Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 225443 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1635 on: March 01, 2019, 10:37:25 am »

Played for a few hours yesterday.

You start with a drop pod (which has atmo thrusters for some reason, but you can't turn them on as you fall because you're in a passenger seat) that eventually deploys a parachute and if you're lucky doesn't land upside down - which is a huge pain because it happened to me the first attempt and couldn't access the oxygen thingamabob.

If all goes well, you have a full battery and a "survival kit" which is a sort of mini stone refinery and assembler that can only do basic stuff, mostly iron. Also, refining stone gives small amounts of ingots, which you'll need to make:

A basic refinery and basic assembler, that need to be built on a large grid (drop pod is small grid). You can power those with wind turbines on Earth. Probably close to wherever you made the hole where you're getting your stone from... you can't build a battery yet, because:

There's a tech tree. The only prerequisite for being able to build something is that you have to build the thing that comes before. So, to unlock wheels and cockpits and such you have to make a landing gear first, and so on. If you disassemble something that you don't know how to build, you can't put it back in.

That's as far as I got, anyway. It was sorta fun to start small for once instead of just disassembling the huge landing ship that you used to start with.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 01, 2019, 10:56:53 am »

One thing I didn't do was try that scenario. I ran through most of the "campaign", however, and it's really setting off my hoarding instincts. So much shit. So many tools you can't use because why would you need fifteen hand welders and eight rifles. Snagged a couple hundred uranium ingots because "what if I need them later" despite it being the antepenultimate mission.

The whole drone bit in the final area of the moon landing mission has been improved as well. Still not much to do, but the drones performed wonderfully. Except for the "occasionally crashes into the ground" bit, I suppose.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 01, 2019, 06:43:42 pm »

BTW, I played the typical Solar System custom game. I haven't tried scenarios except the "learn to survive" which is pretty basic.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 03, 2019, 06:24:14 pm »

Wow, game seems to have improved decently. I always stopped playing due to bumping into certain bugs or bizarre issues and always gave up, came back 3 months later only to bump on them again. Right now I haven't noticed any major issues, and building a little moon base with a station 3km over it doesn't utterly RIPs my FPS like it did some time ago.

I cannot play without Easy Inventory mod, Twin Grinders/Welders, Nanobot Build and Repair System and Taladen Inventory Manager script if I want to get anything else done on singleplayer without taking my whole week, though.
But even combat with AI ships felt passable. I started a "start from zero" playthrough with only that moon pod buggy, and once a Mining Carriage appeared in orbit I flew there with nothing but my jetpack and a grinder. A couple quickloads later I had a large ship and retrofitted it with Twin Grinders, more engines and more guns. It has 4 Twin Grinders and 4 Landing Gears in front, so I can just grab unsuspecting ships and throw them at a meteor while raining gun fire at them, and later I can grind them down on the spot. Or just disable it, grind it right there, dump the components at base, and repeat.

Twin Grinders is too OP so I keep them off on combat however, but honestly atm I cannot be bothered to build a grinding wall or whatever. I don't know why the idea of grabbing innocent ships, disabling their engines and throwing them at planets on 300m/s+ is so enjoyable to me.

I might try the campaign eventually, but I'm really looking forward to playing with the Exploration Enhancement Mod again, and stealing every design and throwing them into their own stations.

EDIT: After posting this I remembered that completely disabling all engines of a vessel and flying too far from it will despawn it, as unowned/AI objects without control get despawned very quickly (similarly to KSP if I remember correctly). So I guess I gotta keep a single engine on'em when throwing them around.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 09:18:15 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: April 04, 2019, 03:42:49 am »

I loaded an old save from what feels like a year ago, and am wondering if that world is broken in some way because of the update. I never left earth and still had the starting ship, but are there new enemies that won't spawn once I leave earth? Any new map features I should start over for?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: April 08, 2019, 04:29:07 pm »

Welp, they've gone and released a Decorative Blocks DLC. Apparently, people who don't have it can play on servers that do, but they won't be able to build or interact with the DLC blocks.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: April 08, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »

The objects are cool, there are some mods that add some (and maybe all) of those, but most of those mods have complaints of serious issues with crashing and save corruption. Even nice that they added a couple of new cockpits, which was a very successful mod.

A bit weird decision to release it as DLC, but I guess the game has been out forever and was on sale a bunch of times for very very low price.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: April 08, 2019, 05:49:50 pm »

Welp, they've gone and released a Decorative Blocks DLC. Apparently, people who don't have it can play on servers that do, but they won't be able to build or interact with the DLC blocks.

So for extra security on my spaceships, use DLC stuff. Got it.

(I'm being facetious I am sorry)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: April 08, 2019, 06:12:55 pm »

DLC actually looks pretty solid overall.  The models look great, the blocks are very visually distinct, and unless the industrial cockpit has outrageous durability I don't see any way that it could be pay-to-win.  The price point is pretty much dead-on too, $3.99?  Nice.  I think I'll buy it sometime in the future.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: April 08, 2019, 07:30:30 pm »

I bought it. Wanna support them, and it's a tiny price tag to do so in a game I've gotten wayyyyyy more than 20$ entertainment value out of.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: April 09, 2019, 04:45:58 am »

The cockpit reminds me some of the "lander can" in KSP; might be useful if you're playing first-person only.
Everything else is nice stuff to put in living quarters. Not strictly necessary, but it feels strange to build a ship without anywhere to sleep.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1646 on: April 09, 2019, 08:10:04 am »

That is a legit point. If I build something out of DLC blocks is it now immune to plebs who can't afford the DLC?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: April 09, 2019, 08:30:34 am »

That is a legit point. If I build something out of DLC blocks is it now immune to plebs who can't afford the DLC?

Give it six months and we'll have Microtransaction Missile Launchers that scale damage with cost firing at Season Pass Heavy Armor.

Pay ten Spacebuckcrystals to instantly charge jump drives.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:32:49 am by Trekkin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1648 on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:59 am »

Give it six months and we'll have Microtransaction Missile Launchers that scale damage with cost firing at Season Pass Heavy Armor.

Pay ten Spacebuckcrystals to instantly charge jump drives.
Begun, the coin wars have.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: April 09, 2019, 10:46:51 am »

The logical explanation would be "interact means make the block do the thing it's supposed to do", like moving a piston or opening up a wheel's menu and fucking with its settings.

But this is PC gaming and logical thinking has bitten me in the ass before. Maybe a ship made of DLC doors will be impervious to pleb rockets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 114