Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Successfully Accessing Bay 12 Forums  (Read 1370 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
On Successfully Accessing Bay 12 Forums
« on: October 03, 2013, 08:17:18 am »

I am currently using a proxy to reach the Bay, as all browser based attempts to even find the site from my home internet service fail. I used the recent advice from Weird in this thread to try to at least figure out what to blame, but both traceroute and ping find no problems whatsoever, even as Firefox and Elinks only provide eternal loading indicators (in place errors from normal circumstances). The other dozen or so sites I've tested are fine, so whatever it is, it's messing with my Bay 12 Forums connection specifically. Routers; three different (when they've given problems, it's been across the board and solved by power cycles). The current situation is very annoying, so help would be appreciated.

Mildly worried it has something to do with the whole U.S.Gov. shutdown, as the two events happened at 7-hour-indistinguishable times.

Edit: Years-later information-cleanup.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:38:35 pm by Nivim »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: On Successfully Accessing Bay 12 Forums
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:54 pm »

Didn't read the linked thread in its entirety, but what happens if you try entering the site's IP address in the address bar manually?  http://97.107.128.126/smf/index.php

If that works, that means you've got a DNS issue somehow, and there are a few ways to work around those.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:53:26 am »

This is successful, but my searches have failed to tell me why. (A lot of information on setting up DNS servers rather than troubleshooting connections.) Before taking more good advice, I think I'm going to reboot my system and go on a marathon of updating everything and reworking configuration. That should solve problems I didn't even know I had.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:35:37 pm »

If it's a problem with the DNS cache on your PC that could help.  If that doesn't fix it for some reason, then your ISP's DNS servers might be screwed up somehow and replacing your DNS configuration with a public DNS (like Google's) might be the simplest solution.

But, sure, by all means try rebooting everything first.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 11:08:11 am »

It's probably not DNS if ping works.

Which browsers have you tried? What's the error message?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 06:20:31 pm »

That's a good point actually, I didn't think about that.  It sounds to me more like the browser has something like a corrupted DNS cache (if Firefox has such a thing) or possibly corrupt cookies for the site.  Using the IP address directly would get around that.

Have you tried deleting your cookies and temporary files in Firefox?