Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194]

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 441157 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2895 on: September 15, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »

You can do it like MEIOU did it and create a different government form for all the ranks. So a Feudal County, a Feudal Duchy, etc. and a Despotic County and a Despotic     Duchy, etc., etc.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: September 15, 2013, 06:14:56 pm »

MEIOU WC Roman Empire game. Started in 1356, not the rebirth scenario.

Spoiler: 1516 (click to show/hide)

Red dots are fully colonized/cored now, giving me reach to nearly any point in the Americas. Blue circles are colonial conquests [thefts] from Portugal, who was there before I explored them.

Early game was a total pain in the ass, but I did not savescum my way to victory. In fact, I lost quite a few times completely due to poor planning and Ottomans steamrolling me.

Oddly enough it seems the AI isn't interested in colonization besides Portugal, see that bit below Fez I've left untouched? I'm simply seeing how long it takes anyone to try to get it.

I took Quest for the New World as soon as I got to level 15 trade, so I was getting 7 settlers/year as soon as Early Colonization began, so I think I won the race. Its simply a matter of time before I have North America and all the Carib now that my reach is 350+.

I'm thinking of leaving this save alone and picking it up as another nation. Possibly Wales. I think I've won at this point as Rome, and it'd be kinda neat to see if I can take on a real enemy.

Oh, and I only broke badboy limit once. But Jesus was that a bad time.

This is a very limited AAR. I've had to beat the hell out of all the HRE major powers [especially Hungary] Castille and Britain many times over, so much that they don't even bother attacking me anymore. If they get dragged into wars they immediately request white peace. So I make sure to hold their capitals until WE is maxed, out of spite. I think I've single-handedly caused most major powers to progress backwards, and caused a Catholic Pope schism. Note the little grey parts of Britain, that's a new Papacy.

At this point I'm waiting for infamy to cool off a bit more so I can Annex the Rome Papacy [finally got them back to 5 provinces] and get it over with so they stop attacking me all the time. Gotta give them credit for being brave, though.

One thing I'm not sure of though, is how exactly do you achieve 'The Third Rome' trigger?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:27:11 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: September 15, 2013, 10:15:54 pm »

I only really notice it when I turn the speed up all the way while burning down stacks of BB. Speaking of which, here's MEIOU Oda. 1356 start.

Spoiler: April 1409 (click to show/hide)

Here's a closeup:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The maroon is me (the lighter red is the Capital). The dark blue is Date, the current Shogun, who also happens to be PUed under me. Best case they flip at some point, worst case I break the PU and beat them to take the Shogunate. I think MEIOU also has an option to forcibly integrate them after a certain amount of time, IIRC. I just ended a war with the sea-green nation, the second most powerful on the islands, after steamrolling their army and whittling down their large navy with an equally large stack of privateers. Unfortunately due to the "No annexing non-Native powers with >5 provinces" rule, I had to settle for getting a single province despite having a reconquest CB.

Speaking of BB, I'm currently sitting on 72, something like 4 times my limit. Of course I've got an army larger than every other Japanese power combined, so nobody does much. If I keep going like this I anticipate unification before 1500, at which point I'll switch gears and start gobbling up the East Indies, so that by the time Europe gets here I'll be too large to take on before I westernize.

A minor point of interest over in Europe is the unified Ireland; last I checked they're not doing terribly for AI, and England has been so busy in South France that Scotland has held its own.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: September 15, 2013, 10:24:36 pm »

Is it just me or does MEIOU lag horrifically? Even with the turned-down graphics, it is just brutal...
I'd imagine the main reason MEIOU would lag would be because of processor and RAM usage, not graphics. Though I could be wrong.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06:01 pm »

Is it just me or does MEIOU lag horrifically? Even with the turned-down graphics, it is just brutal...
I'd imagine the main reason MEIOU would lag would be because of processor and RAM usage, not graphics. Though I could be wrong.
That's my guess as well, hence why the lag increases alongside the game speed: more events processing in t time = higher resource usage.

