Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game  (Read 27473 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Necrochambers - a Long Term Succession Game
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2013, 09:54:34 pm »

Can I be dorfed as Geallen or another smith? I love your writing style, it gives some good feeling through it
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2013, 09:57:22 pm »

Since he's already my Dwarf, story-wise and literally no(a bit blunt sorry). But any Smith that comes along you'll be on pronto. Thanks, I try to put some quality into everything I do. I want the story to feel alive to others, as well myself.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:33 pm »

Since he's already my Dwarf, story-wise and literally no(a bit blunt sorry). But any Smith that comes along you'll be on pronto. Thanks, I try to put some quality into everything I do. I want the story to feel alive to others, as well myself.
Its as if I'm actually there... Well, I'm seeing screenshots and that's as good as you can get in DF :P

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2013, 08:17:55 pm »

Entry 3: Problems from within

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We have progressed, but not without the cost of lives. When the dormitory had finally been finished, I had laid myself to rest after a days worth of hard hauling; the soft embrace of a downed(duck feathers)mattress embracing my aching vessel.

As rest took to me, it was just as quickly taken from me, as a piercing scream invaded my dreams. Deathly ill and unatural was the nature of it. Never had I heard such an high pitched yet vocal expulsion of fear cascade my senses. I shot up from bed and quickly scrambled in the darkness to light the oil lamp. I rushed to the source of the cry, to find Kol one of the children. But it was too late, not a wisp of air came out or in from his orifices. He was dead, and the death had been caused by a scepter from Necrochamber's past. This was not Armok's way that was for sure. Armok demanded death through the effort of achieving his commands, not by some shambling ghost whom had no right upon this mortal plane.

To remedy this I had ran the idea through Donovan, as expected he had taken to it and had started the engraving of memorials to be installed in the entrance hall. My wife had for once made herself useful, becoming the record keeper. However the glimmer of hope that was her future, was snuffed out by another damned ghost before the memorial could've been finished!

Later that day I had found a child in one of the crafter's workshops! I had thought that he was playing around, as the surrounding adults just watched. When I came to ask why the child was allowed to screw around like this, he turned to meet my eyes. I saw an undying divine maddness etched into his retina and knew instantly that the god's had blessed him with a task.

It had infact been a ghastly reminder that we were not the first one's here. Clearly it had turned out the child wasn't possessed by the God's, but rather influenced from his memories of the ghosts that had haunted our halls. Hopefully in the future we can make this Fortress more friendly for the children, they will certainly have issues ingrained into their minds as they grow up.

Whilst these tragedies took place however, the drawbridges had finally been hooked up and we were now safely tucked away to work at Armok's bidding.

Recently I walked admist the entrance memorial, and noticed not just that an astonishing amount of detail was present upon these stones(most likely an influence from the ghosts). But also that most to all of the present memorials to sooth these ghosts to rest, were killed by a single zombie!

We have begun hard work on the living areas bellow, it will certainly take some time to make something worthy for our Dwarven kin, and more importantly for Armork. A much needed caravan from the Mountain Homes arrive, and we trade mostly for seeds with what little gems we have to spare from our excavation of the lower levels.

Our ranger recently reported a deadly presence amongst the ecology of the wasteland. We must be especially weary. I hope to expand the entrance wall and make something out of it before we are encased in waves of Goblin scum. However this will certainly leave us in a bad position if we are not careful enough...

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:14:43 am by Geallen »

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2013, 06:16:51 am »

Bump

Well I really cornered myself into a double post on this one. My bad to say the least. So far no metalsmiths yet, so it might be awhile before we can get you dworfed Highmaxed. However things are going, well as good as they can go in Necrochambers. Hope to get some more gameplay and will definitely have another post up tomorrow, hopefully one of better quality also.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:34 am »

Were buffaloes? Wonderful!

It actually sounds really dangerous... Keep a good few miles from it

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2013, 12:15:42 pm »

I would like a turn, please.

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2013, 06:52:12 pm »

I'm not sure when MDFification will make it back, or if he will ever make it back. Hasn't been too long of absence though, he was last on October 8th. When my turn ends, and if he isn't back for a day so shortly thereafter, I'll post a RM. It won't really be a RM of the Succession game though, and we'll go from where I left off.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2013, 07:27:04 pm »

I'm not sure when MDFification will make it back, or if he will ever make it back. Hasn't been too long of absence though, he was last on October 8th. When my turn ends, and if he isn't back for a day so shortly thereafter, I'll post a RM. It won't really be a RM of the Succession game though, and we'll go from where I left off.
Its my shot afterwards, right? I'm not the best with reclaims, but I think we could try and manage this. PLus, I think you'll last awhile

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:29 pm »

Well after my turn, I say we give everyone a one-day notice, including those on the list before you. But personally, if MDFification isn't back on, I believe it would be better to cut our losses short, and start a new thread so we have less content to sift through and sort out. It will just turn out to be less work later, and any new comers won't be confused by the fact the GM is absent.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2013, 08:07:12 pm »

Well after my turn, I say we give everyone a one-day notice, including those on the list before you. But personally, if MDFification isn't back on, I believe it would be better to cut our losses short, and start a new thread so we have less content to sift through and sort out. It will just turn out to be less work later, and any new comers won't be confused by the fact the GM is absent.
True

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »

oh shit Geallen
You're not a master smith
You're a master author

This is too juicy for me
Keep this going mate
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »

This is getting redicoulous..... Too many children eating my food, INCLUDING SEEDS. So now I have a food shortage, and more than that a snatcher came by and now a horde of gobbies keep coming at me. But I need to hunt or we'll starve, even with 3 duck corpses in the stock pile my butcher refuses to chop the damn meat up! On top of all this there is a recently turned adult dwarf in a fey mood asking for bones, must be specific because there is ALREADY BONES IN DA STOCKPILE!

Roshev my precouis miner, also part of the militia is in the barren wastelands wounded and dieing, surrounded by STERLING SLIVER. To top it off Eliza my military dwarf and captian, somehow broke ALL her bones and she is in bed, IN THE ABANDONED FORTRESS.  Yea great lets rot away with all THE OTHER SKELETONS in the damned place, not to mention I saw a zombie down there earlier.

Welcome to Necrochambers, if sticking your scrotum in a vice grip is your kind of thing, then this is the right place for you! Now line up behind all the other unfortunate bastards and watch as all your work is turned to waste.

Well there is certainly FUN! to be had here, even if it is extremely fast and heart breaking. I may be able to turn this around.. but wow it's still winter and it will be awhile before the elves arrive, so running back behind the walls isn't an option.

PS: This happened within 2 minutes, after opening the drawbridges. I did this for two reasons, 1 there was plump helmet spawn strewn across the outside world, and two  expand the entrance to help me later in the game. Sadly I can't get the seeds now since there are a thousand baby snatchers converging on me.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:44:07 pm by Geallen »

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »

Appropriate music

The stark scene panned out before all to see atop this place. In the moonlight the vast curse that was Necrochambers expanded into the horizon. The moon waxed above, its rays of light seemingly immune to the passing of time. Bright jewels ran through the infinite expanse of the sky, accompanying the moon on this lonely night.

Bellow the sky it was as if the kin of the stars had laid to rest bellow, faded reflections of their former glory, now but sharp glints of light. The wind whisped through his beard, and the smell of death and decay was all but absent here above. It was a refuge from the chaos and pressures bellow.

Roshev had grown used the sight, coming out every night since he had carved out into the summit.
Everyone else knew, however they decided against coming out in the night. The deafening fear of darkness driving them away.

This place was a Dwarve's nightmare he knew. The establishment of this Mountainhall had come at a cost, and the debt surely wouldn't be payed until the end of time. All he could do, is fight and work with every morsel of strength left in him.

He had come to revere but also hate the landscape before him with a passion. A few King's ransoms were carelessly embedded into the surrounding area of Necrochambers. Such a thing, a great treasure just sitting before a Dwarve's eyes was the equavilent to a Rattle snake's poison. Dwarf blood bore the burden of intense greed, ever present in the back of his well Disciplined mind he could always hear it"come on its there in front of you TAKE IT!".

A presence without the slightest of noise stood beside him, the slow and steady breaths of the night air the only indication of him being there. He turned to the figure, through the smell of Alchohol and the outline he was able to tell it was Geallen.

Roshev asked"What are you doing out here?" Geallen answered"I'm here trying to find answers in the night sky, around here its the only damned thing not touched by the taint of Necrochambers".

Roshev turned back to the stars, Geallen had been hit hard by the death of his lover Khouri to a dead resident of the lands, a ghost. He remembered finding him in that now morbid office, the tears running down his dust caked face, holding her to his chest.

After that Geallen had not shown a single sign of mourning, his body and seemingly mind all but devoted to the hardships of keeping the Mountain Hall standing. A silence ensued for untold minutes but then Geallen broke it swiftly with a calm and ensuring voice"Roshev I have to ask, what keeps you going these days?".

I said slowly as if to not make any mistakes with the pronunciation"You Geallen, you have blown through the recent tragedies with not a scratch. More than that you set an example to us all working hard with us miners in the tunnel's bellow". Geallen chuckled his finely combed beard seeming to start to come apart"Surely there is more to it than that? Don't you have something down the road you wish to do? That you work everyday towards?".

Roshev replied"I haven't thought that far recently, all I have been thinking about is the work, the designs of what will be our home". Geallen shot out"That's its isn't it!? You are working to make a better fortress for all the children stranded here aren't you? I've seen you play with the rascals after dinner".

