Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game  (Read 27492 times)

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep Canceled: Playing Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 10:35:44 pm »

Its alright, you don't need to make a grade A performance, just have fun. I'm just a bit frank, and I hope didn't put too much emphasis on my wanting of better narration.

Nah, I write a story for every fort I have anyway, so *shrug*

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 01:20:01 am »

Sounds like I'm gonna need to bring my 'A' game to this fort! Wonder how you're going to die? My bet is tantrum spiral due to undead. :-)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 01:22:33 am »

An interesting concept. Well......I've never been good at establishing my own fortresses....but if I can run two years of Moltenchannels, I dare say I can manage an interesting experiment or two here. Sign me up, please.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2013, 09:11:37 am »

I'm planning on doing an archaeological-expedition type narrative of the forts after they fall. I would do more constant narration, but I want other players to get the fort as soon as possible.
Welcome aboard, new victims players!

Greetings, fellow patron of history! I, Urist Jones, present you with a definitive history of the many rises and falls of Ugithmafol, Necrochambers!

The first group of dwarfs to occupy Necrochambers was the Construct of Artifices, a group of dwarfs exiled from the Vestibule of Teachers for their rowdiness in class and poor artistic ability. Necrochambers was selected for settlement as a natural trading junction between Dwarfs, Elves and Humans. The fact that it was practically next door to goblins, kobolds and necrophiliacs necromancers was ignored due to the large amounts of gold discovered. The settlements was founded in the year 60.

The inhabitants of this place apparently abandoned the place following mass infighting. The few undead lurking around the fort, found peppered with arrows, might have had something to do with this.

It seems there was a pitched battle outside the main gates of Necrochambers prior to the fall. There are also a lot of cage traps. The early inhabitants adorned the entrance of their settlement with them. One wonders why they didn't just trap all the undead besieging them in the first place.
The inhabitants of Necrochambers dug deep into the earth. The extent of their cavern exploration was apparently not very far. One supposes they may have been searching for iron; the insane amounts of gold at this site are not very useful as armor.
Another interesting thing about Necrochambers during the MDFification period (named after their leader and eventual baron, MDFification) was the worship of the sun. A large shaft was dug to allow important members to frolic in the suns rays, as was a walled statue garden.

The inhabitants lived in fairly squalid conditions. Though at its peak the city of Necrochambers housed one hundred and fifty dwarfs, many did not have rooms of their own. The dining hall was also cramped. Food shortages must have been near constant, due to the small size of their farms. Perhaps they ate the snakes.

The inhabitants had fairly simplistic architecture, as dwarfs go. Their medical care consisted of unsterile table-surgery. They constructed a cistern underneath their dining hall, providing indoor access to water. Probably a must with undead sieges. And snakes. I hate snakes.
Their industries used a multiple z-level storage system, which allowed quick access to materials if not the storage of very many. An interesting exception was this area I have termed "the butcher's quarter". Dissection of animals occurred here, as did the storage of biological waste. It also contains the final resting places of those dwarfs lucky enough to be interred during this period. The whole section can be sealed off from the fort at the flick of a switch, which was probably built out of fear that their dead would rise and attack them.

The one mystery of the early inhabitants is a real big pit dug off to the side of the fort. Dried blood indicates that dwarfs died here. Was it used for sacrificial killings? Was it intended to defend the fortress, and left uncompleted? Were the early dwarfs just really terrible at mining?

Whatever their faults, the inhabitants were very wealth, due perhaps to their prodigious mug production and vast gold reserves. The city was declared a barony in 64. Unfortunately, its wealth attracted many foes, and its copper-equipped military was too primitive to stop them. The hero LEGEND Kissshoots assisted the fort, slaying twelve zombies with only his trusty crossbow and -Yak Bone Bolts-. He was killed in the defense of civilians sometime prior to the collapse. The fort was abandoned in the year 64. A punitive expedition was launched the next year to clear the fort of undead.

(NOTE: I left the save with a few military dwarfs on reclaim mode. I encourage you to use these to clear the surface of the few remaining zombies and abandon before you start your own reclaim. They should be up for the task.)

Current Fortress: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7980
Difficulties encountered in this forts history include an insanely large population, incessant mass migration, tripping over stray children, lack of iron and the undead.
Some funny things; I accidentally held a diplomat in the fort for a year, making them lose their job. They later migrated back to the fort and dehydrated themselves in public to protest.
Legend Kissshoots actually killed twelve zombies with a crossbow. I was amazed. He just walked in, killed all of the ones by the gate, and strolled into the fort like nothing happened.
If anyone wants to finish my trap, go ahead. The idea is to make opponents dodge into the pit, which would be full of spikes. You'll need to make sure the only path out of the pit is on the outside, though, so they just have to recirculate.
Have FUN!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:22:48 pm by MDFification »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2013, 11:26:31 am »

Sounds like Urist Jones is like the real expedition leader and just keeps sending us to search out these things
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »

oh god

the incessant amounts of Fun^TM

I am so ready for this
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:27 pm »

Hopefully one of the successors can hit casseritre or iron before I take the mantle, or else by that point the only thing we'll have for weapons and armor is Admantine!

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 12:58:27 pm »

Hopefully one of the successors can hit casseritre or iron before I take the mantle, or else by that point the only thing we'll have for weapons and armor is Admantine!

Goblinite, silver if we can find it, for hammers and the like, and at the very least, order armor from the caravans.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »

Goblinite, silver if we can find it, for hammers and the like, and at the very least, order armor from the caravans.

There is silver-yielding ores on the map. One of my main regrets is not focusing on hammerdwarfs. There's probably quite a few silver bars lying around somewhere. If only I could have got that trap finished, it could have produced goblinite by the bucketload and pulverized the undead much faster  :'(
I had plans to upgrade it by adding a section to drop prisoners and garbage on people crossing the bridge. Oh well.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2013, 03:37:25 pm »

Well of course we could create goblin farms and harvest them, but I personally feel its not as dworfy as scouring the map for ore, then declaring the only source for weapons and armor is Adamantine itself :P. When I come around, I plan on building a cat dumper as one of my clown traps when I go Adamntine crazy, they will scream in horror as cute fluffiness pours upon thine head.

Durmatagno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2013, 05:03:05 pm »

Please don't release the clowns until after my turn, I've never actually defended against them, though I have had single dwarves rack uo 40+ kills against htem with iron picks and axes

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »

Actually can clowns spawn past the walls you build after a reclaim? I can certainly make sure they don't get into the fortress, but when someone reclaims I wonder if they'll just spawn where they damn please. Can anyone answer this for us?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2013, 11:35:45 pm »

Actually can clowns spawn past the walls you build after a reclaim? I can certainly make sure they don't get into the fortress, but when someone reclaims I wonder if they'll just spawn where they damn please. Can anyone answer this for us?

I've never reclaimed a site with clowns, but I think they should only spawn in the accessible areas....so if the fortress is sealed, it should be safe.

.....it would still be well worth embarking with some extremely well armed dwarves though.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 02:26:11 am »

Ptw
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 07:24:02 am »

You know the exploit where you can melt down bolts, and end up with more metal bars than it took the make the bolts? I have a steel bar lying around the fort somewhere. We could/should have set up a Mobius Bar Generator.

What good is a dwarf if he's not messing with the fundamental rules of existence?

EDIT:
ICANTWAITFORUPDATEOMG If you can upgrade the food production past the pitiful amount I could farm, we won't need to degrade ourselves by trading with elves anymore.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:04:58 am by MDFification »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9