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: September 16, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »

You might try starting as one of the Irish OPMs and reverse-conquering England.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: September 16, 2013, 07:27:30 pm »

snip

The heck happened to Portugal? Or is that just their MEIOU color?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: September 16, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »

MEIOU has Portugal as light blue, pretty sure.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: September 16, 2013, 09:40:04 pm »

snip

The heck happened to Portugal? Or is that just their MEIOU color?
That's their MEIOU color.

So. Japan has been completely unified roughly a century and a half ahead of schedule. On the flip side, I'm sitting on 150ish BB, and am getting -1STAB and -25 prestige events roughly once a month, as well as 2-3 rebel stacks per month. Thankfully my courthouse spam and hefty army is keeping things clear, but I've got a long road ahead. My current ruler is only DIP3, but his heir is DIP9. That works out, though, because the current one is ADMIN9, and all I need to take QFTNW is three more levels of trade tech, at which point I can gobble up the East Indies and Australia, get a colony in the West to start westernizing, and begin the slow island-hopping towards the American west coast. Oddly enough, I expect that my BB will finally run out around the same time that the Tokugawa shogunate brought peace to Japan in the real world.

Other points of interest: That sea-green blob in Anatolia isn't the Ottomans, and hasn't been for a good 50 years. They formed Turkey and seem to be holding their own. Even stranger, the purple South Italy isn't Naples, it's "Two Sicilies". Oh, and Sweden is blobbing. I think that that's an independent Iceland, to boot.

3. Run Resize Enable

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: September 16, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »

Spoiler: nom (click to show/hide)

Them cores.
Still waiting on the PUs with Aragon/Castile/Portugal/Navarre/Foix to wrap up. Just need Italy, North Africa, Greece, the Ottomans, and mesopotamia, and Rome is reborn under the benevolent absolutism of the house of Lancaster. I do miss that deep maroon though, may change the colors file. Pukish teal is depressing, especially while the chunks of brightly colored traitors float around in the Carolingian mass.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: September 17, 2013, 12:23:11 pm »

RAM. MEIOU eats RAM for breakfast. Fortunately I have an i7 and 8 gigs of ram so it flies for me. The only thing currently holding me back is a shitty as all hell graphics card.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: September 28, 2013, 08:35:55 pm »

Man, my Oda campaign has really gotten fucked up in the Far West. I've just been puttering along burning off BB (nearly below 100 now, thanks to a series of 8-9DIP rulers) and gobbling up tribals that I have cores on. In the British Isles the major power is York, followed by their allies in Leinster, as well as Scotland and Ireland. What's left of England just got stomped on by York and Wales, and Cornwall was recently released as a OPM. Scotland's ally, free Iceland (who owns the Orkneys and has been free for >50 years despite blobbing Sweden in Northern Europe) is puttering along. Consequently none of them have gotten into the colonization game (and neither has Castille for some reason), so the Americas are seeing only French and Portuguese.

Poland and Turkey are the two major powers in Eastern Europe, and they've both got really good leaders (and have for a while), so they've been holding steady instead of collapsing. France is there, but apart from consolidating and colonizing they aren't doing much. Funny thing, it was apparently the Irish who first got a ship to Japan, god knows how. Italy is still split between the Papal State and Two Sicilies, and the Balkans have... balkanized. Austria and Bohemia are second-raters at best right now.

Korea's stabilized across the channel from me, so I think that even with a CB for province grabs I'm going to stick to colony-creeping my way around the Arctic circle to Alaska, and down into the East Indies. I'll probably grab Australia and New Zealand before France colony-hops all the way here, and I expect to take a decent chunk of the American North-West. Because of how wonky MEIOU colonization is, I have to funnel all of my 1.6 colonists/year into the same colony to overcome the -30% growth rate that kills a good chunk of them off, even with 99% success and no natives. I've had QFTNW for a good twenty years and only have two colonies, both of which I pushed into real provinces.

o.0

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194]