Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812151 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2550 on: June 12, 2017, 04:26:43 pm »

Not.. exactly.. but the refrigerator mod is nice, stores perishables indefinitely as long as you can power it.
I use it, but I always struggle keeping power going for all of the things.

edit:
I keep starting over and selecting/deselecting mods.
I cannot seem to stick a colony for a longer period of time.
Anyone know a remedy for this?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:31:25 pm by Ultimuh »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: June 12, 2017, 06:06:44 pm »

Yeah, the refrigerator mod has been a must-have for a while now. Particularly as the simple-as-rack mod is... interment in its update schedule.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2552 on: June 12, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »

Make a copy of current rimworld folder (to avoid mod updates), and play only that copy, and world, until you meet one of the win conditions?

Alternatively, if you're simply having trouble finding a mod selection that suits you, perhaps play a vanilla game again to get a feel for what really matters?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: June 12, 2017, 06:13:04 pm »

Play the non-steam version(if yer not already), dont go to ludeon forums, if you get bullshit things happen dont be afraid to savescum/use the debug mode to address. You can also try a themed colony, with custom start and a goal in mind. For instance, pirate hunters.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:58:13 am by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: June 12, 2017, 07:55:46 pm »

Play the non-steam version(if yer not already), dont go to ludeon forums, if you get bullshit things happen dont be afraid to savescum/use the debug mode to address. You can also try a themed colony, with custom start and a goal in mind. For instance, pirate hunters.
Black lives matter.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: June 13, 2017, 11:40:33 pm »

Decided to try the new version.

You know you're playing RimWorld when you celebrate the fact that you developed immunity to your raccoon bites 2% before they would've killed you, and your colonists are resorting to eating the unburied dead because all the food burned to ash during the last tribal attack.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: June 26, 2017, 02:12:06 am »

Oh, that's just disgusting. Everyone knows the previously buried unburied dead are the best. They've had time to marinate.
Black lives matter.

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: June 27, 2017, 04:31:27 am »

or for that matter a mod that allows restrictions on crafting on availability of various goods? With the veggie garden mod, I find it really nice to pickle and can everything, but I also want some fresh food about for cooking.

You could restrict the ingredients range for your cooking job, then set up a high priority fresh food stockpile outside that radius to hold onto the fresh food backup; is that what you meant?
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: June 27, 2017, 04:35:02 am »

I mean things along the lines of "use X, Y or Z unless there is less than (number) of that resource". Basically, I want the manager system from DF in Rimworld.
Highly Opinionated Fool

falconne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: June 27, 2017, 06:00:48 am »

The system I mentioned above, while not perfect, would kind of accomplish what you need. I've been thinking about adding that functionality into a workbench management mod I made recently; might do that in the future.
Utility plugins for DFHack, for improving Dwarf Fortress' user interface.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: June 27, 2017, 10:58:59 am »

Doesn't Colony Manager let you do that?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: July 28, 2017, 04:43:15 pm »

I tried to play this game as sort of a dwarf fortress casual and it only made me want to play DF. The main issue I have with the game is it takes forever to do anything that is trivial in DF: building rooms, making meal stockpiles, getting more people etc. In DF you handle these issues and move onto more interesting stuff, in this game you are stuck on these menial things the whole game.  You can't really do much of anything before your colonists break even if they have tons of mood buffs because trivial things can piss them off . Often, it's trivial things you aren't even really in control of either because of random events or because you lack the labor to deal with menial crap like keeping rooms clean.

That leads me to the most annoying part: events, most of them are just made to be a cheap counter to an effective play style such as infestation, alien landings,zzzt, solar eclipse or toxic fallout. These events are all done in a careless, infuriating fashion and happen way too frequently. Finally, I hate that the enemy doesn't play by your rules whenever I attack a town its simply unbelievable to me how 20 mooks can all be living in a single hut when you have to have massive infrastructure for even 10 people.   I get this all can be modded out but I don't like trying to fix what a dev didn't think through in the first place, so I am not going to do that. Overall, I did like this game but I feel that its just too inferior to the game its based on.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: July 29, 2017, 07:03:24 pm »

The game is intended to kill you, and somehow the dev thinks this is a good thing? I always use the base builder storyteller, or Randy on the really easy setting. More fun that way.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: July 29, 2017, 07:24:43 pm »

That's pretty much the charm and intention of the game, no?
I mean, it's fine to not like the kind of gameplay, but I don't think one should be essentially scolding the developer because their tastes don't match up. The game allows you to go without the events with the storyteller (or modding).
The challenge and fun is adapting and persevering through the odds! Surviving even though your best shooter got killed via surgery failure right before a huge raid. That kind of stuff. It's the same kind of "Losing is fun" attitude present in DF - the game makes it entertaining through how you win or lose. It's meant to be a game about these odds and ridiculous situations, and not just an uneventful colony builder.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: July 30, 2017, 12:40:18 am »

I tend to have the most fun in games where the world and environment are against me, not as much as raiders. I do enjoy the occasional raid, but it's pretty easy to game the system enough to where it's trivial to beat dozens of people.

The most fun game I had was in map with a 10 day growing season and very little wood, playing with a modpack that relied on growing corn to get fuel for generators. Solar power and geothermal weren't a possibility and while I could burn wood, I needed that for crafting other stuff. I had to precisely time my growing seasons in rich soil, control the temperature as much as I could, and hope I could grow enough corn and wood to last another year, while hoping I could live on squirrels and the occasional bear or, if I was lucky, a thrumbo or bug infestation.

I spent weeks playing that map.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 278