Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 278

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 812759 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2565 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:23 am »

That's pretty much the charm and intention of the game, no?
I mean, it's fine to not like the kind of gameplay, but I don't think one should be essentially scolding the developer because their tastes don't match up. The game allows you to go without the events with the storyteller (or modding).
The challenge and fun is adapting and persevering through the odds! Surviving even though your best shooter got killed via surgery failure right before a huge raid. That kind of stuff. It's the same kind of "Losing is fun" attitude present in DF - the game makes it entertaining through how you win or lose. It's meant to be a game about these odds and ridiculous situations, and not just an uneventful colony builder.

I mean if you could mitigate or work around events rather than "300 alien bugs just teleported into your food cave despite being the size of cows" or "some of your wiring has exploded and is now on fire no you can't avoid this in any way through, like, maintenance.

I don't get annoyed because events are hard, I get annoyed because they're complete magic nonsense horseshit with no possible counterplay, and it really jolts me out of any investment I have going on in the game " oh look everything blew up for no reason and drained my batteries at night guess all my colonists can just fucking take the frostbite the gm has decreed they shall have and *like it*
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: July 30, 2017, 09:06:01 am »

Well, you can mitigate the insects problem by not building your stockpile underground. That's slow and pointless besides.

As for short circuits, yes, they're annoying, but having some redundancies and other means of power besides solar (like wind, or powered generators) makes them only really a waste of 1 steel, and maybe a couple hunks of wood if the explosion is very large and blows up the wall it's in.

Fallout is the most annoying one for me, but that can annulled by covered walkways.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: July 30, 2017, 09:21:09 am »

The insects thing is to balance up the benefits of being in a cave (immune to mortar and so on).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:04 pm »

Yeah, I basically ended up dealing with short-circuits by having a second battery room solely for the purpose of switching the power over to after a short-circuiting.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: July 30, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »

Hah, personally, I've modded out sappers.  Cause screw em digging through the mountain into my base.  And I think I may have also modded out mortor attacks too. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: July 30, 2017, 07:52:03 pm »

My current colony is going surprisingly well.
It has certainly lasted a lot longer than I expected, considering the trash colonists I started with. (Our only construction-skilled pawn was a shelter kid with 7 points and no passion... somehow he's made it all the way to 10 without us getting a good builder. Ugh.)

A couple of long-lasting colonists died recently: one of the starting three, who is also the ex-husband of another of the trio (who yet lives), died bravely in an attack by a lone scyther, and our primary researcher (also a highly skilled animal trainer) died to a heart attack a while later, as the aforementioned shelter kid (who is our best medic as well as our only builder) frantically attempted to revive her. Perhaps if he hadn't also had to save the life of a more-recent addition to the colony whose eye he stabbed out after she went berserk, he would have been able to save poor Ford. Alas. At least they weren't friends.

Speaking of that multi-talented kid, he is probably the most interesting of my colonists.
Known simply as 'Kid', he is a "beautiful" youngster with a fascination for chemicals, a sharp tongue to match his knife (which has served him well indeed) and a decided lack of skill in the areas he enjoys, as well as not enough spare time to develop them. I've actually started gaming the system a little and getting him to handle all escape pod rescues and guest negotiations - his Beautiful trait means that, especially with the relationship boost from being rescued by him, people tend to want to stick around afterwards, hahaha.

He also has, as of recently, lung cancer. I saw the notification for it in the midst of battle against some herd of angry deer and at first was like, "wtf?! He's 27 years old! Goddamnit rng that's absurd!" but then I saw it said 'caused by smokeleaf tolerance (massive)' and went "oh... yeah." Y'see, this guy smokes like a chimney. Chemical Interest coupled with weed being pretty much my colony's only method of coping with distress and that doesn't sound too surprising, but this guy takes it to an extreme.
I recently watched as he stopped halfway through building a  sarcophagus and lit up right there in the crypt, blazing his way through a thicc joint before getting back to work. I laughed. What a legend.

