Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 143048 times)

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1710 on: April 17, 2019, 04:50:55 pm »

About your miner, you can have problems like this if you do not cover the "front" (whatever direction you mine toward) with drills and advance too quickly (or have high ping on a server) : a little bit of rock will be missed by the drills, and damage everything in its path, while you move your miner with the "voxel" inside your ship.

Or, if you're more of a newbie, maybe you didn't account for thruster damage ? Is there a thruster near your cargo with its "flame" end toward the cargo ?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 18, 2019, 01:14:37 am »

Sounds like debris is somehow getting in there. Most of the time ores just stay in the drills on my miners, how do you have it set up?

There are 5 miner drills in an X formation

XOX
CXC
XOX

The storage container getting damaged is right behind the middle drill.There are conveyor blocks at the C's.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 18, 2019, 03:18:54 am »

Do you have a gravity generator sucking in loose ore?

Having gaps in a large ship drill wall is a problem (absent spinning and other cleverness, at least), but it's weird that you're not seeing damage to the conveyors too, so I'd be inclined to assume debris hitting the container from the side. Maybe through whatever those Os are.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 18, 2019, 11:16:05 am »

Even small drills can only have a small 1-cube gap between them. Leaving enough space for a drill will let voxels crash into the ship.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:01 pm »

I haven't played Space Engineers in a while... have they fixed it so it is more engineering now?  Or did it continue down the path of non-engineering?

By that I mean - is construction now internally consistent in terms of mass / density? Can you now make a lower-powered motor by using less materials in a pinch, making it an actual engineering trade-off between cost / capability?

I mean, it's a great space-oriented building game, but I was sad that they started moving farther from engineering.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1715 on: April 22, 2019, 11:59:12 pm »

Nope. You want Children of a Dead Earth.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 23, 2019, 12:23:49 pm »

Do you have a gravity generator sucking in loose ore?

Having gaps in a large ship drill wall is a problem (absent spinning and other cleverness, at least), but it's weird that you're not seeing damage to the conveyors too, so I'd be inclined to assume debris hitting the container from the side. Maybe through whatever those Os are.

No, no gravity generator, and I could absolutely see the gaps being a problem..... if it wasn't for the fact that a block completely surrounded by other blocks is taking damage. Some times the conveyor blocks take damage, sometimes they don't. But the cargo block behind the middle drill almost always takes damage tot he point of not being usable, while the blocks around it are fine. What physics allow damage to pass through blocks?!
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115]