Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 223906 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »

Space Engineers
From the guys who made 'Miner Wars'

What you might have been E-mailed had you purchased miner wars at some point:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Space Engineers 
Space Engineers - a new sanbox game from Keen Software House

Prague, Czech Republic, September 9th, 2013

Dear Miner War Fans,

We are happy to announce our new game Space Engineers.

Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.

Space Engineers - Alpha Footage 8/2013
Space Engineers utilizes a realistic volumetric-based physics engine: all objects can be assembled, disassembled, damaged and destroyed.

Space Engineers is inspired by reality and by how things work. Think about modern-day NASA technology extrapolated 60 years into the future. Space Engineers strives to follow the laws of physics and doesn't use technologies that wouldn't be feasible in the near future.

In-game alpha video and more information can be found at http://www.SpaceEngineersGame.com/

More details about the decisions that led to this project and its development can be found at http://blog.marekrosa.org/2013/09/space-engineers-announced-development.html

Space Engineers is currently in its alpha stage of development and will soon be available on Steam Early Access.

For the latest news on Space Engineers, like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SpaceEngineers and follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SpaceEngineers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like they realized Miner Wars was lethally boring and are trying to make something a little more fun. Even if it turns out to be a flop you should at least check out what appears to be some cool destruction mechanics.

Does it have potential? Yea, will it be capitalized on? We will see.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »

I must say, it does look fantastic.

I wonder how long it takes to put something together and to collect the parts.

-

"Man, I built such an awesome ship... I should get to the bridge and go for a spin...

Hey... What is that red guy doing?"

Note - Please watch the offical alpha video first.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:56:48 pm by deoloth »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:08 pm »

Dear goodness Everyone is passing Blockade runner.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:25:37 pm »

Hmm. Not sure if this game will really be up my alley or not, but sounds worth watching at least.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:35:31 pm »

Really? No. Miner was was supposed to be this. And instead they released a half assed campaign with SPHESS RUSSIAN shooting. Yeah, no. Don't even bother.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 05:17:32 pm »

Definitely keeping my eye on it.

Edit: Looks like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: Serious Edition. I liked Nuts and Bolts but it tragically suffered from having basically nothing to do with your awesome creations. Space Engineers looks like something I'd want if there's just something to do. Even just blowing up other players.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 05:20:58 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:27 pm »

crashing ships look nice but there seems to be no real engineering in building things.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 05:30:18 pm »

Really? No. Miner was was supposed to be this. And instead they released a half assed campaign with SPHESS RUSSIAN shooting. Yeah, no. Don't even bother.

... BUT WE CAN STILL HOPE, RIGHT!?

crashing ships look nice but there seems to be no real engineering in building things.

Ya, but... geometry, man.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »

This looks very cool.  That said the website and forum are extremely barren, that makes me a bit nervous.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:50:24 pm »

To be fair, they just announced it. I wouldn't be worried about that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I checked the dates.  I'm just a little leery of something that visually polished as an alpha, and that the developers have nothing to say about it.  Just makes me a bit nervous.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:16 pm »

So, is there any planned gameplay, or is it just a "Build ships and smash them together" kind of thing?
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 09:14:05 pm »

Edit: Looks like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts: Serious Edition. I liked Nuts and Bolts but it tragically suffered from having basically nothing to do with your awesome creations. Space Engineers looks like something I'd want if there's just something to do. Even just blowing up other players.
This so much.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 09:12:02 pm »

Early Access coming to Steam on October 23rd, $14.99

The initial release on Early Access will focus on core mechanics: creative mode building, physics simulation and destruction. Additional features will be released in following updates.

Prior to the Early Access launch day, a walk-through “early tutorial” video will be released. This video will demonstrate the state of Space Engineers on day one. Customers who are willing to purchase the game will see what they are getting.

Further information will be released as well: system requirements and a list of features split into three categories: finished features, work in progress and temporary disabled.

Not sure if I'll be putting my fifteen dollars down this early, but they've stated that we'll at least have a clear picture of what's actually done in the game when it goes on early access (sounds like just basic engine stuff). I still worry about whether they will be making actual content, but fun things come to mind... build ships/fleets and have a Team Deathmatch? Try to mine for resources and expand in a dangerous, shifting asteroid field? Sounds like there's potential there.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:01 pm »

well, 9 examples out of 10 say they'll fuck it up, but regardless of that depressing and likely reality:

Anyone game for spaceship jousting?

EDIT: that video was quite awesome!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 09:52:43 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114