Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game  (Read 27463 times)

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:48:20 pm »

Welcome to Necrochambers
Necrochambers is a community game for those with a lot of patience or want to participate in a succession game while keeping their fort their own. Unlike most succession games, this one will let you play through the life of your settlement, letting you pass on the resources and construction to your successor. This will simulate a site inhabited by various groups of dwarfs over a rather long period. Who's fort will be the most successful?

Necrochambers is situated where a mountain and woodland biome intersect. A brook runs through the site to the North, providing a source of fresh water. To the south-east lies a large mountain. Between these two is an area of dense woodland, abundant herbs and occasional pools where fish can be found. All and all, the surface is very fertile in its natural, elf-friendly state. The surface temperature of this site is high; water does not freeze during the winter.
This is however somewhat deceptive. The soil of the place is very thin, with areas closer to the mountain having none at all! This doubtless makes farming rather difficult for its inhabitants, although an easily accessible water source makes irrigation possible.
Necrochambers is, however, very rich in minerals, as its inhabitants would find out. Large veins of shallow and deep minerals exist. The first discovered were large gold deposits visible from the surface, which no doubt drew the first Dwarf settlers to the place.

An unfortunate aspect of the local wildlife is the seasonal invasion of poisonous snakes. Generally occurring in the summer, it temporarily makes this site less habitable.

The site is situated close to settlements of Elves, Humans, Necromancers, Kobolds and Goblins. Expect a lot of sieges.

Rules
Succession games are a ton of fun. This one will be a little different.
Instead of each person playing a year, they're going to play the fort until they encounter terminal amounts of FUN. The next person will then reclaim the fort, seizing a large amount of wealth and inheriting its increasingly convoluted structure.
Oh, but that is ever so boring! To make things interesting, we're going to have a little competition. Record how long your fortress survives, what kind of threats it faced (and how dangerous these were to the forts survival) and how much wealth you generated. Detail any large projects you complete, and any dwarfs or occurrences legendary enough to mention.

Have FUN! The more FUN you have, the faster this will go.

A few guidelines to avoid making the next reclaim too difficult to continue;
-If you send in the Clowns, make sure they have no way to access the outside world. Overwhelming your fort is fine, but seal it off.
-Other hostiles inside your fort that may be left over for the next player (zombie teeth, berserk dwarfs, giant cave spiders...) should also be sealed in.
-If you construct a device to flood the surface with magma, you probably should survive long enough to turn it off and let it drain.
-Dump all corpses and body parts you can find in a lockable stockpile. If you loose to a necromancer siege, at least there'll be less zombies for the reclaim to deal with.

Players (Signup in Thread)
1. MDFification 1
2. Brewster 12
3. BlackMuffin 12
4. TheDarkStar
5. Geallen
6. peregarret
7. Duramantango
8. highmax28
9. Urist McKiwi

Quotes
"Usually a game goes at least one turn before everything goes to hell. By definition, this type of game must go to hell in every turn."- Urist McKiwi

"Seriously, you have not SEEN the amount of bullshit that's just strewn about here. It's so fucking toxic I could die, and speaking of dying there's at least twenty corpses lying in and around and inside the fortress. With only 7 dwarves here I can't just pick all this shit up and my OCD is making it so I can hardly even go one minute without puking by looking at all this shit that's not anywhere close to any stockpiles." -BlackMuffin

"I think we should probably rename this thread to "Necrochambers - an endless series of incredibly short bloodbaths"."- Urist McKiwi
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:38:45 am by MDFification »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »

I'm up for anything so put my name down. I do have concerns though if we breach hell and the demons never leave. Hard to claim back. But we'll see!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:17:40 pm »

I'm up for anything so put my name down. I do have concerns though if we breach hell and the demons never leave. Hard to claim back. But we'll see!

I guess we just shouldn't send in the clowns until we're very, very well prepared. Not that I know where the spire is at this point. I just finished year 3 and haven't breached the caverns; there isn't any shallow iron deposits (hopefully there's some deep ones) and I'm focusing on building the military/building a big 'ole trap.

Anyway, welcome aboard!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:18:44 pm by MDFification »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »

Sign me up too. Also, what happens if you reclaim and you are instantly killed by your predecessors !!!FUN!!!? For example, if HFS would found too early and the fort was filled with clowns, it would be near impossible for the next person to reclaim.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:45 pm »

Sounds fair. Sign me up, I think I'm up for something like that. Might have to wait a few months though. :x
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 01:47:04 am »

Sign me up, Going to have fun turning those snakes into pets :D.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 10:25:44 am »

Wow. That's awesome idea!
I'm frightened to imagine how the fort that crumbled to the end six times in a row would look like, but I can't help volunteering for this!

