Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 114

Author Topic: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!  (Read 223922 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Spacegineers... Spengineers... Space-Genners... SPACE ENGINEERS!
« Reply #1650 on: April 09, 2019, 11:03:35 am »

Yeah that's why I'm asking. I don't have the DLC so can't test. I am assuming interact means build/destroy or 'use' but who knows! Maybe you can't shoot it?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 09, 2019, 11:10:53 am »

I mean not placing cosmetics is not a huge issue, not being able to enter a ship because it uses the premium cockpit is another thing.

Arma 3 does this very well: if you happen across some dlc item you get an advertisement at mission end and some overlay in game; you can drop the item to make the overlay stop, but the game doesn't prevent you to use the items in a pinch, say you are pinned by a tank and need that one launcher off a dead ally you can still use it.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:05 pm »

space engineers seem to have hit a roadbump with the latest dlc debacle.  They really need to fix pronto before the community turns

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 15, 2019, 11:09:44 pm »

I don't mean to sound reductive, but the arguments against the DLC seem to center around what I can only describe as non-issues for the most part.  There are a number of people making slippery-slope arguments regarding DLC that may not be completely out-of-line, but the enormous bulk of what I'm seeing is the "Why no free content updates forever" type, and that absolutely screams of mindless entitlement.

I bought in very early, for an extremely reasonable price, and it appears that the sales have been adequate to give Keen a decent boost, allowing them to branch out into other ideas (whether or not that was well advised or not is open to debate), now they deem the core product finished, and for the most part I agree with them.  If they want to put together minor DLCs with some blocks that look nice (yes, I've seen the arguments about the storage blocks and cockpit being PTW) that allow them to continue development of the game I really don't see an issue with it.

There may be some things for them to smooth out, not being able to grind the DLC cockpit is somewhat problematic, but I haven't seen any reports anywhere as to whether or not that extends to shooting the hell out of it, and so long as inflicting damage on the block is possible then there is no pay to win factor here.

All I really see is a lot of noise (and really, not that much honestly) about a minor issue.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

deoloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 15, 2019, 11:49:20 pm »

I don't mean to sound reductive, but the arguments against the DLC seem to center around what I can only describe as non-issues for the most part.  There are a number of people making slippery-slope arguments regarding DLC that may not be completely out-of-line, but the enormous bulk of what I'm seeing is the "Why no free content updates forever" type, and that absolutely screams of mindless entitlement.

I pretty much agree with your entire post. As it is, Space Engineers has delivered quite a fair bit more then I ever actually expected it to when it first came out, such as planets.

Glancing over at steam and reddit, it does seem that some people do love blowing the issue up with false info. I've seen one notable thread where someone claimed the deco blocks were completely invincible to weapons from people who did not have it, which I easily verified was not the case in a local lan with my roommates.
I do agree with alot of people about wishing more development was done on A.I. factions and critters in general, but generally $4 for a deco patch is minor next to many of the other games that have released similar cosmetic packs for generally $15 or so. Or warframe, which while I love, overcharges on the tennogen stuff by a lot in my opinion.

I think they do need to iron out some of the issues with deco blocks, but otherwise if they keep core development going further then I am fine supporting them with these packs, as long as anything added is essentially only cosmetically different from an already existing type of functioning block.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: April 16, 2019, 01:09:06 pm »

I've gotten probably 10x the entertainment value out of this game in comparison to what I paid for it.

I don't care what the release for DLC (within reason, no horse-armor please). They deserve the money.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: April 16, 2019, 04:22:46 pm »

Hey, update on the DLC, from the Steam store page itself:

PREMIUM CONTENT FUNCTIONALITY UPDATE:

After carefully evaluating feedback provided by the community, we have decided to make a major change to the functionality of this pack. Soon, all players will be able to interact with these premium blocks regardless of whether they own the Decorative Pack or not. In the case that a player doesn't own it, they will just not be able to build the blocks. This change will be made in an update releasing in the coming weeks.

So, seems like Keen is in fact listening, and has made the right call about adjustments.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: April 16, 2019, 10:53:22 pm »

Hey, update on the DLC, from the Steam store page itself:

PREMIUM CONTENT FUNCTIONALITY UPDATE:

After carefully evaluating feedback provided by the community, we have decided to make a major change to the functionality of this pack. Soon, all players will be able to interact with these premium blocks regardless of whether they own the Decorative Pack or not. In the case that a player doesn't own it, they will just not be able to build the blocks. This change will be made in an update releasing in the coming weeks.

So, seems like Keen is in fact listening, and has made the right call about adjustments.

seems like a sensible addition and change, that way all future dlc can be interacted with but just not built if you don't own it.  Should have been that way from the start

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:58 am »

Ok, I've made a miner and somehow one of my cargo containers in the center of my ship is getting damaged. I have literally surrounded it on all sides with blocks and yet is still takes damage. I don't think I'm rubbing up against anything too hard either. What's going on? Is it because I have 5 drills on a large ship? This is making it really hard to mine if a big miner will just start breaking while mining carefully.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: April 17, 2019, 02:35:59 pm »

Sounds like debris is somehow getting in there. Most of the time ores just stay in the drills on my miners, how do you have it set up?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: April 17, 2019, 04:50:55 pm »

About your miner, you can have problems like this if you do not cover the "front" (whatever direction you mine toward) with drills and advance too quickly (or have high ping on a server) : a little bit of rock will be missed by the drills, and damage everything in its path, while you move your miner with the "voxel" inside your ship.

Or, if you're more of a newbie, maybe you didn't account for thruster damage ? Is there a thruster near your cargo with its "flame" end toward the cargo ?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: April 18, 2019, 01:14:37 am »

Sounds like debris is somehow getting in there. Most of the time ores just stay in the drills on my miners, how do you have it set up?

There are 5 miner drills in an X formation

XOX
CXC
XOX

The storage container getting damaged is right behind the middle drill.There are conveyor blocks at the C's.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: April 18, 2019, 03:18:54 am »

Do you have a gravity generator sucking in loose ore?

Having gaps in a large ship drill wall is a problem (absent spinning and other cleverness, at least), but it's weird that you're not seeing damage to the conveyors too, so I'd be inclined to assume debris hitting the container from the side. Maybe through whatever those Os are.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: April 18, 2019, 11:16:05 am »

Even small drills can only have a small 1-cube gap between them. Leaving enough space for a drill will let voxels crash into the ship.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:01 pm »

I haven't played Space Engineers in a while... have they fixed it so it is more engineering now?  Or did it continue down the path of non-engineering?

By that I mean - is construction now internally consistent in terms of mass / density? Can you now make a lower-powered motor by using less materials in a pinch, making it an actual engineering trade-off between cost / capability?

I mean, it's a great space-oriented building game, but I was sad that they started moving farther from engineering.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 114