Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 225263 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1680 on: January 08, 2020, 08:37:57 am »

I'm back in this as well, because of the economy, the survival and a set of mod that make the pve interesting coming all together.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: January 21, 2020, 02:58:43 pm »

after having put the hours in, this game still feels a very crude tech demo

ship building is very limited. rotors and pistons have loads of issues, phantom forces dominate the simulation and anything moveable is a liability on any build. no wonder the workshop lacks interesting mechanical things! that and of course the fact that projectors still can't understand pistons and rotors, making testing stuff and porting it into survival an exercise in frustration, and even when something looks like it should work there are the dozen unimplemented things or odd bugs to hamper your progress (like, wheel sidewall has no friction, so if you are in a v that's more than 10 degree per side you have zero traction to move forward)

nothing says more "engineering" than having to build stuff out of trial and error!

there are odd design choices everywhere - 1x1 wheel don't reach ground, 3x3 wheel have 0.5 meter ground clearance, 5x5 wheel? still 0.5m clearance because the suspension is twice as big. there's no way to automate the simplest thing, like having a rotor increase at specific increments or rotate at a specific speed on command, without having to write programs in their clunky editor; everyone max speed is the same, making the jetpack the most convenient mode of transport.

and then there's stuff that's so simplified you'd expect to get it into some cheap arcade space shooter, like off center thrusters not giving torque to the ship, mass placement being irrelevant and capricious restrictions on which block can go where

I see the appeal of smashing large ship one into another and maybe of large multiplayer combat, but the survival experience has been quite underwhelming, even after putting in some mods to make the planets more alive and interesting, you have no reason to build advanced vehicles unless for shit and giggles.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 21, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »

Preeeeeeeeety much. It still has the best block building out of most games like it. 6 keys to go back and forth through rotations along 3 axis. Mind blowing that more don't use it. Early game is mostly fine but then you hit the middle and end game with not much to do. Myself and a few others wander the workshop to find real scenarios.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: January 21, 2020, 10:42:08 pm »

I'm playing solo, and was midway thru building a huge "generational" ship (at this point it was just 3 rings covered by a bunch of artificial gravity generators)... then I started building some rooms and apparently exceeded the 100,000 PCU limit or something because it got glitchy as hell and walk-through and even the mouse doesn't see the existing blocks when I want to put new ones next to those.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: January 22, 2020, 07:27:03 am »

Mind blowing that more don't use it.

idk, empyrion, from the depths and stormworks all have a six key rotation systems, of all I know only starmade is the outlier with the rotation on the mouse wheel

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: January 22, 2020, 01:50:58 pm »

You can remove the block limit. I always do.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 22, 2020, 02:26:42 pm »

Mind blowing that more don't use it.

idk, empyrion, from the depths and stormworks all have a six key rotation systems, of all I know only starmade is the outlier with the rotation on the mouse wheel

Empyrion is still on three or four keys, or did that change? You have to individually change rotation axes and then you can rotate along a single axis.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 23, 2020, 11:56:25 am »

You can remove the block limit. I always do.

I already removed the limit option, this is some sort of performance limit, seems after 100k it just sucks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 03, 2022, 02:40:18 pm »

Geesh this thread hasn't seen daylight for a while..

Pretty big update released today, focussing on combat and quality of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNhKwBnckeM
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 03, 2022, 03:15:06 pm »

That was a pretty cool trailer.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 03, 2022, 05:38:53 pm »

Oh hey, they just copy/pasted the "It's not pay2win! Really!" disclaimer from one of their other DLCs. Didn't even change the DLC mentioned in the disclaimer.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 03, 2022, 05:58:56 pm »

But it's not a DLC it's a free update
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 03, 2022, 09:12:36 pm »

Alongside of said free update is a new DLC.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 04, 2022, 06:50:31 pm »

It's an update required to patch in the paid DLC. With the way their multiplayer and DLC works this is the DLC but paywalled until you or someone hosting buys the DLC. DLC content is available to nonbuyers if someone else builds it.

It's nice they added the turret controller for the free portion or people might have rioted. The blowback would have been real nasty.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 04, 2022, 07:16:22 pm »

The things in the DLC are cosmetic variants of free things. All the new guns in the videos are part of the free update.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114