Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 / Pathfinder questions  (Read 7873 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 / Pathfinder questions
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 09:04:49 pm »

If you make contact, then the poison takes a Fort save - for a fighter or barbarian, Fort is REALLY strong, though for a wizard or cleric, usually lower.  It's worth noting that every consecutive poison stacks +2 to the Fort save, so enough hits will eventually poison anyone with anything.  For those, I would suggest a contact poison and vial arrows - you only have to hit their Touch AC, and while the glass-bottle-arrows suffer an attack penalty, they also ignore full plate armor and tower shield because your contact poison only needs to touch them, not enter the bloodstream.  Inhaled poisons work similarly, and depending how the DM handles it are overpowered, as you can target their tile for an AC of 5 (flat terrain) and the exploding vial releases inhaled smoke.

Most poisons have VERY slow effects though, lasting days or months to have effects...

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 09:17:02 pm »

Is Bowbarian with a composite bow viable?
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:57 pm »

Well, breaking down the class features...

Weapon proficiency is good.

Fast Movement is good.

Rage gives +4 str, which is good for composite bows, though the penalties to AC, and lacking all dex-cha-int skills can be tricky, though Acrobatics and Ride are allowed so it's not terrible...

Uncanny Dodge is pretty great, though less for an archer.

Trap Sense is pretty awesome...

The others aren't very useful, but don't penalize an archer...

Overall, the benefit of a straight barbarian (not an archetype) is the Rage, and if you want that then an Alchemist would get better mutagens, I think.

The Titan Mauler, however, can wield oversized weapons more easily.  Might look into that...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 11:06:48 pm »

Ok all this convinced me to make a second attempt at running a Dungeons and Dragons game... Since I desperately need the experience.

I have one world building guide (For a REALLY out of date version of dungeons and dragons but honestly I find it extremely valuable) but I am wondering if there are any other guides out there.

Also I am wondering if there are monster building guides out there not for "How do you build monsters?" but rather "How do you build them right?".

I think I know what type of setting I am going to do. It will be planar with small planets and ways of travel between them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 11:04:39 am »

Small pathfinder question.

How well do 3.5 monsters function when used in Pathfinder in terms of retaining their CR?

I realize they need a bit of conversion given some abilities do, or do not, work and their skills need adjustment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »

Depending on the book, 3.5s are terrible.  3.5 suffered from producing a LOT of books, with each new book adding something slightly more interesting and broken than the last, leading up to Ebberon and having totally unwieldy Warforged.

Because of this, most monsters either already have Pathfinder stats, or wouldn't fit into Pathfinder - because they didn't fit into 3.5 even.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 01:37:53 pm »

I think it all stemmed from one thing though.

In Dungeons and dragons the CR of dragons is intentionally incorrect.

That and a LOT of monsters have annoying "defeat all" gimmicks that REQUIRE you to know you are fighting them in advance.

Though lucky for me my monster books don't go past monster manual 3.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:49:27 pm by Neonivek »

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:52 pm »

But then there are parties that defeat all those "Defeat all" gimmicks while severely underleveled.

Apply common sense when DM'ing, and.. modify everything that you see fit. Your job is the toughest, and the monsters / classes / spells are FAR from anything even closely resembling balanced.
When you see bullshit, modify it. It's the player's adventure, and it is your world. This is what matters.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.
Pages: 1 2 [3]