Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Stupid Fear of Death, Making me Sad Sometimes  (Read 3189 times)

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Fear of Death, Making me Sad Sometimes
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 03:06:52 pm »

I agree. I feel that once I start doing things that get noticed by other people (as opposed to doing projects and leaving them to languish on my computer, for instance), I'll be able to find meaning in life, little by little.

The complexity and beauty of things in the world are also things that I like. This includes the absolutely weird fact that we're able to question the point of living. Aside from neanderthals (probably) and ourselves, has there been or are there any other species on this planet that's ever been able to at least question why it has to keep surviving? It's weird when you think about it for too long :P .

I forgot to mention this, but a couple days ago I remember drawing a parallel between now and when I first learned the sun would blow up and die 5 billion years from now. When I first learned that (when I was pretty young, I'm guessing around 10 or so), I recall feeling very despondent and hopeless over that fact. Now? I don't really care; that's 5 billion years from now. I hope a few years from now I'll hold the same attitude towards my own death. Granted, it differs from the sun in that my death will affect me personally, but the general idea still stands.

After what I wrote above, I'm thinking of sharing something with this community, since I predict it will help similarly to writing these posts. I've got a recreation of a video game song that "just" needs some touch-up and then I could share it in the "random things you made" thread in Creative Projects, for starters. That actually sounds like a good idea.

Thecard: only after I wrote the post did I realize you may have been talking about a book instead of Buddha. Seems that suspicion was right :) .
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 05:45:20 pm »

Have you tried learning some instruments? Great stress relief as long as your not being forced into it. Guitar and/or violin are two great ones, especially if you have a couple of friends who also play.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 12:09:13 am »

I could start learning to play piano if I decided to go that route.

I'll keep trying to do things with my time, which would reduce the pointless worry to occasional thoughts that are easy to repress with an honest "not now, brain, I'm busy", as it seems to have done so far. After I've gotten to a better place with my life would seem to be the time to explore the nature of death. Until then, I'm just not prepared to really investigate the issue.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »

Listen, these are the kind of things people think about, it happens, and happens to everyone. I worry about death sometimes, but whatever. If it really bothers you, maybe you SHOULD explore it more, take a philosophy class, write about it, etc. Death will always be terrible, and you cant think about it worse than that, but if you explore it maybe you'll find/develop a concept that you're comfortable with.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

lue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 06:12:25 pm »

I did consider writing short stories on the topic at one point; now I'm thinking about it again. Already got one or two potential ideas.

I do have to say, now that I've been doing things that require more of my brain than reading things on the Internet all day, it's getting better. Here's hoping it continues.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 03:17:55 pm »

The way I think of it is; Immortality is indistiguishable from Death.

The only things that last forever are the things that never change.

The old dies to make way for the new, but the old also becomes the new, via biology, and in the case of humans, memeology; even if you don't have kids of your own, your influence can touch future generations by recording your thoughts for posterity.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]