Roshev didn't say anything else feeling Geallen had done the talking for him. Geallen continued"What keeps me going, what is trully in my heart that gives me the resolute strength to get through this is that one day the sons I bear will laugh, play, and fight in these halls and grow as I have. They will drink the finest beer from our vast larder and have not a care in the world under the hollowed ground we will carve. And even before that, the wasteland will be ours taken with a strength we will find deep in the earth, the metals donned unto our strongest and bravest. We will burst out from the mountain halls like a force of nature! And take the riches of Necrochambers which is rightfully OURS!".

Geallens zeal surprised Roshev but he still continued"But riches and family is not all that drives me, I feel it in my bones, the presence of Armok his wisdom guides me. Armok lead us here, not for riches, not for glory. But for life Roshev, he saw a desolate land deadly to all, a useless ruin of smote and despair. But then he saw us, and sent us here not to conquer, not to be rich, but to LIVE! Each breath we draw is a howling wave of hatred and humiliation to this decrepit land, and by Armok Roshev we will tame this place if it is the death of us all, because who else will?".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roshev's eyes struggled in the smog and mud of the swamp, his wounds of grievous nature that he himself could not examine. It had been so fast, the gates had opened and the work to expand the walls had begun.

But then they came, a Goblin theif at first running away at the first site of the armed party. Then waves of theives cause chaos, the militia had been raised but Eliza was missing. He and Balien stood their ground with pickaxes at hand, but he knew now it was all in vain as a Goblin Lasher came to bear.

To buy the others time he had ran far out into wilderness distracting the Goblin. He had been wounded now and was dieing left in the muddy landscape all but devoid of trees.

As he looked around with the last few breaths left in the Mortal coil, he saw silver surrounding him. Ingots of pure silver now mixed in shades of black by the tides of time. He also noticed that his greed, that had gnawed him was now gone.

He held onto that the memory of that night as he laid there panting in the thick air. He would make every last breath count, he would live as long as he could, through the pain the suffering. If there were to be a thousand needles in his lungs, he would still breathe and take the undying pain.

For every breath he took, an onslaught of rage and hatred busted into the air, and made Necrochambers cringe in fear, because the Dwarven spirit could not be maimed, killed or destroyed it would live on and it would fight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry4: A farewell to friends

What has happened cannot be put into words. They came the red piercing eyes of the night, they attacked and the militia was called...

We made it back into the fortress as the militia held them off but..

My two best friends have now certainly perished. Roshev ran off into the wilderness to buy us time, and Eliza was last seen by the abandoned fortress.

Everyone else has made it back into the safe walls of the Mountainhall, it truly is a blessing from Armok.

As I write my body shakes with sadness, this is all I can do to keep me from going into madness. Eliza, and Roshev have been my closet friends for many years, now they have piled unto the list of the dead along with my wife.

They will be avenged later I swear by the BLOOD OF ARMOK!

But for now all I can do to honor them is...

Say  farewell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OCC:The double post wasn't my fault this time :P

Well sorry it took awhile for me to post this, yesterday I was busy and on top of that this session of dwarf fortress was a hard one. Good news is that its now spring, and only half my dwarves are starving, with Balien working on cutting jewels we might just make it without losses.

Also tomorrow I will be posting the story for Eliza as well, didn't have time to write it, and I really want to honour those founding members who are now dead.

Cheers hope you enjoyed the read!

PS: Here you go, a service to help with the heavy hitting drama.

Cheers hope you enjoyed the read!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:50:27 pm by Geallen »

Geallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »

A formal request

With that aside things in Necrochambers have gone form strange, to Stranger. With spring upon us I had a migrant wave 50 people, 28 of them children! Highmax you have been dworfed as a weaponsmith. Shortly after you became the mayor.

Also, Roshev survived a few days without food! Its insane! Actually he went insane, I don't know where he is now(suspect he drowned himself in the well, along with Geallen who also went insane, and one other).

Luckily the food shortage seemed to fix it self, and soon I should get the drawbridge for the tomb set up, and get the fortifications carved in so the zombies don't get the jump on me.

I might just make it, even if I have to redworf a few characters. Going to really have to work hard until I can start posting stories or even logs agian, because the place has quickly turned into a death trap due to Ghosts spawning in, and within 2 minutes killing or maiming a dwarf out of the blue(Balien lost his leg, however others haven't been so lucky.. the memorial hall is now getting pretty full).

This has to be one of the most insane DF's I played, I should've gotten more food to start with, but wasn't too worried thinking I could've just dug in first then collect the stuff strewn across the surface. Welp time to check if my slave labour is cleaning up the blood, don't want the migrants next month getting a scare...

Oh wait the entire land is hell hole, alright slave labour build me a big ass tomb now! Before the zombies start eating your brains!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9