Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual monitor woes  (Read 726 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Dual monitor woes
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:24:11 pm »

Right, so I've recently acquired a second monitor and added it to my setup, no dramas there. THe issue is that Windows only displays the taskbar on one monitor at a time, the 'main monitor'. The main monitor also happens to be where fullscreen apps open up, with no clear way of shifting them to the other screen. Is there any way, in native Windows 7, ideally without downloading one of them fancy shmancy desktop appearance things, of having the taskbar show up on my side monitor and ensuring fullscreen apps show up on the centre one?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dual monitor woes
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »

Step 1) set center monitor as display 1, and the other (two?) Display(s) on the side(s). To do this, right click the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution". Your displays should be shown in the graphic of the window. Re-arrange them by clicking and dragging them where you want them. They will snap into place. You want the center monitor (the one shown displaying the start menu graphic) as the center, and the other two on the sides. Close the window.

Step2) this will make the taskbar appear on the center display. We don't want that. Right click on the taskbar, and uncheck "lock the tasbar". Now leftclick, hold, and drag the taskbar to the monitor you wish to dock it to. Right click it again, and relock it.

All done.

Now applications will fullscreen by default on monitor 1, which is the center display, and the taskbar will appear on the side monitor you drug it to.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:14:23 pm by wierd »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Dual monitor woes
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »

...that actually seemed too obvious, so I didn't try it. Not currently at home, will report back once I give it a go.

EDIT: Ayup, that's done it. Lockan thread.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:01:03 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme