Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812937 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2460 on: May 03, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »

YES, STAR WARS MOD IS OUT.
I've been following Jecrell's (and team's) mods ever since I submitted what I thought was a bug in one of his Cthulhu/Lovecraft threads on the steam workshop, and he kindly boop'd me with a link to his discord. And then it hit in the announcements that he finished up this other thingy :3 I saw snippets in the general chat about his work and from the time I've been delving into modding code, this is a ton of work put into something to look so smooth.

And it woooooorks. You can deflect boolets with your lightsaber. ♥ And do force powers! \o/

When I played Rimworld first time, I was avoiding drugs due to my RL belief that drugs are bad. But one day I decided to order a huge pile of wake-up... Now I'll try to buy wake-up whenever I have money.
Perhaps you should apply this lesson in real life? ;)   
You'll literally have a heart attack later. :V

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: May 03, 2017, 11:43:42 pm »

Alpha 17 is out on a public unstable branch.

Alpha 17 is essentially two updates in one and Tynan stated Alpha 17 "will probably be the most substantial update yet." The first part is massive amounts of bug fixes which was the original intention for the build. The second part is more or less general features and refinement. There's no concrete changelog but I believe what I linked is the best information regarding what it adds. I'd recommend reading it to find out.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28:06 am »

Tried out Alpha 17; colonist got stuck and can't do anything. If I try to force them to do something manually, then it says "(no path)". Someone already had the problem, so It'll be fixed...

Unrelated: My Alpha 16 colony has colonist which name is "Dankman". He's a great doctor and constructor, and also pyromaniac brawler who enjoys killing people. Dank memes invade Rimworld!

Note: I also had a cat named Pepe in my tribal playthrough.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: May 04, 2017, 02:45:17 am »

The Starwars mod has some hilarious glitches :P I force pulled my dog and he is bleeding A LOT forever.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: May 04, 2017, 07:28:56 am »

Alpha 17 is definitely still in the "unstable branch" for a reason.  I'm getting freak CTD's every few game days.

Also, there's no changelog, so it's unclear what there is to be hyped about in this version.  The only thing new I noticed were bodies of water.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: May 04, 2017, 10:11:54 am »

One thing I noticed is that medicine looks REALLY ugly now. Seriously. It looks awful.
The rest of the graphic changes are nice, though. I just wish I could play the game since as Conscript said, it's unstable for a very clear reason.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: May 04, 2017, 10:24:44 am »

As someone who uses Steam as little as possible, there any screenshots of what you mean out there?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: May 05, 2017, 11:05:24 am »

Alpha 17 is definitely still in the "unstable branch" for a reason.  I'm getting freak CTD's every few game days.

Also, there's no changelog, so it's unclear what there is to be hyped about in this version.  The only thing new I noticed were bodies of water.
Some of the stuff is outlined here.

One thing I noticed that seems to have slipped the changelog are smokepop belts. They're a researchable equipment that raiders can sometimes show up with. When someone gets shot (or just gets shot at?), the belt explodes into a cloud of smoke around them, about seven tiles wide. The poor man's energy shield.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: May 06, 2017, 02:03:15 am »

Apparently animals can become drug addicts. I didn't even know I had luciferium.

Now I need to finance my cats addiction somehow. What even is rimworld.

EDIT: I bought some fertilised chicken eggs (32 to be precise), they hatched and ate all my weed.

What is with these animals and drugs.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 02:38:30 am by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: May 06, 2017, 06:14:12 am »

Apparently animals can become drug addicts. I didn't even know I had luciferium.

Now I need to finance my cats addiction somehow. What even is rimworld.

EDIT: I bought some fertilised chicken eggs (32 to be precise), they hatched and ate all my weed.

What is with these animals and drugs.
Animals. Love. Drugs. I actually used wake-up, smokeleaf, and go-juice to turn an alphabeaver into a deforestation machine to prep land for farming..

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2470 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:01 am »

Sadly, animals currently seem to eat whatever's nearest, regardless of it's nutrition, as long as it's edible for them.
The only two solutions I know of are restricting all animals to an enclosure and ensuring there's several feed stockpiles throughout that area... or just putting feed stockpiles everywhere and restricting animals from any areas that has undesired food (drugs/meals).
Either way, you reduce or eliminate the usefulness of them hauling. :-/

A third general option is to make a specific drug stockpile and keep it in a locked room the majority of the time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: May 06, 2017, 04:33:17 pm »

Agh. It was bad enough in Cataclysm.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: May 06, 2017, 05:24:25 pm »

The main issues with it in CDDA is its near impossible to tell what you are lacking and that most foods dont have any of the vitamins or whatever. It would be less of an issue in Rimworld, tho it would still be a pain in the ass and would need a few foods to be added lest the veggie-munchers all die from lack of protein thanks to lack of plants containing it.

It would also give a good reason for finally letting us make tea from roses and the like. Wonderful source of vitamin C, rosehips.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: May 06, 2017, 09:29:42 pm »

The main issues with it in CDDA is its near impossible to tell what you are lacking and that most foods dont have any of the vitamins or whatever. It would be less of an issue in Rimworld, tho it would still be a pain in the ass and would need a few foods to be added lest the veggie-munchers all die from lack of protein thanks to lack of plants containing it.

It would also give a good reason for finally letting us make tea from roses and the like. Wonderful source of vitamin C, rosehips.
From my memory of modding my own work (not public), it's fairly complex-ily simple. There are several values (less than 5) which go "Nutrition", and Health in general--vitamins help by being a timer of sorts or value adjustment into the positives and health fluctuates around a certain minor range. Eating 'unhealthy' foods like junkfood or otherwise brings that health value down. Nutrition is just a term to help you get in touch with it more.

So yeah.
Problem is, CCDA does generate it very well. You won't find good stuff unless you up your survival skill or get good loots.
...Just like in a post-apocalyptic scenario exactly. :P It was never bad enough for me as I dared go and forage--it also somewhat challenges your time management which is what I loved there. (Y'know, after I got a watch...but the basic vanilla default is good enough)

It just looks difficult because of how variant RL impressions are. In CCDA, it's a simple but seemingly complex impression.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 278