm »

Check if they fixed the issue where the half-blocks have a full-block hitbox.
That is so crazy I had to check.  Looks like they fixed it, at least for just the simple full half-block and the engineer. I didn't stay on long enough to see if it was for arbitrary collisions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 18, 2017, 05:45:32 am »

They just released a major update that claims to have killed Klang, that rotors and pistons are no longer chaos bombs.

They also removed safety lock on rotors. And increased laser antenna range to 200km.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 18, 2017, 01:31:24 pm »

that rotors and pistons are no longer chaos bombs.

Challenge Fucking Accepted.
Īlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 114