And, please, dorf me as Peregar (N'th) on each stage. Preferable male engineer.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »

All added. Welcome aboard!

I think I'll edit the OP to add a few guidelines to avoid letting your FUN get in the way of later players embarks.

EDIT: Necrochambers is now in year 4. It's a city of 140-odd dwarfs, with a tiny, copper equipped military. Iron ore has yet to be found, and the city largely survives through the trade of masterwork mugs.
The caverns have yet to be breached. Construction on a large, trapped entrance has been slow due to lack of appropriate metals. So far, only one goblin siege has attacked, but we only suffered one casualty.

Yeah, expect me to crumble within the next week or so. I haven't played this game in a while, and I suspect my military isn't quite up to snuff (though we have good training and wardogs!)

EDIT: Did you know that the above preparation isn't enough to last a few days when the necromancers show up? Large amount of undead outside the fort now. Killed the newly appointed baron, too.

EDIT2: Expect my turn to end a lot sooner now. Undead related complications are leading into a tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:20:51 pm by MDFification »

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:00 pm »

Sign me up *Needs more reasons to play DF :P*

And can you people please dwarf me. Just a male mason please.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 05:21:38 pm »

I think I'll edit the OP to add a few guidelines to avoid letting your FUN get in the way of later players embarks.

EDIT: Necrochambers is now in year 4. It's a city of 140-odd dwarfs, with a tiny, copper equipped military. Iron ore has yet to be found, and the city largely survives through the trade of masterwork mugs.
The caverns have yet to be breached. Construction on a large, trapped entrance has been slow due to lack of appropriate metals. So far, only one goblin siege has attacked, but we only suffered one casualty.

Yeah, expect me to crumble within the next week or so. I haven't played this game in a while, and I suspect my military isn't quite up to snuff (though we have good training and wardogs!)

EDIT: Did you know that the above preparation isn't enough to last a few days when the necromancers show up? Large amount of undead outside the fort now. Killed the newly appointed baron, too.

EDIT2: Expect my turn to end a lot sooner now. Undead related complications are leading into a tantrum spiral.

Have you found any coal? If not, then you probably won't find any iron either since it usually only spawns in sedimentary layers, with the exception being hematite which only spawns in Igneous Extrusive layers (which are actually absurdly common). Try to find Iron as fast as you can and quickly equip some dwarves so Brewster doesn't have to deal with the undead army that'll be occupying your fortress once you die. owo
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 08:38:18 pm »

Have you found any coal? If not, then you probably won't find any iron either since it usually only spawns in sedimentary layers, with the exception being hematite which only spawns in Igneous Extrusive layers (which are actually absurdly common). Try to find Iron as fast as you can and quickly equip some dwarves so Brewster doesn't have to deal with the undead army that'll be occupying your fortress once you die. owo

Haven't found any coal, unfortunately. I think we're on an Igneous Intrusive layer. It's unfortunate. Still, there's an absurd amount of gold lying around. This means caravans are important for metal-related industries. Adds to the challenge?
Don't worry about the undead too much. A random migrant (who previously slew a troll in one-to-one combat I might add) wandered onto the map and just killed twelve of them with his crossbow. I renamed him LEGEND. The necromancer's decided to go practice necrophilia somewhere else. I'm probably going to atom-smash all available corpses/biological debris on the map.
The tantrum spiral's turning out to be more annoying than crippling. If it gets too bad I'll abandon so I can choose to seal off the fortress's material goods inside, instead of having them spread out everywhere.
I might survive, though. I want to finish a good mass-grinder trapped entrance to deal with future undead threats. Also want to finish modifying an above-ground statue garden into an archery tower. Tempted to just get terminally fun so I can pass the fortress on and see what happens.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 09:57:52 pm »

Sounds like your having a bit of fun, enjoying where this is going so far, aside from the lack of story-inspired narration.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 10:07:11 pm »

Sounds like your having a bit of fun, enjoying where this is going so far, aside from the lack of story-inspired narration.

I shall defiantly be doing so, but don't expect many pictures

A) I use Ironhand
B) Hate integrating them and making them look right *is a bit picky with pictures in his narration
C) ( : )<

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 10:11:09 pm »

Its alright, you don't need to make a grade A performance, just have fun. I'm just a bit frank, and I hope didn't put too much emphasis on my wanting of better narration.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »

What the hell, sign me up, I expect that I won't be receiving a turn soon, so hopefully, I can then give some good paced updates with a little bit of storytelling :P
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9