Speaking of legends, Kid is also the master of the one pet I bother keeping around in the colony (there was a cat that crash-landed with us, but she was torn apart by a bear in last night's session. Poor Buttercup.), Fearful, formerly known as 'Wild Boar 1'.
Long has he been a steadfast defender of the colony. The poor, brave critter sustained many grievous wounds on a number of occasions - the first I noticed being a smashed hoof - and by this point his health screen reads:
Quote from: Fearful, Male wild boar of Bolt Hazers, age 9
Jaw - Bitten off
Left eye - Torn out
Left ear - Torn off
Nose - Torn off
Left kidney - Destroyed
Front right hoof - Destroyed

And yet, still Fearful fearlessly steps forth to do battle with the colony's enemies.
Kid was the first colonist to truly appreciate the brave boar's valour, after I ordered him to drop what he was doing and treat Fearful's wounds asap - this was the battle that cost him his kidney to a bullet, and was shot at least once more besides. The moment they bonded as Kid hastily patched his many wounds was one of the sweetest I've had in this game. :)

Re: balance, yeah environmental difficulties are all well and good, but some of them truly are stupid and arcade-y. Psychic drones/soothes for example - oh okay, so everyone gets a -1 to coping for a while, for no apparent reason? Okay then game, that sure is immersive. ::) Sure, it's supposedly some part of the setting, caused by some mysterious ancient machine,  but well, I haven't seen them, and I'm pretty sure even those who have done far more nomadic exploration play haven't, either.

Solar flares and blight are dumb, too. Just more "fuck you"s the player can do nothing about.

Edit: ugh, my phone's keyboard is quite derpy at times.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:57:17 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2571 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:02 pm »

Just wanted to take a moment to point out that just about anything that's been bitched about, particularly the more unfortunate events, can be disabled at the start of every game.
(Scenario editor>add part>disable incident)
Doesn't even need a mod. But for those that want to complain that they shouldn't have to use built-in features to enjoy the game.. well ??? *shrug* ::)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:05 pm »

Solar flares are the only thing I truly hate in this game.  With blights you can just have a freezer stocked with reserve food and everything is fine, but solar flares can totally screw you over with no recourse if you are trying to do extreme condition survival.

fakeedit: some guy just posted saying i can disable incidents?  hype
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: July 30, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »

I usually disable solar flares, infestations, and the animal joins and self tame events. I personally find it annoying when I'm enjoying a life or death struggle for resources and a swarm of fat juicy terriers wanders in to either infinitely exacerbate or instantly solve my food issues.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: July 30, 2017, 08:30:10 pm »

At -150C, they usually die at the edge of the map and well out of my reach...

e: Though one time a polar bear killed half the colony before self taming.  He could handle the cold just fine...  Polar bear jerky was I assume pleasant revenge for the traumatized survivors.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: July 31, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »

I just started playing. I don't think I will be able to make enough parkas before winter arrives, so it looks like I'll have to start work on making sure only the person with the parka mess around outside the base. I have no idea how to set different permissions for different colonists, though. Are they smart enough to avoid extended exposure to cold weather?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: July 31, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »

Are they smart enough to avoid extended exposure to cold weather?

PFT! no.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: July 31, 2017, 04:30:03 pm »

Eesh, I don't want to micromanage stuffs for winter. What is the common strategy for dealing with winter? Just keep them inside? I think I will have enough food to survive the winter, especially since I'm hunting down everything. I'm still weighing the pro and cons of drafting my hunter and taking out the boomalopes and boomrats as well, since I'm not inclined to tame them for suicide bomb squad any time soon.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: July 31, 2017, 04:35:28 pm »

Are they smart enough to avoid extended exposure to cold weather?

PFT! no.
They'll scuttle back to someplace warm if they start getting hypothermia and/or frostbite, however.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2579 on: July 31, 2017, 06:41:07 pm »

Set up an indoor area and restrict your non-parka'd colonist there.
And while they're not perfect at it, colonists will drop most tasks they're doing to warm up from anything more than minor hypothermia. (possibly related to bedrest priority? unk.)

As far as winter goes, in extreme biomes, yes, I generally just restrict everyone indoors, similar to how I treat fallout events.
In those times that I don't manage to have a fully prepared base to survive winter/fallout, I will rotate outdoor restrictions among those with tasks, so that no more than half the colony is risking hypothermia/contamination at one time. Worst case, the half that's been unexposed lately can make a mad dash to recover the fallen.
Generally with winter though, this isn't an issue (as long as you have some level of winter clothing, even cotton jackets can suffice). Just keep a nice toasty base and don't overload the outdoor assignments, and you shouldn't have more than the very occasional warming session from a colonist that got a bit too chilled at the end of their workload.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 278