Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weak Megabeasts?  (Read 4023 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: Weak Megabeasts?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 01:29:48 am »

Usually use leather shields due to my (usual) leather industry and wildlife wiping ways on my melee.  My marksdwarves almost exclusively work from behind fortifications so I never really thought to bother.  I'd figured you'd tried. :)

Well, actually, the 'archer' uniform has leather shields/bucklers on it, so apparently I do when I use markdwarves.  8)
... I've never seen them block shitola with it, though.  Either it misses, or the expert bowgobs nail 'em in the spleen.  I think the Crossbow is a 2-handed weapon, thus it doesn't come into play.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 03:58:29 am »

Usually use leather shields due to my (usual) leather industry and wildlife wiping ways on my melee.  My marksdwarves almost exclusively work from behind fortifications so I never really thought to bother.  I'd figured you'd tried. :)

Well, actually, the 'archer' uniform has leather shields/bucklers on it, so apparently I do when I use markdwarves.  8)
... I've never seen them block shitola with it, though.  Either it misses, or the expert bowgobs nail 'em in the spleen.  I think the Crossbow is a 2-handed weapon, thus it doesn't come into play.
No, all ranged weapons are surprisingly one-handed. At least, one-handed dwarves can fire them okay. I've always given shields to my marksdwarves but to think of it now I've never paid attention to whether they actually block things or not. I've always assumed they can do that but they're just bad at it because they don't spar and never get their chance to train blocking. Does anyone here have a clear confimation of a marksdwarf blocking an attack in combat with his shield?

Zan Oltaridor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 04:51:55 am »

Also: Are iron shields better than wooden? I mean they can't break right? And a shield is a shield no matter what material it is made from, right? Just asking because i just stumbled across a really big magnetite ore.
This thread is why I love dwarf fortress. We start at engravings of wagons and end up using necromancy to raise them from the dead, and were-wagons.
I jumped off a ramp in a cave and exploded.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 05:10:13 am »

You're right, all shield materials block equally well. Iron shields are better for bashing, but wooden shields are lighter. Both are valid choices.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 05:11:19 am »

Also: Are iron shields better than wooden? I mean they can't break right? And a shield is a shield no matter what material it is made from, right? Just asking because i just stumbled across a really big magnetite ore.
Iron is !!FUN!! proof. Wooden shields lead to crispy dwarves if a firebreather ever comes along.
There's probably more reasons to use iron but that's the main one I use iron for.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 05:24:43 am »

Iron is !!FUN!! proof. Wooden shields lead to crispy dwarves if a firebreather ever comes along.
There's probably more reasons to use iron but that's the main one I use iron for.

Featherwood shields block dragonfire.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 07:23:23 am »

Featherwood shields block dragonfire.

Magical shields, wut. Then again, dragonfire technically is hot enough to melt your iron shields into slag, so suspension of disbelief then I guess.

I use iron shields simply because my military is outfitted in iron.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 07:30:57 am »

Anything shields will block dragonfire. Beause Dwarves are just that cool.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 07:50:28 am »

I wonder if giving dwarves nether cap shields would make dwarves at all resistant to fire, as it might lower the overall temperature of the tile they're in.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »

I wonder if giving dwarves nether cap shields would make dwarves at all resistant to fire, as it might lower the overall temperature of the tile they're in.

Why don't you try? :P
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 09:19:09 pm »

Iron shields will, however, survive the raging inferno of burning grass that may have killed their original owner, unlike wooden or leather shields.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:16 am »

Aaaaand the derail strikes once again!

Back on topic, I once had a single serpent man armed with a wooden shield and spear destroy a fort.
ONE.SINGLE.SERPENT MAN.WITH WOODEN WEAPONS.AGAINST A METAL-CLAD MILITIA.
And he won.

He must have heard of Âsax and thought that if a cave swallow man can do that, why can't he take out some dwarves.

My first megabeast in the current fort was a minotaur, which went down pretty easily. The second was a fire-breather, which did pretty much wipe out a 2-squad goblin ambush and a dwarven caravan. Meanwhile my dwarves whack-a-moled 4-5 thieves that showed up at around the same time. Thankfully the fire-breather was a 3-eyed maggot, so fleshy, and got wounded enough by the caravan guards that it died without my intervention. My current object of concern is a flesh-and-blood theropod (dinosaur/bird?) with wings and deadly spittle flying around the only cavern that it can actually get to my fort through, but it hasn't really shown an interest in doing so... yet. So yea. The difficult stuff are the ones that breathe fire/nasty syndrome spit/dust/extract, or even web... and/or are made out of tough inorganic materials like bronze or diamond.

Oh, and nether-cap (and I think fire imp leather?) shields would survive any grass-fire infernos too. The only situation in which nether-cap burns is in a wood furnace.
Pages: 1 [2]